By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Natal may cost you

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/microsoft-to-bundle-project-natal-with-every-xbox/

Here is another view on Project Natal pricing.
Basically, this article speculates that Microsoft will bundle it with every unit -- without changing the base price of the Xbox 360 (much).
If that is the case, it cannot charge too too much to those who already have the console.

Mike from Morgantown
(article appears below)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft to Bundle Project Natal with Every Xbox?

Posted October 9, 2009 by James Brightman

Next year's launch of Project Natal should be a major event for Microsoft and the game industry. The details surrounding the launch still remain shrouded in mystery, however. How will Microsoft price it? Will it come bundled with any Xbox 360 SKUs? According to Epic Games VP Mark Rein, who recently spoke with OXM, Microsoft will indeed pack in the motion sensing camera with all new 360s.

"I think they said they were going to ship Natal with every Xbox when they actually launch the thing, so everybody will have one," he said. "And then they are going to sell it to everybody who doesn't have one. Or try."

We've pinged Microsoft for comment, but haven't heard back yet. [Update: A spokesperson told us, "Microsoft has not made any announcements about Project Natal’s availability, only that we’re excited that Project Natal will work with every Xbox 360 sold today and tomorrow."]

That said, the company has repeatedly compared Project Natal to the launch of a new console, and more recently Microsoft Game Studios' corporate vice president Phil Spencer said that just like multiplayer, motion is going to become a standard feature for most titles. If Microsoft wants Project Natal to have a large enough installed base, then bundling the camera with new 360 SKUs certainly would make sense.

EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told IndustryGamers, "Long-term, the Natal will be a peripheral shipped with every Xbox 360 unit. At launch, however, Natal will be an optional purchase. It is not as easy as one thinks to simply replace all current hardware SKUs on retail shelves with ones that include the Natal. I believe it is Microsoft's strategy to maintain a $249-$299 price point throughout the remainder of the hardware cycle. Microsoft will achieve this by introducing new features to its hardware to increase the Xbox 360's value and offsetting the depreciation home consoles realize as time moves forward."

Elsewhere in the Rein interview, the Epic VP expressed his excitement about Natal (Unreal powered many of the Natal demos at E3) and he intends to support the platform fully. "I have no idea what we're going to do from a game standpoint, but from an engine standpoint, it's definitely cool stuff and we will support it. I think any future Xbox games we make will have some Natal support. We always want to have something that exploits the unique capabilities of a platform," he said, adding, "I think everyone will do something that exploits Natal once it's out there and everyone has it. So will people be able to benefit from it? Yes. And then if they want to make that 'oh my god' really cool Natal experience, well, we got the engine for that. I'm pretty psyched about it."

So does this mean that Gears of War 3 could support Natal? Possibly. Rein commented, "Yeah, I can totally see myself sitting in front of my TV using Natal to play games like Gears of War, Call of Duty, or whatever first-person shooter with my buddies. I want to do a hand signal that tells my friend, 'Go over there.' Instead of even saying it on Live, I just want to motion, 'Go over there.' Or if I want to throw a grenade, I just lift my right hand off the controller, throw the grenade, then put my hand back on the controller.

"I don't think we're going to change the hardcore experience that so many people love so well. Look at Gears of War, we sold over 11 million games - people clearly like that kind of experience. Call of Duty sells millions every time it ships. People clearly enjoy that experience. You wouldn't change Halo, but you could, if you had Natal, at least to simplify some of the controls."

Interestingly, back in July, Epic's Cliff Bleszinski said that Natal wouldn't be a good fit for Gears, so we're curious to see what happens. Judging by Rein's remarks, we think Gears 3 will at least support Natal with some optional hand motions, but won't force core gamers to use it.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I think natal looks really boring and that it lagging. Funny perhaps one quarter,Then stand on the shelf.

