By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 2009: PS2's last Xmas?

The PS2 hasn't hit $49 yet

Around the Network

hi guys, why would sony want to stop making the ps2 that would be extremly stupid, since it is selling resonabily well and its makes a huge proift for sony, this help sonh heaps as the ps3 wasent making any profit until know. sony should markt the ps2 in second and third world countrys, that would boost sales like crazy, the middle east would be a major boose there, as there are many wealthy people there, and same as india, and south africa, but for the question, NO SONY shouldent and wont stop making the ps2 for a long time to come

Aion said:
No it deserves to live.

It's great to see the PS2 still in stores. Comes in handy if you need a replacement. Playstations don't have the most reliable optical drives. They crap out pretty easily. My PS1's laser has been completely gone since like 2002/2003 (thank goodness for emulation). PS2's DVD drive craps out easily. PS3's Blu-Ray drive craps out easily. So it's good to know that if my PS2 slim craps out I can always just buy a cheap replacement.

no, not until (japanese) developers are fully ready to make games for HD consoles
particularly in Japan, sony needs PS2 to prevent gamers switching to Wii
japanese developers are more likely to develop multiplat games for Wii and PS2

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

Well it's still doing really well for a 9 year old console and it's makes Sony profit on each one sold.

It'll be around for a while longer.

We can say there's also an image side of the thing, made of at least three things, the first, as Xxain wrote, making more difficult to Wii to take the crown, the second, telling customers and competitors that Sony can make a platform last so long, the third, telling developers the same thing, that hasn't only the direct effect on developers, but also an indirect effect on PS3, reassuring on Sony's intention to hold its ground.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Will be retired once it completes its 10 year cycle. So not too far off if I am not mistaken.

There are over 20 games schedual to be released in 2010 for the PS2 so far

It'll be around for a lot longer

Garnett said: "Well there wont be a next gen until Sony drops it,Thats a fact."

WRONG. I still see NES's available. Does that mean we're still in the Duck Hunt generation? I THINK NOT.