By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GOW (and maybe ICO) collection.....why rebuy?

just for ICO alone. never played it. only have Shadow of The Colossus.

Around the Network

if they do redo shadow. Please do something with that damn camera

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

CDiablo said:

Im not talking about trophy support/GOW3 demo. What I am wondering is what is the benifit of these PS on BRD over the PS2 originals. Is the GOW collection going to just be the game upscaled to 720 or are the textures going to be redrawn in HD 720. God of war 1 ran in 480 and 2 ran in 720(not too sure about this) so Im trying to fugure out whats the benifit over the PS2 versions upscaled to 1080 on a PS3. Im confused if this is a cheap cash in or an actual remake.

I don't think you quite understand how textures work.

They may redraw the textures used for the menus and GUI, but those are the only textures that would be directly impacted by a change in screen  resolution.

Torillian said:
I would rebuy a Team Ico collection because both of those games are amazing and didn't get nearly enough sales.

There is very little reason to rebuy, I see these more as a way for people that didn't get a chance to play them on the PS2 to catch up before the next installment of the series.

I don't know.  If they could get Shadow of the Colossus running at 60fps, it would be totally worth the rebuy.  The first one ran at sub-20fps at times, and this had a direct impact on both image quality and character control.

I played Ico and SoTC to completion, but never owned legitimate copies of either. This would be the perfect opportunity to own both without the hassles of buying used games.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

For people who didn't play it before, for trophies, for collectors, for people who want to play again before GOW3 comes out.

I haven't played ICO, SOTC, or GoW2. Only gow1. So I would buy both collections in a heart beat.

4 ≈ One

CDiablo said:
Kantor said:

The game could have looked like THAT in HD. The resolution was holding it back.

Does it look any better than on a BC ps2. I just bought a new SOTC for $20 and a used ICO for $35 which is kind of why I made this thread.

Well, keep in mind that the image he showed is only 580x800, and not full 720p.

I've taken his image and downscaled it to normal 480p (well, 480x664):

Now here is the 480 image re-upscaled to 580x800 via GIMP:

Here is the original image for comparison:

Notice the upscaled image looks somewhat softer.  This softness only increases the more you try to upscale an image.

Here is the 480 image upscaled to 720x997 (equivalent to 720p in height):

It looks incredibly soft, while a native 720p image would have the clarity of the 480p picture or the Kantor's original picture - clarity that is only hindered by the pixels themselves.

Here's a better example.  The first picture is a native 720p screen of Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time.  The screen below it is the same image downscaled to 480p then re-upscaled to 720p.

Also keep in mind that I've used rather high end photo editing software to scale these images.  Most scalers use in CE devices won't do as good a job.

Honestly, I found SotC to look really bad on the PS3 with an HDTV.

If the re-release it in native 720 on the PS3 I would buy it in a heartbeat. I also have not played ICO yet, so it would be perfect.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I think the only reason their making a GoW collection is to attract new buyers / gamers to the series.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E