I think the success or failure of Natal depends on what software/games they pack in with it. Though the Wii has many grate games it sold well because of the Wii Sports packin. If Microsoft can do the same with Natal it will do well. The same is true for the PS3 wand. The reason why neither the Xbox Cam or the PS Eye did well was the lack of software that interested a large audience.

Both Sony and Microsoft should take a look at WiiFit, Guitar Hero, Wii Zapper, to get their cues how the right software moves peripherals no matter how good or bad.

Natal will cost you!.
I remember Krazy Ken said that to Sony PS3 hopefuls at E3 in 2005....didn't turn
out well for him and the PS3 did it?....this is a bad sign if gamers have to go out
and spend more money....it will be like Bluray, nobosy wants it, but everyone has
to pay for it.

kitler53 said:
daroamer said:
Impulsivity said:
Who didn't expect this? I mean seriously, its Microsoft.

They charge 100 dollars for a friggin cheapo wireless adapter (free for Wii and PS3), charge 150 dollars for a 120GB HD (you can get a 3rd party Terabyte drive into the PS3 for less then that), charge 49 dollars for online gaming (which is free on every single other device be it PC, Mac, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS or anything else) and led the charge to the 59.99 for Next Gen games price point.

If this is less then 200 dollars I'll be amazed. I have no idea why anyone would pay that personally, I mean it looks kind of interesting but really only a step above what the eyetoy has done for years. I'm certainly much happier to pay 30 bucks for a Wii or PS3 style motion stick then any insanely expensive "exiting new thing" solution.

Incidentally you can use all kinds of cameras with the PS3 even, yes, the Xbox live camera of all things. You can also use just about any mic, not just the PS3 mic, any keyboard/mouse, not just Sony branded ones (if sony branded keyboards even exist). I'm 90% sure you'll be able to use a 3rd party Motion controller soon enough as well, thats just how Sony rolls.

For those estimating nearly 100 dollars for the PS3 version of motion controllers I bet the real cost will be half that, or one fourth the Natal price tag (much like Wii costs for motion controls)

I REALLY wish people would understand what the hell Natal is before speaking.  If Natal was nothing more than Eyetoy it wouldn't be getting the buzz from developers that it is.

What people seem to fail to realize is that it's NOT just a camera and microphone.  It has software built in to analyze and interpret the data is receives. 

For example, any microphone can listen to you and record what you're saying, but it doesn't UNDERSTAND you.  That job requires software to interpret the sounds that the microphone is hearing into words that games can understand.  Sure, the developer can program their own speech recognition software, but Natal is built on the Microsoft speech recognition software that they have been developing for YEARS.   This is complex stuff. 

The same goes for the realtime skeletal tracking and face recognition.  Beyond the fact that Eyetoy cannot see depth, something has to take this data and construct it into something that developers and actually use.  Face recognition?  Same thing.  Eyetoy can see if there is a face there, but can it determine who you are?  No.

All of these are things that different devices can do to varying degrees, but what Microsoft has done is combine these into a cohesive package that is more than the sum of it's parts.

Developers don't need to take raw data like sounds, images and depth information and create software to interpret that data into something USEABLE, Natal does that internally.  All developers need to do is access the output and THAT is why they are excited.

so natal is the eyetoy with software to interpet the data?

but anywho...

1. according to Peter M. Milo doesn't reconize what you are saying - it only reconizes tone.  it was in his explanation of the "tricks" milo was using to create the experience shown at E3.  I follow natal pretty close cause i find it interesting and i haven't seen even a faint suggestion that natal has the software support for full voice reconition.  if you have prove otherwise i would greatly apprecite seeing that.

2. (...and more importantly.)  it's not like MS's software support is writing games for third party developers.  Natal does a lot of interpitation, true, but the output from that interpitation is the skeletal system and the game developers still have to interpit that data in terms of how it controls their games. 

let me put it this way, Nintendo (like MS) has all sorts of software support to help developers interpit what the controller is doing.  The big difference (to me at least) is the wiimote/wand are going to be giving detailed information on 1 point; x/y/z location, acceleration, ect. Natal on the other hand is going to be giving the same information for something like 48 points if i remember correctly.  so tell me this,...how is that going to be any more useable to the developer?

