By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Natal may cost you

heruamon said:
$70...lol...a regular controller is $50...sorry, but If M$ follows the WiiFit board pricing model, good things will happen...how many did Nintendo sell again?

That's kind of like arguing that if Nintendo released a crime based sandbox game and sold it for $60 it would sell amazing because Grand Theft Auto sold so well ...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
heruamon said:
$70...lol...a regular controller is $50...sorry, but If M$ follows the WiiFit board pricing model, good things will happen...how many did Nintendo sell again?

That's kind of like arguing that if Nintendo released a crime based sandbox game and sold it for $60 it would sell amazing because Grand Theft Auto sold so well ...

No, it due to the fact that Xbox owners aren't shy about spending $$$...It's about what level of value is being offered.  If Natal ships with a great game as Wii did with Wii Sport, I think $119 and below would deliver very healthy returns to begin with...and it's going to be during the holiday season, and after M$'s hype machine has been spinning for a while...so yeah...I do think it can emulate WiiFit sales, and no, I don't think the GTA comparison is accurate.  M$ has gotten some serious buy-in from the game development community!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
HappySqurriel said:
heruamon said:

No, it due to the fact that Xbox owners aren't shy about spending $$$...It's about what level of value is being offered.  If Natal ships with a great game as Wii did with Wii Sport, I think $119 and below would deliver very healthy returns to begin with...and it's going to be during the holiday season, and after M$'s hype machine has been spinning for a while...so yeah...I do think it can emulate WiiFit sales, and no, I don't think the GTA comparison is accurate.  M$ has gotten some serious buy-in from the game development community!

The "Value" of Wii Fit didn't make it the best selling game in over a decade, Wii Fit sold so well because the software was very high quality and had unprecedented appeal with an untapped demographic of gamers.

Just matching the "Value" of Wii Fit is just like matching the "Value" of Grand Theft Auto ... Unless Microsoft can produce something truly unique and special it is very unlikely that Natal can match the success of Wii Fit.

HappySqurriel said:
heruamon said:
HappySqurriel said:
heruamon said:

The "Value" of Wii Fit didn't make it the best selling game in over a decade, Wii Fit sold so well because the software was very high quality and had unprecedented appeal with an untapped demographic of gamers.

Just matching the "Value" of Wii Fit is just like matching the "Value" of Grand Theft Auto ... Unless Microsoft can produce something truly unique and special it is very unlikely that Natal can match the success of Wii Fit.

Dunno...but I think were are in agreement here...My point is that regardless of how great Natal is...I'm not sure I'm willing to pay mroe than $119...and looking out in the marketplace for the closest example of a peripheral piece of hardware, WiiFit is the closest I could find.  M$ has done an unprecedented job of really engaging with 3rd party developers to push Natal, which will help ensure a greater level of support.  Until we actually see launch software, all of these points are tenuous, but I'm just saying that imho, anything more than $119 is pushing it.  If they have to "eat" some losses early do so, but make sure you get maximum burn on launch during the holiday season...it will immediately boost developers to look for more creative ways to push Natal....just my 2 cents.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

I was really hoping I would get natal for free ....

Around the Network
Seece said:

LOL...that and XBL!

heruamon said:
Seece said:

LOL...that and XBL!

Totally! Do you think natal games will cost us anything?

Pricing is key, which will be yet another benefit for SONY's Motion Controller.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Seece said:
heruamon said:
Seece said:

LOL...that and XBL!

Totally! Do you think natal games will cost us anything?

Absolutely not...lol...gamers shouldn't have to pay for anything bro...that's the cost model some think is wise!  On a serious note, I think there will be an opportunity for publisher to launch more title in the $39.99 range with Natal.

coolbeans said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
Pricing is key, which will be yet another benefit for SONY's Motion Controller.

Have they announced their price yet?

Only to a select few fans...the really hardcore ones!