By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ok, MS "analysts". We have numbers... How many 360s did Halo 3 sell?

......And now Microsoft just needs E-centric and J-centric games.

MS has Mistwaker to woo Japan.
Will Lionhead, or another developer step up and produce some strong European content?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Well, you have a few numbers to go by:

The X360 sold *roughly* 70% more units week-over-week vs. August. With no truely major hardware-selling games outside of Halo, and Eternal Sonata.

So I'd say that it *seems* like Halo 3 might of moved 150k to 300k units.

*however*, the more important thing: it seems that the release of Halo 3, more than anything, started moving X 360s based not only on Halo (due to the fact the X360 didn't have a huge spike that week, but a gradual climb) shows that in many gamers minds, Halo 3 was just one of the games they want.

So really, the issue is: how many units can you say a game like Wii Sports or Halo 3 moves when there isn't a huge unexplained spike, but a stronger trending of sales?

So IMO, it seems, more than anything, Halo is a mere reason for what seems to be extra hundreds of thousands to buy a X360, ontop of whatever other games they want (primarily Oblivion and Gears of War), rather than everyone *just* buying the 360 for Halo - after all, we'd see US sales plummet down to 70k/wk, but instead their 50,000 units/wk above that.

Actually, according to a link in the NPD september thread on this site Gears of War only sold 45k last month and Oblivion only sold 40k, so those titles really didn't seem to have gone up that much if any. Eternal Sonata was at 38k according to the same numbers, so no really big influence there either. Of course people might have multiple games that they want to play when buying a platform, but I don't mind giving Halo 3 credit where it is due. Cause even if they want more games, Halo 3 was the actual trigger for them to go to a shop and purchase the console. Based on August sales Xbox 360 would have probably sold in the 225-300k range if Halo 3 hadn't been released. (August was supported by Madden 08 and Bioshock as well as the pricecut, so I would expect the weekly sales to go down without Halo 3.) With no other really major released that would mean Halo 3 was responsible for an extra 200-300k XBox 360 sold. 

Wow, a subdued stickball and kn and what's more surprising I generally agree with both for a change.

albionus said:
Wow, a subdued stickball and kn and what's more surprising I generally agree with both for a change.

Hey, when I get lumped in with Mr. Stick, I'm (as the Jeffersons would say) Movin' on Up!

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Halo 3 sold exactly 0 systems, because everyone who wanted it already owned a 360. The increase in console sales is merely coincidental.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

I think Gears of Gods and King_of_the_castle are on two completely opposite ends of the crazy meter...but both crazy nevertheless =P

Anyways, my answer to the topic would be that it sold less than I think MS was hoping for but it still did quite well. I am very interested to see how the current trend develops as we move into the holidays.

To Each Man, Responsibility
king_of_the_castle said:
Halo 3 sold exactly 0 systems, because everyone who wanted it already owned a 360. The increase in console sales is merely coincidental.

Or maybe it sold a negative number of systems?

Sqrl: I think you missed the sarcasm / dry humor. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

It was obvious that Halo 3 wont be a console seller like FFVII was for the PSone ... most H3 sales numbers are made by people whom allready bought a 360 :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Bottom line is; even with the "Halo boost", which is by far the most anticipated title slated for 360, sales are far from good enough to reclaim first place or stay significantly ahead of PS3.
I wonder how the 360 will do next year, when their ultimate game year had such a small impact overall?
Then again, MP3 did little to improve Ninty sales as well (not that it's needed at the time...).

Mummel - but with VGC information out now, the X360, 3 weeks after Halo 3's launch, is still 35,000 units/wk ahead of Wii. That's a pretty major shift, considering at one point the Wii was beating it 2.5:1.

Sales are indeed far from good enough to reclaim #1, but at the same time, sales are FAR better than they ever have been too. The biggest question that can't be solved is October. If the X360 did indeed trend with -5% drops the whole 4 weeks, that'd still keep the X360 ahead of the Wii (unless the Wii starts trending ahead quite a bit). If that actually stays similar for awhile.....November and December could be very, very interesting.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.