...if the developer is going to make a "breakout" game where the full avatar is represented 1:1 on screen than yeah, that's pretty easy to put on screen.  but any game that is looking for more of a guesture based motion control things are more than likely going to be just like they are on the wii - laggy, unresponsive, ect.

I don't know if you're trying to be funny with your first sentence or deliberately obtuse.  Answer me this, if Natal is basically just Eyetoy, then please explain why SO many developers (including Japanese ones) are excited about the tech and no one bothered to support Eyetoy to any significant degree?  Seriously, the only people making the comparisons are PS3 fanboys.  Let me ask you another question, if Natal was basically Eyetoy, don't you think SONY would have said SOMETHING by now?  They haven't because Eyetoy is not capable of the same things.

As to your 1st point, I can't believe you're following it so closely if you clearly missed this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie02k3eAvxY

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just reacting to the tone of his voice. 

Your second point is just nitpicking, I never said it would write code for the developers but the process of interpretting the raw depth camera information and mapping it a 3D skeletal fascimile IS the bulk of the work.  That's basically like giving someone already processed motion capture data, all they have to do it map it to the joints of the characters in the game.  FAR FAR easier than getting raw 3D data and having to write your own code to figure out what it all means, don't you agree?

You're also changing the subject, my post had nothing do with Natal vs the Wiimote or the PS3 motion controller, it had to do with the person's comments regarding Eyetoy.

But hey, here's another question for you.  Why are Sony even bothering to release a motion controller?  Eyetoy can already do everything Natal can do!  Right?

Around the Network
gamelover2000 said:
I was banned for a day, VGchartz has some strict rules but I guess the week ban was not needed as my "huge insult" was (partly) justified

You were only banned a day because bans get progessively longer.

Now that that's settled, both of you just drop it please.  I'm sure you both can ignore each other in peace and be happy.

I'm not sure if this will affect Natal's success, but I noticed that so far, most of the people that are highly enthusiastic seem to be tech lovers and some hardcore gamers.

It would be dreadful if this is truly the case.

gamelover2000 said:
@ ironman, your bias is pretty obvious but its your loss really.. I am not a fanboy and I favour Playstation platforms, but I would NEVER post something biased, apparently posting things like these makes you hated amongst some 360 fans.. its sad really..

hey, look at some of my posts... especially the ones where I have defended the PS3, the Wii, the PSP, and the ones where I have put down the 360... Then check out some posts where i put down 360 games, and defended PS3 games...Oh hey, how about the ones in this thread where I said anything much over $100.00 would probably mean NATAL not selling well. I DARE you to say I'm biased again and not get laughed at. I really don't care WHY you posted what you did, I just care that you made it out to be something it wasn't ("Natal will not be cheap" when the article said it MAY be priced high) that is flamebait. Then when called out on that, you call a person an idiot? Seriously, what is wrong with you? 

Anyway, we will just have to see what the price WILL be. Anything else is purely speculation at this point. and Yes Av. so far the people i see excited about Natal on this forum have been in the demographics you mentioned, but in the real world (in my limited experience) my wife (who is neither gamer, or tech savvy) is excited about this, as are a few on my inlaws...who are in the same boat as my wife. so you could be wrong.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

mike_intellivision said:
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/microsoft-to-bundle-project-natal-with-every-xbox/

Here is another view on Project Natal pricing.
Basically, this article speculates that Microsoft will bundle it with every unit -- without changing the base price of the Xbox 360 (much).
If that is the case, it cannot charge too too much to those who already have the console.

Mike from Morgantown
(article appears below)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft to Bundle Project Natal with Every Xbox?

