By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega DETERMINED to “CRACK core gaming” on Wii -- Madworld sold well enough!

BLordTheNightKnight said:
FPS does not make a new and unknown IP into a core IP, which is what you wrote about.

By Core IP I was assuming you meant targetting the 'hard'core audience, as in not directed towards the casual gamer. But new IPs have been very successful on the HD consoles this generation as well.

Madworld, NMH were not core IPs by your definition either and the HotD: Overkill fits the description and didn't meet sales expecations.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"According to VG Chartz, No More Heroes has not passed half a million sold worldwide which it would have probably passed easily on the HD consoles but,again, development costs would have been higher."

Cell shaded graphics, and a nerdy hero? That's not a hit formula for an HD game.

"On the other hand, Resident Evil and House of the Dead 2/3 Return have sold well so it is possible to sell mature rated games on the Wii, but nowhere near as common for it to happen as it does on the HD consoles."

That ignores that there aren't many hit IP core games on the Wii in the first place.

The fact that there aren't many hit core games on the Wii is an even bigger reason to put core IPs on the HD consoles.

As for cell shaded or similar graphics on HD consoles:

Crackdown has sold over 1.5 million on 360 alone (yes I know the Halo 3 beta was included early on)

The Simpsons game has sold almost 1 milion 360 and over 700 thousand on PS3. (over 1.7 million total)

Prince of Persia has sold over 850 thousand on PS3 and 800 thousand on 360. (over 1.6 million total)

Infinite Undiscovery has sold over half a million on 360 alone.

Tales of Vesperia has sold over 420 thousand on 360 and already almost 300 thousand on PS3 in Japan alone. (almost 720 thousand total)

As for Nerdy Heroes you only need to look at JRPG sales on 360 or LittleBigPlanet on PS3 to see that it's not just the macho characters that sell.

No more Heroes wouldn't made money on the other consoles it would cost twice at much to make. And we know that for sure it cost less to make games on the wii. Also you should examples taht are similiar to no more heroes.... so post a cell shaded japaneese action game that sold well on HD consoles for examples not games that are base on establish ip's and games in completely different genres.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

@cklmb But how many new HD ip's would you consider sleeper hits in the way that NMH was, that is to say that they werent backed up by massive advertising campaigns.

Good to see you back BTW, even if you have a different opinion you can argue it logically and calmly, good to see!

The shelf-space thing is an effect of the root problem, and not the cause. The root problem is that no-one is willing ot invest big budget, top-tier stuff. Make a big game, and the stores will give it shelf space, it will get advertised, and (hopefully) get sales. Epic Mickey will be the first big litmus test for this effect in the West, but it's already been proven in Japan (as the tried franchises come to Wii with great results)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Going by your definition of a core game Call of Duty is a core franchise.

CoD 3 Wii version sold over 1.2 million and the CoD:WaW sold over almost 1.3 million

CoD 3 360  version sold 2.33 million and CoD:WaW sold almost 5.9 millon despite having a much smaller userbase.

COD 3 PS3 was outsold by the Wii version by 2-1 ratio, but CoD:WaW outsold the Wii version by over a 2-1 ratio despite the Wii having a userbase over twice the size of the PS3's worldwide.

Around the Network
Exblackman said:
ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

No more Heroes wouldn't made money on the other consoles it would cost twice at much to make. And we know that for sure it cost less to make games on the wii. Also you should examples taht are similiar to no more heroes.... so post a cell shaded japaneese action game that sold well on HD consoles for examples not games that are base on establish ip's and games in completely different genres.

Yes, I had mentioned that a game on HD consoles would have cost more to make than a Wii game and how common is a non sequel cel shaded Japanese action game on any of the three consoles?

everdom said:

@cklmb But how many new HD ip's would you consider sleeper hits in the way that NMH was, that is to say that they werent backed up by massive advertising campaigns.

Good to see you back BTW, even if you have a different opinion you can argue it logically and calmly, good to see!

I don't consider NMH a sleeper hit, but I can also not recall with 100% how much marketing all new IPs have gotten, but for example Lost Odyssey didn't get much marketing and has sold over 700 thousand outside of Japan.

Test Drive Unlimited has sold almost 700 thousand.

