By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor:ANOTHER PS3 Model?

libellule said:

VGChartz is full of hardcore gamers (including me !) for which BC is important (being able to play some oldies is great)

but for the average customers, what is the interest to play Madden/PES2006 when the 2008 edition is here.
Same for GTA or Virtua Fighter or GT.

Even if hardcore player would like to be able to play MGS1/2/3/4 in the same console, the casual gamers, IF he is interested in MGS4, will just buy MGS4 !
Same for Halo3 for example.

For us, BC is important.
But for the sales, BC is not important and absolutely not critical.
This is why Sony dropped it.

On the contrary, I'd speculate differently...

Most "new" gamers won't start gaming with a hugely expensive beast like the PS3.  I can imagine it would be quite hard for a 12 year-old to convince mommy and daddy to drop $400~$600 on a toy.

Most "average" gamers this generation likely started their gaming experience with the PS or PS2. Not being able to play their old games on the PS3 is probably pretty important to them because those represent the gaming world to them.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
libellule said:

VGChartz is full of hardcore gamers (including me !) for which BC is important (being able to play some oldies is great)

but for the average customers, what is the interest to play Madden/PES2006 when the 2008 edition is here.

Even if hardcore player would like to be able to play MGS1/2/3/4 in the same console, the casual gamers, IF he is interested in MGS4, will just buy MGS4 !

For us, BC is important.

Most "new" gamers won't start gaming with a hugely expensive beast like the PS3.  I can imagine it would be quite hard for a 12 year-old to convince mommy and daddy to drop $400~$600 on a toy.

Most "average" gamers this generation likely started their gaming experience with the PS or PS2. Not being able to play their old games on the PS3 is probably pretty important to them because those represent the gaming world to them.

On a personal level, hardware BC was critical to me when I purchased the PS3.  I had FFXII and then my PS2 stopped working.  As of right now, I have a $500 PS3 which I only use to play PS2 games (and Loco Roco).  I sincerely hope that Sony keeps BC in one of their available models through the PS3's lifespan.

"Human equality is a contingent fact of history. Equality is not true by definition; it is neither an ethical principle (though equal treatment may be) nor a statement about norms of social action. It just worked out that way. A hundred different and plausible scenarios for human history would have yielded other results (and moral dilemmas of enormous magnitude). They didn't happen." - Stephen Jay Gould

Systems I currently own (in order of preference): PS2, SNES, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Genesis, Nintendo DS, PSX, XBOX, Wii, PS3,  Atari 5200, Turbo-Grafx 16, NES, Gameboy, Game Gear, 32X.

Words Of Wisdom said:
libellule said:

For us, BC is important.

Most average gamers won't toss out their old systems as well.  Many will get the PS3 as a gift for Xmas and will be excited for all of the PS3 games that will be coming out for the PS3.  The biggest obstacle has been the price of the console, not the ability of BC.  Sure, it may be important to you or some other people, but it isn't everything to everyone.   And the 40gb will still play the ps1 games, just not the ps2 games as of right now. 

Again, we don't know anything about this machine and it could easily be a motherboard revision.  If you recall, the 40gb has a new motherboard from a different company, and it could be that they just adapted the 80gb to the new motherboard which may be a lower cost for Sony.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

A new SKU every season, hm... PS3 Spring 2007, PS3 Fall 2007...maybe they're on to something!

A new bundle wouldn't require an FCC filing, would it? I actually have no idea how your system works -- but since companies apparently file "for testing," I don't see why anything other than a hardware change would need a filing. Bundles are strictly a marketing thing.

The same goes for a new color. Would altering the dye used in the casing plastic really require new testing and approval? Maybe it would... but common sense says no.

As annoying as all the hardware revisions are, I see this as a sign of hope. What's annoying about these revisions isn't that they're confusing, but that they're releasing so many SKUs without ever getting it right. For me, that's a model with wifi, backwards compatibility, and a reasonable price. A new SKU is just another chance for them to finally get there.

Around the Network

Oh, and here's another wild theory:

Maybe they're doing what I hoped they'd do. After seeing the backlash against the 40 gig model, they've realized it won't fly. So, they're reworking it to include backwards compatibility, which requires a new FCC filing. The announcement of the 40 gig will be quietly delayed until this new, better version is ready, and they can pretend they never intended to release the crappy gimped one here in the first place.

Like I always say, a man can dream.

This is probably the 40gb ... in north america.. but... WITH BC!!!! For $399.99 Its coming out october 28th according to TARGET and BEST BUY.

mM

Maybe it'll be some crazy MGS4 model like the Halo3 XBOX(doubt it but you never know).

But now I want to know what it'll be before buying the 40GB version thats soon to come.

I've got a new theory about this, probably the most likely so far.

There are quite a few rumours that the 40gb PS3 uses a 65nm Cell processor (shrunk down from 90nm). I haven't found anything confirming it, but apparently it has fewer vents on the back, runs quieter, and uses less power (something like 150 watts instead of 180-90).

If that's the case, then all future PS3s manufactured will almost definitely use the same process. So, the new model filed with the FCC would be a 65nm 80gb system.

The question is how long it'll take these new systems to reach consumers, if they exist. There's probably a large stockpile of old 80 gig systems waiting to be sold, but maybe they'll be cleared by Christmas...