Posted October 9, 2009 by James Brightman

Next year's launch of Project Natal should be a major event for Microsoft and the game industry. The details surrounding the launch still remain shrouded in mystery, however. How will Microsoft price it? Will it come bundled with any Xbox 360 SKUs? According to Epic Games VP Mark Rein, who recently spoke with OXM, Microsoft will indeed pack in the motion sensing camera with all new 360s.

"I think they said they were going to ship Natal with every Xbox when they actually launch the thing, so everybody will have one," he said. "And then they are going to sell it to everybody who doesn't have one. Or try."

We've pinged Microsoft for comment, but haven't heard back yet. [Update: A spokesperson told us, "Microsoft has not made any announcements about Project Natal’s availability, only that we’re excited that Project Natal will work with every Xbox 360 sold today and tomorrow."]

That said, the company has repeatedly compared Project Natal to the launch of a new console, and more recently Microsoft Game Studios' corporate vice president Phil Spencer said that just like multiplayer, motion is going to become a standard feature for most titles. If Microsoft wants Project Natal to have a large enough installed base, then bundling the camera with new 360 SKUs certainly would make sense.

EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told IndustryGamers, "Long-term, the Natal will be a peripheral shipped with every Xbox 360 unit. At launch, however, Natal will be an optional purchase. It is not as easy as one thinks to simply replace all current hardware SKUs on retail shelves with ones that include the Natal. I believe it is Microsoft's strategy to maintain a $249-$299 price point throughout the remainder of the hardware cycle. Microsoft will achieve this by introducing new features to its hardware to increase the Xbox 360's value and offsetting the depreciation home consoles realize as time moves forward."

Elsewhere in the Rein interview, the Epic VP expressed his excitement about Natal (Unreal powered many of the Natal demos at E3) and he intends to support the platform fully. "I have no idea what we're going to do from a game standpoint, but from an engine standpoint, it's definitely cool stuff and we will support it. I think any future Xbox games we make will have some Natal support. We always want to have something that exploits the unique capabilities of a platform," he said, adding, "I think everyone will do something that exploits Natal once it's out there and everyone has it. So will people be able to benefit from it? Yes. And then if they want to make that 'oh my god' really cool Natal experience, well, we got the engine for that. I'm pretty psyched about it."

So does this mean that Gears of War 3 could support Natal? Possibly. Rein commented, "Yeah, I can totally see myself sitting in front of my TV using Natal to play games like Gears of War, Call of Duty, or whatever first-person shooter with my buddies. I want to do a hand signal that tells my friend, 'Go over there.' Instead of even saying it on Live, I just want to motion, 'Go over there.' Or if I want to throw a grenade, I just lift my right hand off the controller, throw the grenade, then put my hand back on the controller.

"I don't think we're going to change the hardcore experience that so many people love so well. Look at Gears of War, we sold over 11 million games - people clearly like that kind of experience. Call of Duty sells millions every time it ships. People clearly enjoy that experience. You wouldn't change Halo, but you could, if you had Natal, at least to simplify some of the controls."

Interestingly, back in July, Epic's Cliff Bleszinski said that Natal wouldn't be a good fit for Gears, so we're curious to see what happens. Judging by Rein's remarks, we think Gears 3 will at least support Natal with some optional hand motions, but won't force core gamers to use it.

But if MS bundled Natal for free, that would be the equivalent of an $80 price cut.  I dont think that they can drop another price bomb like that.  But I will say this, MS is going to have to do somehting like a free bundle for Natal to be successful,  because the price thing is a disadvantage, another is that by late 2010, the 360 will be in its middle age or later part of its middle age...so the games would have a limited market oh wait unless people wanted to plonk down $100 for peripheral. 

Natal  is also not as precise as the wii as far as lagging....I just think that MS's money would have been better spent elsewhere as this is an example of MS over-reaching.

"Gamelover"
Your other threads were
"Why i think natal will fail"
and
"Console + PC games are NOT exclusive"
Well if you're a single console owner (ps3)
Why do u care about these subjects?