By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP-Go (30,000 First Week Sales) A Flop ?

PSPgo reminds of that POS GBA Micro in so many ways. Pricey more of a downgrade compared to the cheaper better handhelds (PSP,GBASP) and low sales.

Around the Network

OP should edit to add that the 30k figure is for the USA only. Likely the first week sales will be 35k for Americas, and similar for Others. We'll see in a week whereabouts it'll reach in Japan. But if it manages 30k there, that will be 100k from its first 'week'

Considering that each PSP:Go is sold at a (healthy) profit, and there is no known way to get games on it without paying for them, and this is good news and lots of $ in the bank for Sony

The PSP Go was deemed a flop months ago. It doesn't matter how much it sold, it would still be spun badly.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nope. Not a flop. People need to go back and look at pre-launch statements - 'premium priced new model for early adopters' being the key one.

The Go! was priced to start fairly muted to only those willing to pay it's hefty price tag to get a digital distribution based PSP vs a regular PSP.

Still, watch for lots of people comparing it to the Slim launch, completely incorrectly but just because it seems so tempting to do so.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Not a flop at all. If Sony make $100 off of each Go sold they just made $3 million in a week in Americas alone. Even if they make half of that off of the Go, they took in $1.5 mill. Not bad at all. I don't see much legs, but that isn't what this was intended for. It was mainly just to test the waters of DD and make Sony a quick buck.

When you have lost $3 billion on the PS3, 3 million is merely a drop in the bucket.

Of course 3 million is a lot to you and me, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much. Wii Fit probably made more money this week than PSP Go.

Uhm? So what? Cash is cash? I'd like to see a company turn down three million dollars, just because it's a drop in a bucket. Every little bit counts.

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
Nope. Not a flop. People need to go back and look at pre-launch statements - 'premium priced new model for early adopters' being the key one.

The Go! was priced to start fairly muted to only those willing to pay it's hefty price tag to get a digital distribution based PSP vs a regular PSP.

Still, watch for lots of people comparing it to the Slim launch, completely incorrectly but just because it seems so tempting to do so.

I agree and I'd add another few things: every single PSP Go that is sold instead of a PSP 3000 brings

- higher revenue from software licenses and first party games in the long run, because of the nonexistent second hand market

- more credit with third parties about the viability of the digital distribution model and its implementation by Sony

I think those are actually more important than the revenue coming from selling the hardware itself at a premium. They also make much more sense on an optionally premium model than for a total replacement of the PSP line.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
Reasonable said:

I agree and I'd add another few things: every single PSP Go that is sold instead of a PSP 3000 brings

- higher revenue from software licenses and first party games in the long run, because of the nonexistent second hand market

- more credit with third parties about the viability of the digital distribution model and its implementation by Sony

I think those are actually more important than the revenue coming from selling the hardware itself at a premium. They also make much more sense on an optionally premium model than for a total replacement of the PSP line.

Yeah, I agree.  Good points.  I'm sure Sony will be watching the actual SW sales with more interest than the HW, and probably looking at how many digital purchases were made by people with regular PSP vs a Go!

I'm curious to see how opinion starts to settle once a feel for the Go! settles down.

I see a lot of people saying they want digitial distrbution, then see those same people go on about how much they like second hand titles, using Ebay, etc.

With the Go! we get a taste of the implications of a full digitial model, where a purchase is recorded and there is no option to re-sell, get second hand, etc. apart from piracy.

Mind you, if I was Sony, I'd explore if there was some way to allow people to 'pass on' or transfer games to friends, taking a small cut for the privilage.  So say I buy GoW on PSP, play it, then transfer it to you.  Sony cancels my 'ownership' of the title, gives you ownership, and takes a small fee, nominally for the re-sale of the title to you.  In reality, they'd be making money for nothing.  Sure, they lose your full price purchase, in reality, they'd more likely end up generating more addition second hand purchases or pass-on's than they'd lose.

Not sure about legal implications, as with digitial there is no 'second hand' copy - you'd be accessing the same GoW files on PSN as a full price purchaser, but I'm sure they could do it via transfer of ownership.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

It sold very well considering rip-off price (that's nintendo/apple class rip-off for sure) and how crappy DD is at the current moment.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

papflesje said:
ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Not a flop at all. If Sony make $100 off of each Go sold they just made $3 million in a week in Americas alone. Even if they make half of that off of the Go, they took in $1.5 mill. Not bad at all. I don't see much legs, but that isn't what this was intended for. It was mainly just to test the waters of DD and make Sony a quick buck.

When you have lost $3 billion on the PS3, 3 million is merely a drop in the bucket.

Of course 3 million is a lot to you and me, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much. Wii Fit probably made more money this week than PSP Go.

Uhm? So what? Cash is cash? I'd like to see a company turn down three million dollars, just because it's a drop in a bucket. Every little bit counts.

Pfft, don't you know that anything that makes less profit than Wii Fit is a flop, which pretty much means every game and console this generation actually :P

in my area it didnt sell any unit because its expensive for most of us also its priced at 1000 dhs ( $ 272 )