By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 to sell over 15 Million LTD or only over 10?

Hus said:

LMFAO i'am so saving this thread to gloat and stick it to many of you later.  remember Br vs hddvd lol.

Its like basic logic is to much to ask for from many of you.

The most basic facts like.

First GT of a gen always do best, especially in Japan.
Prologue did 4.1 million, a demo out did its best competitor. Franchise is as strong as ever.
How other racing games do means nothing to GT. GT is one of its kind, Other genres have top games racing has only tone king.
GT is the biggest exclusive this gen.
Most complete GT ever.
and many other.

Now I think YOU should listen some basic facts :

The best selling GT (GT3) didnt even reach 15 million LTD on a 135M userbase when the franchise was far more popular.

GT5:P is at 3.22M, was HEAVILY bundled in some region and didnt have a lot of competition when it was released. GT PSP flopped hard.

For the first time of its history GT have a huge competitor in the name of Forza 3 which should take some of its sales LTD.

LMAO at GT as biggest exclusive this gen... Do you ever heard of games like Wii Sports? Wii Fit? Mario Kart Wii? Wii Sports Resort? New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Halo 3?

As for Japan, if a game like MH3 which is one of the most popular franchise in Japan right now struggle to sell over a million, there is no way a game like GT5 could ever reach 2 million of sales there.

Those are basic facts...

Around the Network

14M - 15M very easily.

PLAYSTATION®3

1) A gaming market is expanding. FiFa 10 became best selling sport game.
2) GT5P is 4.17M with PSN downloads.
3) I very doubt, that GT5 won`t be bundled like any other big Sony PS3 game.
4) We will speak after GT5 release. If 4M for a demo/prologue is not big for you.
5) MH3 was released on Wii, previous games were released on PS2. Not all PS2 owners bought Wii. Simple.
Also, GT portable market =/= GT home console market. Otherwise, it`s like saying, IF MH3 didn`t sell 1M in Japan, then MH3G on PSP won`t sell 3M in Japan.

Those are basic facts.

atma998 said:
Hus said:

LMFAO i'am so saving this thread to gloat and stick it to many of you later.  remember Br vs hddvd lol.

Prologue did 4.1 million, a demo out did its best competitor. Franchise is as strong as ever.
How other racing games do means nothing to GT. GT is one of its kind, Other genres have top games racing has only tone king.
Most complete GT ever.
and many other.

The best selling GT (GT3) didnt even reach 15 million LTD on a 135M userbase when the franchise was far more popular.

GT5:P is at 3.22M, was HEAVILY bundled in some region and didnt have a lot of competition when it was released. GT PSP flopped hard.

For the first time of its history GT have a huge competitor in the name of Forza 3 which should take some of its sales LTD.

LMAO at GT as biggest exclusive this gen... Do you ever heard of games like Wii Sports? Wii Fit? Mario Kart Wii? Wii Sports Resort? New Super Mario Bros. Wii? Halo 3?

As for Japan, if a game like MH3 which is one of the most popular franchise in Japan right now struggle to sell over a million, there is no way a game like GT5 could ever reach 2 million of sales there.

Those are basic facts...

14.89 is close enough to 15 million.

The ps2 didn't have 135 million when gt3 launch. in fact, itll have less than the ps3 did

GT5P is at 4.17

For the fist time? It wont even sell as much as the second which didnt sell as much as the prologue. Sequels on the same platform tend to sell less. FF, MGS, GT, ect ect.

I think you should look at your facts some more.

I'd say max 10 millions if it's bundled because back then with GT1 to GT3, racing games were at its prime. Now, the racing genre is saturated and people (especially in America) don't really play racing games anymore.

Around the Network
ZorroX said:
@Ail, PS3 won`t stop selling at 27M. By the end of 2012 it will probably reach atleast 75M.
And 15M is only 20% of attach rate.
And GT5 is biggest PlayStation franchise.

+Now GT5 will be first full GT game with Online mode, which i think will also be huge selling point compared to previous games.
Not just amazing graphics, but also online mode.

@samus aran rules, PS3 sold only around 4M in Japan, that isn`t a big userbase,
but i expect it to reach atleast 8M by the end of 2012.

True the user base will increase.

But even a game with crazy legs will still realize 80%+ of its sales in its first year and GT5 will not sell 13 millions units the first year...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Hus said:

Most complete GT ever.
and many other.

GT5 Prologue would actually be the first GT this gen.  Which is probably (in part) why it's numbers are so inflated.

The best selling racer this gen (and actually ever) is Mario Kart Wii.  That won't be changing.

With the updated numbers from Polyphony's site, I'd say 9 million is possible.

15 million is not, however.

atma998 said:

Those are basic facts...

Good to see the same old ignorance on vg.

GT3 sold on a 120 130 140 million user base LMFAO by the time PS2 stops selling, you sad fanboys will say GT3 only sold 14.8 million on a +200 million user base HA.

GT3s succesor came out when PS2 was around 60 million, can you understand that you sad fanboy.  GT3 NEVER sold to a 135m user base just WHAT THE HELL is so hard to understand about this.   Is such simple math to much for kids these days. 

Forza2 came out before GT5p why was it not competition yet F3 will be to GT5 ? ehh hypocrite. 

MH3 was on the wrong console. WII ish stuff sales on the wii not real games.   MH does bet on PSP hell it even did pathetic sales on the PS2 with its huge user abse.   And correction MH3 struggled to sale 1 million... ON THE WII!!!  MHfu sold 3.5 million on the psp. 

Your "facts" are fanboy twists and foolish opinions.  Thus they are not facts. 

jarrod said:

GT5 Prologue would actually be the first GT this gen.  Which is probably (in part) why it's numbers are so inflated.

The best selling racer this gen (and actually ever) is Mario Kart Wii.  That won't be changing.

GT4p did 1.5m with no NA release and very little support.  So GT5p is hardly inflated, its just happens that a $40 demo from PD is better then most full games.

Mk wii is no racer, if it is then Twisted Metal could be a racer.