By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon's Souls is better then Oblivion

S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Steroid said:
You'll see when you play for yourself. I actually love Mass Effect but it's too short.

Mass Effect is fourty hours long  if you do all side quests along with the main mission. The next one will be longer.

Stuff like this is what bothers me about WRPGs. You beat Mass Effect in less than 10 hours. Less than 7 if you rush. The things are the side are just gravy.

I'm at 62 hours in Persona 3 and I still have at least 15 more hours of stuff to do.

Edited for clarity.

Mass Effect doesn't fully make sense to you unless you finish the first ten hours of side missions in the beginning of the game and then return to the main quest. The number of missions that are leaked to you will help you understand what kind of person you are and what side you're aligning with. They help strengthen and help you understand other sides of the equation. It's almost like you're in the middle of a galactic tug of war.

The other ten hours are up to you. I feel sorry for people who skipped necessary parts.

That's contradicting. If you can beat the game without it, it's not necessary. I did around ~50 side quests and I beat the game in 12 hours.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Domicinator said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Fame_Mcswagg said:
first I like to comment on the guy talking about dragon age. Already praising the game before he even played it saying it's guaranteed to be better? that seems a bit strange seeing as you haven't played it. The only review I read said that the story branches out for the classes for the first couple of hours than it comes together. No where have I read that their is 120 hours of gameplay I read like 40 to 70. Which is still alot IMO but still not what you said. Now to demon's souls. and oblivion. I love Oblivion and demon's souls both. I can't tell you which one is better But the feeling I got for playing demon's souls I never had in another game. I got connected with my character and really concentrated on every aspect of the game. It's a lot of fun but it's a different experience than Oblivion. No need to compare they are both great... leave it at that

Dragon Age Origins will have over 120 hours of gameplay.

Source:http://www.mygaming.co.za/news/News/4335-Dragon-Age-will-feature-120-hours-gameplay.html

Ok, man.  We get it.  You're a huge fan of Dragon Age Origins.  But that game isn't even out yet.  When it is, everyone will be declaring it the best RPG ever made, don't worry.

I was showing fame proof that Dragon Age's playthrough time depends on how you play it.

outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Steroid said:
You'll see when you play for yourself. I actually love Mass Effect but it's too short.

Mass Effect is fourty hours long  if you do all side quests along with the main mission. The next one will be longer.

Stuff like this is what bothers me about WRPGs. You beat Mass Effect in less than 10 hours. Less than 7 if you rush. The things are the side are just gravy.

I'm at 62 hours in Persona 3 and I still have at least 15 more hours of stuff to do.

Edited for clarity.

Mass Effect doesn't fully make sense to you unless you finish the first ten hours of side missions in the beginning of the game and then return to the main quest. The number of missions that are leaked to you will help you understand what kind of person you are and what side you're aligning with. They help strengthen and help you understand other sides of the equation. It's almost like you're in the middle of a galactic tug of war.

The other ten hours are up to you. I feel sorry for people who skipped necessary parts.

That's contradicting. If you can beat the game without it, it's not necessary. I did around ~50 side quests and I beat the game in 12 hours.

Then I guess you're just an above average player. The game is much longer than you claim.

makingmusic476 said:
Considering I gave up on Oblivion three hours in, I agree.

I haven't played Demon Soul yet but I strongly disagree with the OP.

I actually did the same when I first started playing, then I gave it another shot. I have played over 100 hours of Oblivion ever since I decided to give it another shot. I think you should too.

outlawauron said:

I think you mistook that "4" for a "1," because that's an insanely short time.

Unless you mean you spent 12 hours doing unique sidequests, in which case you're missing a decimal.

For the record, I liked Mass Effect, but the cookie-cutter sidequests were definitely the game's Achilles' Heel.

Around the Network

i love hard games

Haven't played Oblivion (rented, got bored, returned) so can't say how it compares to DS.

However: DS >>>> Fallout3

DS vs Mass Effect : Both are great RPGs, however I have to give DS the edge coz of its multi-player which essentially means endless replay value.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:

I think you mistook that "4" for a "1," because that's an insanely short time.

Unless you mean you spent 12 hours doing unique sidequests, in which case you're missing a decimal.

For the record, I liked Mass Effect, but the cookie-cutter sidequests were definitely the game's Achilles' Heel.

I dunno. I don't think I'm really that good at video games. I did only die once in the game though.

I would have done more quests, but I found them very slow and stopped after doing a quest on the Moon.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

CGI-Quality said:
Although I disagree with the OP, as Oblivion is my favorite RPG of ALL time, I still think Demon's Souls is one of the best RPGs to come along in a while. Truth be told though, the games are a tad too different from each other for a comparison, IMO, but to each his own.

No not even close imo.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB