By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
saicho said:
yushire said:
3-d mario didnt live even in N64 anyway. The game was supposed to be the frontloader in N64(just like Wii Sports) to compete with the rival console. But along with the N64 console the game just died.

Atleast Nintendo gives developers hint on how to make a 3-d game, especially 3-d platformer games.

did I miss anything about Mario 64? What do you mean the game just died?

Well the sales of SMG and Nintendo DS NSMB says so otherwise.

The sales of N64 was given, unless all N64 owners atleast 32.93 million of them bought the N64 just for Super Mario 64 alone. But the sales says so otherwise with only 11.8 million compared to NSMB with atleast 20 million and still selling since its launched. BTW Im not talking about Mario games Im talking about 3-d mario.

It will not sell as it used to be(3-d mario I mean) if not, NSMB Wii would be in summer release of 2010 and SMG 2 would be in holiday line up. Even Miyamoto was disappointed with SMG sales, even it make them profitable. SMG was supposed to be the game that Wii owners should own but seem the owners wants the Wii sports experience in 3rd party games more.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
yushire said:
saicho said:
yushire said:
3-d mario didnt live even in N64 anyway. The game was supposed to be the frontloader in N64(just like Wii Sports) to compete with the rival console. But along with the N64 console the game just died.

Atleast Nintendo gives developers hint on how to make a 3-d game, especially 3-d platformer games.

The sales of N64 was given, unless all N64 owners atleast 32.93 million of them bought the N64 just for Super Mario 64 alone. But the sales says so otherwise with only 11.8 million compared to NSMB with atleast 20 million and still selling since its launched. BTW Im not talking about Mario games Im talking about 3-d mario.

It will not sell as it used to be(3-d mario I mean) if not, NSMB Wii would be in summer release of 2010 and SMG 2 would be in holiday line up. Even Miyamoto was disappointed with SMG sales, even it make them profitable. SMG was supposed to be the game that Wii owners should own but seem the owners wants the Wii sports experience in 3rd party games more.

None of what you said makes any sense whatsoever.

Also, Miyamoto disappointed with Galaxy's sales? XD

Link or it didn't happen.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

yushire said:
saicho said:
yushire said:

Its from article by Sean Malstrom, I dont want to search for it but theres a article for it alright. Or Malstrom dont like 3-d mario. Anyway, the debate still stands, even Nintendo abolished 3-d mario theres nothing major would happen in the company. 2-d mario was the stable franchise and Nintendo can feed from that audience till years to come. 3-d Mario NO.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:
saicho said:
yushire said:

hmm I'm trying to understand what you meant. You are saying 3D Mario is dead because Super Mario 64 only sold 11.8 million copies? Even though it reached almost 36% of the N64 user base?

To put that into perspective, a game has to sell 39+ millions in order to reach 36% of DS user base right now,

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Uhhh ... lol.

Once again ... Super Mario Galaxy sold more than every "core" console game Nintendo has released on the N64 or GCN outside of Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64.

Yes ... that means more than every Zelda game, more than GoldenEye, more than Smash Bros. Melee.

Obviously Nintendo was not disappointed in the sales otherwise a sequel would not have been made.

And it doesn't even matter because IMO the next 2D Mario after NSBM Wii will be on the DS2 ... not Wii or Wii 2. The Wii 2 might get the next-next 2D Mario, but you're talking about a game that is like 5-6 years away ... what's even the point? 

Around the Network

I really don't think NSMBW is going to do as well as NSMBDS did. The whole thing about the DS version was the Supersize. This thing drove people wild, and the wii version doesn't have anything nearly as cool. They have a propeller-hat. Oh boy.

When introduced at E3.
"This is the propeller-hat. Man, this thing is sweet. If I could I would wear one of these things everyday" /end lame generic promotion.

theprof00 said:
I really don't think NSMBW is going to do as well as NSMBDS did. The whole thing about the DS version was the Supersize. This thing drove people wild, and the wii version doesn't have anything nearly as cool. They have a propeller-hat. Oh boy.

When introduced at E3.
"This is the propeller-hat. Man, this thing is sweet. If I could I would wear one of these things everyday" /end lame generic promotion.

No one will give a sh-t about super size once they start playing this with 2 or more people. 

The super mushroom was stupid really anyway. The propeller suit is likely to bring a lot more interesting game play mechanics into the mix, like other players being able to hang on to a player with the propeller suit to leap over chasms and what not. 

You are entitled to you opinion, but I don't see it that way.

saicho said:
yushire said:
saicho said:
yushire said:

hmm I'm trying to understand what you meant. You are saying 3D Mario is dead because Super Mario 64 only sold 11.8 million copies? Even though it reached almost 36% of the N64 user base?

To put that into perspective, a game has to sell 39+ millions in order to reach 36% of DS user base right now,

Not this userbase ratio again and I thought this is only made for PS360. Since I wont debate here I'll just make a point, 3-d mario like SMG and SM 64 didnt sell 20 million. 2-d mario is. 3-d mario dont have evergreen legs and lifespan sales 2-d mario is. 3-d mario isnt the memorable mario game 2-d mario is.

And again, 3-d mario isnt in the holiday line up right now, 2-d mario is. SMG 2 created not because there are audience for 3-d mario, its because of the fan of SMG itself. Even Nintendo says SMG 2 have more challenge for the fans of SMG. Do you really think the new audience would like more challenges on a mario game?

NSMB Wii was an exception though because the stages are only becomes harder in  later stages not right away.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

theprof00 said:
You are entitled to you opinion, but I don't see it that way.

I would bet a hundred dollars that you put this in front of "normal" folkes and get them playing and no one will give two craps about a super mushroom after about oh ... ten seconds. 

The reason NSMB sold well is because the retro appeal of the game for starters, not some lame power-up, lol. 

People will go nuts over the multiplayer in this game. It is bigger than any addition to any 2D Mario since really the inception of the franchise. It totally changes the game.