By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I'm playing Vagrant Story.

they need to come out with this game on the PS store. i miss having this game.

This hand of mine is burning red. It's loud cry is telling me to grasp victory.....SEKIHA TENKYOKEN!!!

Around the Network

@ Euphoria
How dare you say I suck! I was new to the genre and was only 15 years old :(
I agree with WoW that I have never grinded so much in a game before, but it was still fun and I stll recomend the game.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Vagrant story...loved the originality of this game...and the difficulty too.

It's the hardest game I had played since God Hand.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

I know some points in the game were pretty hard, like the optional dungeons, but nothing a bit of farming, crafting and leveling up couldn't fix.

Maybe there are people who don't like doing the same things over and over for hours at a time so they can progress.

Have you even played Vagrant Story? O_o

When I said that it meant nothing close to what you just said right there. Nothing requires hours of grinding. Crafting new weapons/armor is a normal part of the game. If someone stops for a moment when they enter a craft shop they can just do a couple of mixes and come out much stronger equipped then they were a few minutes before.

Isn't it obvious?  Of course I haven't playe Vagrant Story.  Otherwise I'd actually be able to help Khuutra out with useful advice.

I just hate responses to RPG questions when they're basically "Level up more" or "Do more XYZ" because that smells of grinding to me and I hate grinding.  Your post reeked of it and the stuff above talking about requiring the player to build weapon affinities does as well.  I mean, basically Khuutra needs to go build a Phantom/Dragon or Dragon/Evil affinity weapon and to do so he has to go around killing those type enemies with it over and over.  Exciting stuff.

Well I am very sorry that a comment of mine followed with a smiley emoticon made you so upset. 

I also wasn't talking about weapon affinities. To be honest I have finished Vagrant Story many times and not once have I ever wasted time worrying about affinities. Just carry a blunt, sharp, piercing, etc... weapon with you. Blunt weapons will hit a dragon for crap, attacking it with a piercing weapon on it's tail or neck however will cause considerable damage. You bring different types so that if one fails, just switch to a different type. 

When I say crafting I am talking about just messing around and going "Oh wow, Rapier + Katana just gave me something even stronger!" or mixing random armors and getting something better. He could go on Gamefaqs and read up on the crafting guides, but many times you can just do random mixing or mix two of the same item and get something better.

The game doesn't require too much from the player. You could honestly just go through the game with just the drops you find from bosses/enemies and stuff found in chests.

@hatmoza

I don't really think you suck, note the smiley emoticon.

If you want grinding, try Disgaea. 

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I have made a program that ignores emoticons so I see everyone for the robot they are.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

Also, if you have a polearm, just use that because they are much better against dragons than an axe or sword. Also try running up to the dragon right at the start of battle and getting right below his head. Their strongest attacks are their breath attacks and hiding underneath not only can enable you to completely evade them but it also gives you easy attacks on the dragon's neck.

Degenerate, Invigorate and Herakles also can help out when you are in a tough spot.  

You will also learn that different parts of enemies bodies have different weaknesses. Make sure to carry different weapon types.

Also, if you really feel the need to grind for affinities, do not think that you really need to enter, fight enemy, exit, enter, fight enemy, exit, etc...

There are training dummies located around the city. Just chaining on those dummies will raise your affinities without the need to dungeon crawl and constantly enter/exit the same areas to respawn enemies.

Locations are here if interested.

Wine Cellar, "Blackmarket": Human dummyWine Cellar, "Worker's Restroom": Human dummyAbandoned Mines B1, "The Dark Tunnel": Beast dummyCatacombs, "Hall of Sworn Revenge": Undead dummyCity Walls North, "From Boy to Hero": Phantom dummyCity Walls South, "The Boy's Training Room": Dragon dummyTown Center East, "Gharmes Walk": Evil dummy
I understand that all of these may not be available right from the start, but later on it is useful info to have just in case affinities are your worry.
You will also find gems that you can insert into your weapon's hilt that grants you affinities, so affinity grinding isn't as bad as it seems.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Euphoria14 said:

I know some points in the game were pretty hard, like the optional dungeons, but nothing a bit of farming, crafting and leveling up couldn't fix.

Maybe there are people who don't like doing the same things over and over for hours at a time so they can progress.

Have you even played Vagrant Story? O_o

When I said that it meant nothing close to what you just said right there. Nothing requires hours of grinding. Crafting new weapons/armor is a normal part of the game. If someone stops for a moment when they enter a craft shop they can just do a couple of mixes and come out much stronger equipped then they were a few minutes before.

Isn't it obvious?  Of course I haven't playe Vagrant Story.  Otherwise I'd actually be able to help Khuutra out with useful advice.

I just hate responses to RPG questions when they're basically "Level up more" or "Do more XYZ" because that smells of grinding to me and I hate grinding.  Your post reeked of it and the stuff above talking about requiring the player to build weapon affinities does as well.  I mean, basically Khuutra needs to go build a Phantom/Dragon or Dragon/Evil affinity weapon and to do so he has to go around killing those type enemies with it over and over.  Exciting stuff.

I dont even understand what u are doing in this thread ...

Whatever, you dont really need to spend much time to focus on dragon to get an high affinity for them
The random dragon u meet are sufficient to upgrade ur affinity ...

same go for the others "species"

Time to Work !

Euphoria14 said:

Also, if you have a polearm, just use that because they are much better against dragons than an axe or sword. Also try running up to the dragon right at the start of battle and getting right below his head. Their strongest attacks are their breath attacks and hiding underneath not only can enable you to completely evade them but it also gives you easy attacks on the dragon's neck.

Degenerate, Invigorate and Herakles also can help out when you are in a tough spot.  

You will also learn that different parts of enemies bodies have different weaknesses. Make sure to carry different weapon types.

Also, if you really feel the need to grind for affinities, do not think that you really need to enter, fight enemy, exit, enter, fight enemy, exit, etc...

There are training dummies located around the city. Just chaining on those dummies will raise your affinities without the need to dungeon crawl and constantly enter/exit the same areas to respawn enemies.

Locations are here if interested.

Wine Cellar, "Blackmarket": Human dummyWine Cellar, "Worker's Restroom": Human dummyAbandoned Mines B1, "The Dark Tunnel": Beast dummyCatacombs, "Hall of Sworn Revenge": Undead dummyCity Walls North, "From Boy to Hero": Phantom dummyCity Walls South, "The Boy's Training Room": Dragon dummyTown Center East, "Gharmes Walk": Evil dummy
I understand that all of these may not be available right from the start, but later on it is useful info to have just in case affinities are your worry.
You will also find gems that you can insert into your weapon's hilt that grants you affinities, so affinity grinding isn't as bad as it seems.

I doub I have ever used those dummies ... just nort needed

Time to Work !

This is really more of a Vagrant Story discussion topic.

I'm dividing my time between VS and the Sith Lords Restoration.

Matsuno and Avellone. Doesn't get better than that.

Vagrant Story had a more mature type story than the FF series. It's my favorite console RPG.
It's not difficult once you learn how specialize your weapon with each group. IIRC there is lizard-like men that fall under "dragon"so continue killing them to up your dragon weapon. I didn't realize there were other creatures that fall under the "dragon" group my first go around either. So my first encounter with the Dragon I just "toothpick" him to death. (That is I did a lot of long chains of one point of damage each as if my weapon was a toothpick.) So once you learn the timing to do very long chain and to upgrade a weapon for each class the game becomes much easier.
I was very disappointed to learn that this game was too hardcore for consoles and the idea of a sequel was dropped. (at the end you could tell there was plans for a sequel)