The Darkness has sold almost 700 thousand on 360 and PS3 combined.

Also, as far as I can remember Bioshock and Left 4 Dead 2 didn't get a huge marketing push just a few ads which NMH also got through Ubisoft publishing it.

Dirt didn't get too many ads and it has sold almost 1 million on 360 alone.

Grid has sold over 1.5 million across both 360 and PS3.

And I'm leaving before I derail this thread any further.

ckmlb said:

Going by your definition of a core game Call of Duty is a core franchise.

CoD 3 Wii version sold over 1.2 million and the CoD:WaW sold over almost 1.3 million

CoD 3 360  version sold 2.33 million and CoD:WaW following Call of Duty 4, not preceeding it, sold almost 5.9 millon.

COD 3 PS3 was outsold by the Wii version by 2-1 ratio, but CoD:WaW following Call of Duty 4, not preceeding it,  outsold the Wii version by over a 2-1.

Fixed. Userbase does not sell a game. Mass appeal does, and CoD was merely a hit series before 4, not a mega hit series. But I figured you would make that mistake. It's one of the most common on Wii haters (I personally would like all the consolsed to get good support, just the HD systems already have it and the Wii deserves more).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ckmlb said:
everdom said:

I don't consider NMH a sleeper hit, but I can also not recall with 100% how much marketing all new IPs have gotten, but for example Lost Odyssey didn't get much marketing and has sold over 700 thousand outside of Japan.

Test Drive Unlimited has sold almost 700 thousand.

The Darkness has sold almost 700 thousand on 360 and PS3 combined.

Also, as far as I can remember Bioshock and Left 4 Dead 2 didn't get a huge marketing push just a few ads which NMH also got through Ubisoft publishing it.

Dirt didn't get too many ads and it has sold almost 1 million on 360 alone.

Grid has sold over 1.5 million across both 360 and PS3.

And I'm leaving before I derail this thread any further.

Lost Odyssey got a lot of marketing. I recall seeing the ad for it on TV all the time. Remember this?

Anyway, I don't know why people argue for NMH, or even MadWorld selling great on HD consoles. The older comparisons you made are not as good examples as the developers' previous games are - see how well Killer7, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and God Hand did on the PS2. They may be great games, but they aren't million selling material on any console. Putting them on the HD consoles isn't going to change this.

ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"According to VG Chartz, No More Heroes has not passed half a million sold worldwide which it would have probably passed easily on the HD consoles but,again, development costs would have been higher."

Cell shaded graphics, and a nerdy hero? That's not a hit formula for an HD game.

"On the other hand, Resident Evil and House of the Dead 2/3 Return have sold well so it is possible to sell mature rated games on the Wii, but nowhere near as common for it to happen as it does on the HD consoles."

That ignores that there aren't many hit IP core games on the Wii in the first place.

The fact that there aren't many hit core games on the Wii is an even bigger reason to put core IPs on the HD consoles.

As for cell shaded or similar graphics on HD consoles:

Crackdown has sold over 1.5 million on 360 alone (yes I know the Halo 3 beta was included early on)

The Simpsons game has sold almost 1 milion 360 and over 700 thousand on PS3. (over 1.7 million total)

Prince of Persia has sold over 850 thousand on PS3 and 800 thousand on 360. (over 1.6 million total)

Infinite Undiscovery has sold over half a million on 360 alone.

Tales of Vesperia has sold over 420 thousand on 360 and already almost 300 thousand on PS3 in Japan alone. (almost 720 thousand total)

As for Nerdy Heroes you only need to look at JRPG sales on 360 or LittleBigPlanet on PS3 to see that it's not just the macho characters that sell.

@ckmlb

You've been perpetrating some wonky information throughout the last few pages, so I'll just comment on these few.

Crackdown sold 1.5m and still underperformed. Prince of Persia underperformed.

Using LittleBigPlanet as the sole example of a PS3 "casual" userbase won't fly either.

Wolfenstein is tanking in sales, forget about that? And for No More Heroes, it was Suda 51's best-selling game ever and his strongest IP. He threw a party once it sold 250k, and now it is at 450k. A sequel is coming and he has stated countless times how happy he is with the series, and how it will stick on a Nintendo console. Heck, he wants Travis in the next Smash Bros.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."