By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega DETERMINED to “CRACK core gaming” on Wii -- Madworld sold well enough!

companies care more for profitabillity than pure numbers. by my recvkoning conduit and ovekrill were profitable, madwolrd wasnt even thopugh it outsold conduit. why well cos platinum games employees are probably gunna command much higher salaries than HVS employees im guessing. to me headstrong games looks like the dev that sega needs to keep working with

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

I misread the title and though this was going to be about a level above hardcore gaming where you did crack so you could keep playing sega games.

why is mature defined as blood splashing everywhere?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Cobretti2 said:

Well for me a AAA core game would be something that:

- has a deep story line.
- is 40hours +.
- is visuals and even more so artistic directions are important.
- has excellent wii controls.
- blood is fine (but not over the top like madworld because fun enough not many people like that kind of thing).

I would mind a FPS or an RPG with online offcourse as they are lacking.

Maybe something in a sci-fi world where you fly around go to planets, do trading etcs... have to fight some bad buys, save someone (NOT PEACH she is being kindnapped too many times - stupid blonde), whilst there is still a mian story to it all. All those side things would help you in your quest to finish the main story. ONLINE OFFCOURSE

FPS with third person as an option or vice versa. Must have online multiplayer, decent amount of modes, LAN MODE too. alot of variety of guns, vehicles. NOT IN WAR SETTING, TOO MANY OF THESE GAMES.

TO ADD:

like few people already said, lack of advertising and shelf space dedicated to core wii games. It is like the shops want them to fail so they can push the other hardware to core gamers only.

Just so you know, most games defined as "AAA core games" this gen are generally not 40 hours plus, are lacking in the deep story generally its just good, and visuals are usually "ZOMG amazing" when they're highly detailed past the point the Wii is capable, generally if the Wii has great graphics its very artistic and won't obtain the 10/A+/5stars on graphics review because of it, weird I know but reading reviews that's generally how it goes for all games, realism seems to make people go wow and art makes people go that looks good, see Muramasa, any Tim Shafer game, and XIII. 

Really not trying to rain on the parade but thats how most reviews go and "AAA" is usually seen as good reviews across the board. 

Honestly though 40+ is the usual standard for RPGs 20+ is for most other genres and 10+ for FPS.  All of which are very obtainable just put the rest of your list behind it and you'll have an excellent game despite what some sites may say.  Reviews are just another opinion to help you base a purchase, the "AAA" thing is usually for trying to say "my game is better then yours" which is pointless since it's all opinion.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

ckmlb said:

According to VG Chartz, No More Heroes has not passed half a million sold worldwide which it would have probably passed easily on the HD consoles but,again, development costs would have been higher.

As for House of the Dead: Overkill, it has not passed 400 thousand worldwide, despite a decent marketing push from Sega in America from what I remember.

On the other hand, Resident Evil and House of the Dead 2/3 Return have sold well so it is possible to sell mature rated games on the Wii, but nowhere near as common for it to happen as it does on the HD consoles.

Killer7 disagrees something fierce. Released on the PS2, but the same developer, and yet sold less than No More Heroes. Really, that game is the worst example you could ever try to use in this argument. Simply put, it is the best selling game Suda has ever made. Thats why it is getting a sequel, and that is why the franchise is sticking it out on Nintendo systems.

As far as I know, Sega has come out praising HotD: OK's sales and made vague reference to the possibility of a sequel. I can google some of it if you like. The sales praising should come up, but the vague reference is just something in my memory. Given how low key I remember it being I highly doubt I would be able to find that. At the same time, it was so low key as to make it seem only a possible idea rather than anything remotely close to definite.

Really MadWorld is where you want to try and make this point, but it is kinda hard. Platinum nee Clover has never gotten commercial success sadly. They hit it off early with Viewtiful Joe, but it has been downhill since then. The closest they have had since then is a port of Okami to the Wii (by a different company even) that managed to justify a DS sequel. Not exactly a rush of consumers to support their artistic vision.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
why is mature defined as blood splashing everywhere?

Mature = What parents don't want their kids to see

Sega, instead of publishing games that look "cool" to have this pretentious "hardcore" label attached, why not make a game that is actually good? Fun and entertaining. There are only so many sheep on the Wii userbase that drink the "L337 hardcore!!!" koolade. Everyone else just wants a good game that they can share with others.

Why not release a new Skies of Arcadia title? Or a good 2D sonic, they do very well on DS.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I am enjoying Valkyria Chronicles just now, and you can say what you want about the CANVAS and the PS3 stronger hardware, but I think that game could have gone perfectly on our beloved Wii. Sure, with some shortcomes in the graphic department, but eventhough, I think they could manage to make a really beautiful Valkyria Chronicles for our Wii all the same.

Segas determined to find the hardcore market on the Wii?.........lol....good luck Sega. Nintendo is closer to finding their hardcore market than they will ever be. They should focus on getting Yakuza 3 out in the west as soon as possible with proper marketing and publicity.

ckmlb said:

Going by your definition of a core game Call of Duty is a core franchise.

CoD 3 Wii version sold over 1.2 million and the CoD:WaW sold over almost 1.3 million

CoD 3 360  version sold 2.33 million and CoD:WaW sold almost 5.9 millon despite having a much smaller userbase.

COD 3 PS3 was outsold by the Wii version by 2-1 ratio, but CoD:WaW outsold the Wii version by over a 2-1 ratio despite the Wii having a userbase over twice the size of the PS3's worldwide.

COD:WaW deserved to sell like shit.

1) bad advertising

2) lack of stock. I had to go to 10 stores on LAUNCH day to find one store with ONE COPY.

3) GIMPED missing modes and stuff. Gamers are not stupid they want the same as other versions.

only reason I baught it cause I wanted to see how the Wii controls would be.