By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega DETERMINED to “CRACK core gaming” on Wii -- Madworld sold well enough!

ckmlb said:
This is a pretty vague statment about how much it sold, Madworld would have sold better on the HD consoles but the cost of development would have been higher.

According to VGC Madworld just passed 300k worldwide, with the right marketing it could have broken that on 360/PS3 in the first month in NA alone.

don't forget most of madworld's sales were after price drops. The game bombed and was selling for $29.99 after a month.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Them, or Ubisoft or EA or Activision/Blizzard... they are all powerfull and talented companies. M rated hardcore games can sell well enough on the WIi NMH, RE, HotD are all proof for this...

According to VG Chartz, No More Heroes has not passed half a million sold worldwide which it would have probably passed easily on the HD consoles but,again, development costs would have been higher.

As for House of the Dead: Overkill, it has not passed 400 thousand worldwide, despite a decent marketing push from Sega in America from what I remember.

On the other hand, Resident Evil and House of the Dead 2/3 Return have sold well so it is possible to sell mature rated games on the Wii, but nowhere near as common for it to happen as it does on the HD consoles.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

.jayderyu said:
Of course there is a way to get a core market. Seriesouly it's all about presentation and accessibility. If there is any doubt to people playing core style games just look to movies. LOTR did fantastic. Why the hell would a movie about orcs, magic and evil plots interest so many people. Because it's entertaining. Take Diablo or WoW. There are people who would have never played fantasy games before that are wow/diablo addicts and that's all the play. Make a good game, make a accessible, make it presentable and people will buy and play it. If they aren't then you made a mistake somewhere and it's NOT the customers fault.

Here's a rather excellent post.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Ari_Gold said:
ckmlb said:

don't forget most of madworld's sales were after price drops. The game bombed and was selling for $29.99 after a month.

Yeah I did not take that into consideration I do remember it going down in price relatively soon after release, but it's better to cut the price in half and sell more games than not sell as much in all likelyhood.

When Bayonetta comes out early next year on 360/PS3 it has a good shot of selling very well and encouraging Platinum Games of making more games for those consoles in the future as well.

"According to VG Chartz, No More Heroes has not passed half a million sold worldwide which it would have probably passed easily on the HD consoles but,again, development costs would have been higher."

Cell shaded graphics, and a nerdy hero? That's not a hit formula for an HD game.

"On the other hand, Resident Evil and House of the Dead 2/3 Return have sold well so it is possible to sell mature rated games on the Wii, but nowhere near as common for it to happen as it does on the HD consoles."

That ignores that there aren't many hit IP core games on the Wii in the first place.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Ari_Gold said:
ckmlb said:

Yeah I did not take that into consideration I do remember it going down in price relatively soon after release, but it's better to cut the price in half and sell more games than not sell as much in all likelyhood.

When Bayonetta comes out early next year on 360/PS3 it has a good shot of selling very well and encouraging Platinum Games of making more games for those consoles in the future as well.

Platinum games = Ex Clover. They make great games. I bought Madworld for $15.00, and even though it's overrated, i think its a fun game.            I have huge expectations for Bayonetta, it sucks that it got delayed till next year.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"According to VG Chartz, No More Heroes has not passed half a million sold worldwide which it would have probably passed easily on the HD consoles but,again, development costs would have been higher."

Cell shaded graphics, and a nerdy hero? That's not a hit formula for an HD game.

"On the other hand, Resident Evil and House of the Dead 2/3 Return have sold well so it is possible to sell mature rated games on the Wii, but nowhere near as common for it to happen as it does on the HD consoles."

That ignores that there aren't many hit IP core games on the Wii in the first place.

The fact that there aren't many hit core games on the Wii is an even bigger reason to put core IPs on the HD consoles.

As for cell shaded or similar graphics on HD consoles:

Crackdown has sold over 1.5 million on 360 alone (yes I know the Halo 3 beta was included early on)

The Simpsons game has sold almost 1 milion 360 and over 700 thousand on PS3. (over 1.7 million total)

Prince of Persia has sold over 850 thousand on PS3 and 800 thousand on 360. (over 1.6 million total)

Infinite Undiscovery has sold over half a million on 360 alone.

Tales of Vesperia has sold over 420 thousand on 360 and already almost 300 thousand on PS3 in Japan alone. (almost 720 thousand total)

As for Nerdy Heroes you only need to look at JRPG sales on 360 or LittleBigPlanet on PS3 to see that it's not just the macho characters that sell.

"The fact that there aren't many hit core games on the Wii is an even bigger reason to put core IPs on the HD consoles."

You fail business. That's means there is little competition there.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"The fact that there aren't many hit core games on the Wii is an even bigger reason to put core IPs on the HD consoles."

You fail business. That's means there is little competition there.

I like how you ignored the rest of my post about cel shaded game sand nerd heroes, but even with this small number of core games on Wii, Madworld, HotD: Overkill and No More Heroes sales were not exactly stellar.

If your logic prevails explain to me the situation of The Conduit, literally one of the only FPS games on the Wii and it has not yet sold over 280 thousand copies worldwide even though Firs Person Shooters are more popular than ever on the HD consoles...

Not commenting does not mean ignoring.

FPS does not make a new and unknown IP into a core IP, which is what you wrote about.