By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I'm playing Vagrant Story.

d21lewis said:

I played it, and beat it, but damn! Dude you are in the midst of one of the toughest games EVER. The risk/reward system that they have in place (it's been over a decade, so I blocked out most of the details in my memory) will kick your ass. One hit kills abound!

*EDIT* I just read everyone else's post, and we're all saying the same thing!!  LOL!

I try to keep my Risk low, but I love to combo, which makes my Risk high!

This is problematic.

Around the Network

Oh snap! The Risk feature! How did that work again???

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I really need to play this game sometime.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

The more combos you did the higher your risk, the higher your risk, the less impact you made when attacking and less likely you were to defend against attacks I think.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Son1x said:
Simulacrum said:
I actually still have it.
I remember playing it to some point as a kid, and then couldn't won some boss fight.Actually its great game,
Then when FF XII came I felt like this battlesystem is copied from somewhere and boom.

I wouldn't say copied. More like inspired. Just like how Vagrant Story kinda takes the battle system from Parasite Eve.

I've been meaning to try it but never got to it.

Well FF XII maker is same maker as in Vagrant Story..

But Parasite eve?Rly?Hmm.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:
Son1x said:
Simulacrum said:
I actually still have it.
I remember playing it to some point as a kid, and then couldn't won some boss fight.Actually its great game,
Then when FF XII came I felt like this battlesystem is copied from somewhere and boom.

I wouldn't say copied. More like inspired. Just like how Vagrant Story kinda takes the battle system from Parasite Eve.

I've been meaning to try it but never got to it.

Well FF XII maker is same maker as in Vagrant Story..

But Parasite eve?Rly?Hmm.

Of course, I'm talking about Parasite Eve 1. Second one plays like Resident Evil or something.

When I played Vagrant Story after PE I've noticed the similarities. Press the action button, pauses the game, makes a ring around, choose an action. I haven't really played much of Vagrant Story though so who am I to say.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Fallout 3's V.A.T.S reminds me alot of Vagrant Story's battle system.

sounds insanely difficult, I don't like difficult games

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Onyxmeth said:

You're probably not going to get any decent answers here. The game is fairly unknown or hasn't been played by most here, and it's been almost 10 years since release. Your best bet is to go to gamefaqs.com and ask on the dedicated board for the game or look at an FAQ for it on there. I'm sure you'll find your answer.

I support the gamefaqs.com response.  You should go there for all your gaming question needs.

@Khuutra,

hi man,

so need advice for Vagrant Story ?

I will try to help you based on my memory (even if I replayed the half of the game not so far away). Too bad I didn't see ur thread earlier.

yes, the start is hard because ur weapon are not specialized. they will become more and more specialized progressively during your different fight agaisnt the differents species (phantom/dragon/undead/human/beast/???).

It means you have to always use one weapon agaisnt one specie X to allow it to become
a X killer weapon.

The blunt/pierce/edge damage matter but I doubt that u can have one weapon type for each species ...

the element light/evil/fire/water/air/earth matters also but u can dramatically modulate them using the "gems" that can be placed on ur weapon meaning that u can easly have a anti-fire weapon that will insanely dammage fire based foe.

At the end, you also have to learn to make counter and combo but you also have to keep your risk low (the potion to decrease ur risk is actually quite rare).

Indeed, there is one thing that I would like to mention about the game but I prefer to wait until u finish it by yourself ...

I wish you great gaming ... after all :

MGS cutscene + good story + good charatcer developpement + (very) good puzzle + RPG element + best PSX gfx
= Top10 PSX game ...

first scene in the game :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDThRX_SKs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chO8hTZylA8&feature=related

no need to say more ...

Time to Work !