By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Achievements vs Trophies

Simple: achievements, because all games have them

I own 13 PS3 exclusives and not even half of them have trophy support ? Lame.

Around the Network

Achievements are not more original then Trophies.. Multiplat games have the same trophies/achievements and exclusives on both platforms have their lame achievements/trophies.. saying Achievements are more original is a invalid argument

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

damndl0ser said:
Achievements are more varied and thats the main reason I like them better.

For you guys that haven't experienced both trophies and achievements I just don't see how you can say you prefer one over the other. It would be like me saying I like a whopper better than the big mac without trying them both. You just can't do it and be fair. The big mac has enough on it to be enjoyable but the whopper has EVERY thing!

How are they more varied?

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

I like trophies better. I wish some older games had them like COD4, Resistance 1.

gamelover2000 said:

Achievements vs Trophies, both have theyre pro's and con's but what exactly? lets compare

Trophies:

Different kind of trophies (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum) make collecting trophies even more fun.

A nice sound when you get a trophy (the sound when the window pops up saying you got a trophy)

Levels integrated into trophy system

Savegame's copied will NOT get you trophies, this makes the trophy collecting more fun and fair since you will actually have to play the game to get trophies, I saw savegames getting sold so you would get 1000G for the game.. that was horrible according to me.

EDIT: I found out Microsoft does not alow cheat savegames, they will reset your gamerscore and get a permanent cheater on your XBL gamertag.. Don't see why they just make it impossible to get Achievements by Savegames, it should be possible as PS3 has that.. anyway this makes the point of the cheat savegames alot less critical

Achievements:

Older multiplatform games might not have trophies while it does have achievements (COD4 for example), this is because trophies were not required back then.

easier to compare to friends: with achievements you get gamerscore, this gamerscore is just a number so its easy to compare who has a better score.

So those are the Pro's and Con's for each. If I missed anything please tell me so I can add it in.

So wich do you prefer (PS360 owners) and why?

Why is your list for the pro's and con's of Achievements much shorter then Trophies? First off if you transfer a saved game on the 360 you don't get the points for it.  360 also has a sound for when you have an achievement and it tells you what the achievement is as soon as you get it.  For the Trophies I really like the Platinum Trophy so you can show off that you completed every thing in the game but with the latest update viewing the amount of games with 100% is very easy because its on their profile.  Also, you left out the most important aspect of Achievements.

THEIR IN EVERY 360 GAME!!

But all biased aside I'm glad Sony has incorporated their Trophy system. I feel both Achievements and Trophies are one of the greatest additions to gaming this generation and look forward  to how they are going to be used in the next generation.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

I like trophies, but they're pretty much identical to achievements. One question though, do achievements unlock if you don't have a gold account?

Feylic said:
I like trophies, but they're pretty much identical to achievements. One question though, do achievements unlock if you don't have a gold account?

Of course lol

Boutros said:
Feylic said:

Of course lol

Ok, that's good, thanks.

gamelover2000 said:
Achievements are not more original then Trophies.. Multiplat games have the same trophies/achievements and exclusives on both platforms have their lame achievements/trophies.. saying Achievements are more original is a invalid argument

One could argue that achievements are more original simply based on the fact that Sony probably copied MS in deciding to implement trophies (trophies and achievements are genius imo. So many of my friends love getting them, and having those artificial goals in a game keeps those less dedicated playing).

I like both. The tiered system of trophies is very nice, as well as the leveling system. But there is somethign to be said for the simplicity of a score. Maybe something that incorporates both next gen?

I prefer the way trophies are structures. Brone Silver gold Platinum also tells you how good the player is.

A score just tells you that they might have lots of games ;)

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st