By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is 3D Mario doomed?

ShadowSoldier said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
You just reminded me why I want NSMB Wii to fail.

This

Too bad you guys'll have to get used to it being in NPD top 10 for months to come...  *tear*

Around the Network

It isn't just 3D Mario that's doomed, Nintendo as a whole is.

trufax

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Well although I'm not sure about New Super Mario Bros Wii selling 20 million copies but we all agree it'll be quite successful.

I think people are taking the 2d and 3d thing just a little too much over the top. I really think the only place it might matter is maybe Japan and I doubt it's such a huge problem that the regular Mario fans wouldn't buy it.

I mean we have seen that the 2d mario games have sold better but maybe we have yet to think of the circumstances. What in any context on any platform could compete with Mario back in the 80s and early 90s... nothing really. Thus why even the non bundled Mario games sold incredible. We move up to the more recent ones of N64, GC, and Wii and we see that they've had a lot more to compete with on an industry standard and of course a Nintendo standard as well with the rise of things like Mario Kart, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

Another factor for the success of the most recent 2d styled Mario game on the DS, is that it was essentially the big DS game for a long time. Still is the essential DS game. Actually there is a really good comparison for it... Super Mario 64 on the N64. Sold to a 3rd of the userbase.

So really I'm not sure it is so much to do with the dimension the game is presented in because that would very much so be logically proved wrong by the case of Super Mario 64. Now Super Mario Galaxy sold a solid 8 million and New Super Mario Bros Wii will probably sell a decent amount over it. But that in no way implies the death. Hell you could even argue that with a franchise like Mario that due to the expansion of the userbase so greatly since 2007 that Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii will actually be benefited by that to help increase sales.

So as I said the 2d/3d thing may have something to do with (moreso in Japan) but not as large as we are making it out to be. Even more so the reasons I stated, that it's a remake of the first Super Mario game which is still seen as the biggest game in video game history, and that even difference in sales 8 million is quite a bit.

puffy said:
Many people are missing the point.. Answer me this:

Will the flagship Mario title on Wii2 be 2D or 3D? Which would be more likely to be a launch title?

I'm not sure the battle is between 2D and 3D Mario anymore. DS has shown the demand for 2D is a lot more than 3D and Wii will show the same. The Nintendo flagship (excl. 'Wii...') is between 2D Mario and Mario Kart now. It makes sense, MK and 2d are the easier game to play for noobs.

I can't make my mind up on launch title. Difficult to do without taking the new DS into account. If you're asking which one would Nintendo use as the bigger hitter I'd say 2d over 3d. I think Nintendo might just do 1 each of Kart, 2d, 3d per generation.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I don't think it would be 2D, they will probably do a new unique 3D game.

Around the Network

This would be an issue -- except the numbers that are being discussed are so large that they cannot be ignored.

SMG ranks 43rd out of the 29,656 games for which VG Chartz lists sales data at 8.14M.

The only competitors' console games (games not for Nintendo consoles -- excluding handhelds and PCs) that have outsold if in the last two generations are from one of three families: Grand Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, and Halo. And from this generation, the list so far is Halo 3.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

The thread title is way too sensationalistic and is why everyone is so flabbergasted at the notion of only 8 million sales as being equivalent to doomed. 3D Mario will continue to be made on and 1 to 2 title per generation basis, the same way as it's always been. 2D Marios will probably be a complementary offering every gen and will also be made only once or twice. Neither will be the flagship because they will come out in different seasons and not interfere with eachother.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Kenology said:
Yridian said:

3D games are the standard, and Mario will always be represented in that format. Not only that, but Mario's flagship games will always be in 3D. This is Mario's first real 2D game on a console since what, the SNES? No, 3D is going nowhere.

And hey, am I the only one who thinks Galaxy 2 will beat the 2D game? To be blunt, I'm waaaaaay more excited about Galaxy. I had fun with the DS Mario game, but something about it on the Wii ... I dunno. Something tells me it won't do numbers anywhere near what the DS game did. And I'm thinking more people want Galaxy. Both games will be hits, no matter what.

No way Galaxy 2 is gonna sell better than NSMBWii - no way.  SMG2 is not gonna perform better because you're more interested in it.  And we already know that NSMBWii won't sell as well as NSMB on DS - that much is obvious.

How do we already know that NSMB Wii won't outsell the DS version?  I don't recall anyone thinking that Mario Kart Wii would outsell the DS version, but it did.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The 2D games are just funner.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Silly thread.

Super Mario Galaxy is going to end up selling more than any Zelda game ever made.

Are they going to stop making Zelda games too?

SMG has equalled sales of Zelda: OoT, surpassed GoldenEye, and surpassed any game on the GameCube in sales (Smash Bros. Melee included).

Of course there will be more 3D Marios. They'll just make 2D Marios as well. As long as people keep buying I don't see the problem at all.