By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor:ANOTHER PS3 Model?

AgnosticJesus said:
Isn't this coming from the company that originally said multiple sku's lead to confusion? Oh, how things have changed

Amen...? 

Around the Network

@SSJ you speak ill things about others, such as not using common logic, well you let's fling that right back at you. Because you're not using any kind of logic either. Yours is only an assumption of what it might be,watered by what You would expcect from Sony and completely depraved of any proof.

Those that make fun of this next sku rumour have a point when saying that this is starting to be too much. Not too long ago it was YOU (sony fans) that were laughing your butts off at xbox 360 sku policies. Now, when the tables have turned everything is ok now? That very hipocritical. Stop acting like a kid.

Now.....wait a minute...remember that a white, ceramic ps3 was supposed to be launched in Japan this season? Maybe this is the one?

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

I need BC for my import PS / PS2 games and I´m not willing to pay over 700USD for an older model. They honestly don´t expect me to buy an expensive console, with expensive power consumption to use BC, or to buy a cheaper version, but being forced to buy a PS2, so just pay the same amount, but then again have butt ugly graphics on my LCD TV. Or do they expect me just to sell off my entire JP Playstation collection of more than 80 games? Fine, I'll just do that then ey! When BC disappears I don't see many reasons to buy myself a PS3 for at least another 2 years.

Sorry if my message doesn't make any sense, maybe I'll need to count until 10 first when reading these PS3 rumors, before I post...

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

hum,

a new sku now ... absolutely not expected.

the 80gb/40gb combo were completely sufficient in USA.
Same in europe with the 40gb/60gb even if the 60gb will not last more than 3 weeks.

wait and see.

Time to Work !

*~Onna76~* said:
I need BC for my import PS / PS2 games and I´m not willing to pay over 700USD for an older model. They honestly don´t expect me to buy an expensive console, with expensive power consumption to use BC, or to buy a cheaper version, but being forced to buy a PS2, so just pay the same amount, but then again have butt ugly graphics on my LCD TV. Or do they expect me just to sell off my entire JP Playstation collection of more than 80 games? Fine, I'll just do that then ey! When BC disappears I don't see many reasons to buy myself a PS3 for at least another 2 years.

Sorry if my message doesn't make any sense, maybe I'll need to count until 10 first when reading these PS3 rumors, before I post...

The best you can hope for is after the PS3 has stabilized they will released an ideal SKU for all consumers (perhaps akin to the PSOne for the PS or the Slime Line for the PS2, except in this case, a cheap SKU that has everything). At least by that time there will be a sizeable collection of Ps3 games for you to enjoy, but the wait will be frustrating.

Personally I don't know what's more frustrating, the fact BC was abandoned altogether on the PS3 or the fact the gaming community has convinced themselves that BC doesn't matter either. Just some personal venting.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

Personally I don't know what's more frustrating, the fact BC was abandoned altogether on the PS3 or the fact the gaming community has convinced themselves that BC doesn't matter either. Just some personal venting.

The latter.  The fact that the latest PS3 SKU has abandoned BC should only really matter to PS3/Sony fans and PS2 owners.  The fact that gamers are starting to buy into the BS and convince themselves it didn't matter is stupidity on gamers in general though also mostly PS3/Sony fans.

Still, another SKU... depressing.

Onimusha12 said:
*~Onna76~* said:
I need BC for my import PS / PS2 games and I´m not willing to pay over 700USD for an older model. They honestly don´t expect me to buy an expensive console, with expensive power consumption to use BC, or to buy a cheaper version, but being forced to buy a PS2, so just pay the same amount, but then again have butt ugly graphics on my LCD TV. Or do they expect me just to sell off my entire JP Playstation collection of more than 80 games? Fine, I'll just do that then ey! When BC disappears I don't see many reasons to buy myself a PS3 for at least another 2 years.

The best you can hope for is after the PS3 has stabilized they will released an ideal SKU for all consumers (perhaps akin to the PSOne for the PS or the Slime Line for the PS2, except in this case, a cheap SKU that has everything). At least by that time there will be a sizeable collection of Ps3 games for you to enjoy, but the wait will be frustrating.

Gladly you understand my frustration. I thought I would have been bashed by now, but luckily not yet. I can understand why for others it ain't important but those people need to realize and especially Sony needs to realize that it "is" important to a group of gamers and that group is probably bigger than they would have expected. Or they do know about that, but their noses are just bleeding. 

And yes, the frustration of waiting has become bigger and bigger. I never, ever expect them to drop the BC. I was at first waiting for a price drop and the SKU with the 65nm Cell, but as soon as they announced the new SKU without BC, I was stunted... and pissed.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

VGChartz is full of hardcore gamers (including me !) for which BC is important (being able to play some oldies is great)

but for the average customers, what is the interest to play Madden/PES2006 when the 2008 edition is here.
Same for GTA or Virtua Fighter or GT.

Even if hardcore player would like to be able to play MGS1/2/3/4 in the same console, the casual gamers, IF he is interested in MGS4, will just buy MGS4 !
Same for Halo3 for example.

For us, BC is important.
But for the sales, BC is not important and absolutely not critical.
This is why Sony dropped it.

Time to Work !

Would they require a new SKU if they wanted to include the rumble controller with one of the preexisting consoles? If so, that's probably what it is.

"Human equality is a contingent fact of history. Equality is not true by definition; it is neither an ethical principle (though equal treatment may be) nor a statement about norms of social action. It just worked out that way. A hundred different and plausible scenarios for human history would have yielded other results (and moral dilemmas of enormous magnitude). They didn't happen." - Stephen Jay Gould

Systems I currently own (in order of preference): PS2, SNES, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Genesis, Nintendo DS, PSX, XBOX, Wii, PS3,  Atari 5200, Turbo-Grafx 16, NES, Gameboy, Game Gear, 32X.

libellule said:
VGChartz is full of hardcore gamers (including me !) for which BC is important (being able to play some oldies is great)

but for the average customers, what is the interest to play Madden/PES2006 when the 2008 edition is here.
Same for GTA or Virtua Fighter or GT.

Even if hardcore player would like to be able to play MGS1/2/3/4 in the same console, the casual gamers, IF he is interested in MGS4, will just buy MGS4 !
Same for Halo3 for example.

For us, BC is important.
But for the sales, BC is not important and absolutely not critical.
This is why Sony dropped it.

to a point i agree, but "hardcore gamers" at least the most hardcore of them, would not mind having a number of consoles ranged around a tv screen, and some probably have large TV stands with lots of storage specifically for extra consoles and other TV tech.

Wheras the PS2 generation is mostly casual, and wouldn't want more than one console to play their games with, so until there are a number of singstar/DDR games (say at least 3 of each) on the PS3 they will still want to play their old games.

I will agree though that for the most part the casuals will not be that bothered about BC overall, but how many casuals can the PS3 pull in at the moment?

edit; you also might have people like me, who are some way inbetween. If the Wii had not been BC i would not have wanted to sell my GameCube (with the three games i played the least) and got a nice £36 off the price of the Wii.....and in fact some PS2 owners may have sold their PS2 recently, or were planning on selling it to help with the PS3 cost, which they shouldn't have done, or can't do now. (even though they could just get the 40g for £50 less and keep ps2...which would have probably got about £50... they dont get the extra two ps3 games)