By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Natal may cost you

HanzoTheRazor said:
Pricing is key, which will be yet another benefit for SONY's Motion Controller.

Except that Sony's Motion controller will probably be just as expensive as most modern controllers at $50 or $60, and requires the Playstation Eye which is a $40 add-on. If people are lucky, Sony will bundle that with a "Wii Play like game" for $100 or $120 which can hardly be called inexpensive ...

This just got me thinking that, while I still think the stand alone Wii MotionPlus is a "Rip Off", the pricing of the Wii MotionPlus is starting to seem like a bargain being that you may be able to buy 2 or 3 games that are bundled with the Wii MotionPlus (and the additional MotionPlus add-ons to complete your set) for less than it will cost you to buy either competitors add-ons with a game you want to play. I could be wrong though, and both Microsoft and Sony could surprise me, but right now it is starting to look like Nintendo's pricing is pretty cheap relatively.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
HanzoTheRazor said:

Except that Sony's Motion controller will probably be just as expensive as most modern controllers at $50 or $60, and requires the Playstation Eye which is a $40 add-on. If people are lucky, Sony will bundle that with a "Wii Play like game" for $100 or $120 which can hardly be called inexpensive ...

This just got me thinking that, while I still think the stand alone Wii MotionPlus is a "Rip Off", the pricing of the Wii MotionPlus is starting to seem like a bargain being that you may be able to buy 2 or 3 games that are bundled with the Wii MotionPlus (and the additional MotionPlus add-ons to complete your set) for less than it will cost you to buy either competitors add-ons with a game you want to play. I could be wrong though, and both Microsoft and Sony could surprise me, but right now it is starting to look like Nintendo's pricing is pretty cheap relatively.

Well, Natal plays 4 people with one device.  The equivalent for the Wii would be 4 motes, nunchuks, and Motion+s.

But if you aren't going to be getting a setup for 4 player play, then Natal will have a higher monetary cost.

I think a high price point will really hurt its success.  I have no plans on picking it up right away...prolly not unless it proves to be worth it from reviews, gets games that appeal to me, and the price is under $50-$60 which may be awhile.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

JaggedSac said:
HappySqurriel said:
HanzoTheRazor said:

Well, Natal plays 4 people with one device.  The equivalent for the Wii would be 4 motes, nunchuks, and Motion+s.

But if you aren't going to be getting a setup for 4 player play, then Natal will have a higher monetary cost.

Not really ... If we're going down that route you would have to add 4 XBox controllers because 4 Wiimotes + 4 Nunchucks + 4 Motion Plus enables you to play 99% of the Wii's library in 4 player mode while Natal only gives you access to a handful of games.

Regardless of that, I think the most likely situation is people who're buying these devices as an upgrade for a system they already own to play it in a similar way to how they currently use their system. A person who plays the Wii with 2 players locally will likely be interested in 2 Wii MotionPlus devices, while a person who mostly plays single player XBox 360 will look to have the Natal justified on single player alone.

All I am saying is that in order for 4 people to enjoy the full capabilities of the 360's motion controlled gaming at one time, they have to buy 1 device. That is not the case for the others.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
HappySqurriel said:
HanzoTheRazor said:

Games playable completely with NATAL will be rare so you need controllers to play with NATAL..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

The next iteration of the X360 will come bundled with Natal at $499 launch...

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Shoestar said:
The next iteration of the X360 will come bundled with Natal at $499 launch...

Thanks for clearing everything up.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Not good then.
I believe one of the reasons for the Wii's huge success was it's price point.
I just don't see Natal catching on if the price is big.

Natal as an add on is the only feasible way that MS could do this.

Why would they want to put in an expensive piece of equipment only to let sony counter with a price cut? MS can't do a price cut and give away natal for free, not when the whole thing costs them $60 to make. That ain't happening.

Ahh. I do give MS props for trying, but just trying isn't enough as MS needs to do something that makes more sense economically than natal.