By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 2009: PS2's last Xmas?

PS2 is an industry standard. It'll be around for long time. I think that's what Nintendo will achieve with the Wii as well.

Around the Network

^^
I agree, IMVHO Nintendo's minimum goal for Wii is to enter in the club of 100+million sellers, possibly beating at least PSOne too.
Obviously Sony will do its best to make beating PS2 as hard as possible, but Wii has good chances anyway, provided it has at least a 7 years plan. The only risk for both Sony and Nintendo is that PS2 and Wii seriously risk dwarfing successive generations for a while, just like XP is doing with successive versions of Windows.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

This is the End,beautiful friend.
This is the End,my only friend, The End.

Take my love, take my land..

PS2?

Last quarter if i remember correctly it outshipped PS3, 360 and PSP.

It's not going anywhere just yet.

I think it'll be discontinued 2012-2013.

Around the Network

NicholasCage says;

"PSOne = 1994-2006. I bet PS2 will last longer than PSOne."

Agreed. And, as the PS3 is a very late starter, I see it going even longer than the PS2. Also, it has longer lasting tech. And to think, all the "10 yr plan" talk for the PS3 gets constantly put down.

P.S
I loved your earlier fims, NicholasCage.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

I'm going to say it won't be discontinued until 2012.

It still sells FAR too well for them to discontinue it any time soon.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
i think sony needs to put the ps2 to rest, because it hardly has any games coming out for it and no more blockbusters either. i think sony should drop the ps2 to $99 around black friday and sell its remaining stock and focus on just the ps3/psp/psp-go systems. :)

It's been $99 since April...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

^^ U are spot on.

I don't think they should discontinue it anytime soon, as it is a testement to what SONY can do in the industry and a goal for all futures to come. Although, I would rather they put 100% into the PS3. I think the PS2 is just on auto run these days anyway.

Since the launch of the Slim & Go SONY IMHO will now focus heavily on SW for PS3 and PSP's regardless. Them having PS2 won't really change that.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

I can see Sony discontinuing the PS2 by middle-late 2011.

It'll still live by the end of 2010.