By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony tackles BBC over 'PS3 failure' report

Unclean said:

:(

I would lol so hard at the bbc if Sony sued them:D

QFT

@Cypher1980

Sorry for your virgin eyes. Next time I'll keep that in mind. It's things like these that are so pathetic that you can't even stay quiet about it. Kinda like what Kanye did to Taylor Swift. As much I liked Kanye's songs back then I just can't help but rage at how stupid that was.

Edit: There I changed it for you Cypher hope that's enough to compensate for offending you.

Around the Network
Bastables said:
Cypher1980 said:
I hope the YLOD doesnt turn out to be an inherent problem like RROD or there is going to be a lot of egg on peoples faces.

On another tack. I'm all for passion given peoples pride and joys are being criticised but is the totally open swearing necessary. Just sub in a couple of $%^$% in the middle word.

If its starts with an F and ends in ING most of us can figure it out with missing letters.

You hope? Why bother hoping; available evidence does not show an "inherent problem." Watchdog certainly does not have a clue or an argument on the matter instead relying on some piffle about "trapped gas."

Also in a forum that allows fucking swearing in posts you're actually going to get precious at adult language being bandied about. . .

It's not a breach of the forum rules, so maybe you can let people discuss things as they wish with the langauge they wish.

Sorry Bastaples

I dont mean to seem precious and its not me that minds the swearing overly.

Its just some younger kids do frequent the pages and it just seems so mindless to have to resort to openly swearing.

If your comfortable with kids reading what you post then all well and good. I guess its their choice to visit the forum.

Also I appreciate the "available evidence" points to no inherent problem but thats how RROD showed up initially.

Low percentage of users with a general hardware failure. Nothing for MS to worry about. RIGHT ?

iron_megalith said:
Unclean said:

:(

I would lol so hard at the bbc if Sony sued them:D

QFT

@Cypher1980

Sorry for your virgin eyes. Next time I'll keep that in mind. It's things like these that are so pathetic that you can't even stay quiet about it. Kinda like what Kanye did to Taylor Swift. As much I liked Kanye's songs back then I just can't help but rage at how stupid that was.

Edit: There I changed it for you Cypher hope that's enough to compensate for offending you.

God Bless Your Heart ;)

Cypher1980 said:
Bastables said:
Cypher1980 said:
I hope the YLOD doesnt turn out to be an inherent problem like RROD or there is going to be a lot of egg on peoples faces.

On another tack. I'm all for passion given peoples pride and joys are being criticised but is the totally open swearing necessary. Just sub in a couple of $%^$% in the middle word.

If its starts with an F and ends in ING most of us can figure it out with missing letters.

You hope? Why bother hoping; available evidence does not show an "inherent problem." Watchdog certainly does not have a clue or an argument on the matter instead relying on some piffle about "trapped gas."

Also in a forum that allows fucking swearing in posts you're actually going to get precious at adult language being bandied about. . .

It's not a breach of the forum rules, so maybe you can let people discuss things as they wish with the langauge they wish.

Sorry Bastaples

I dont mean to seem precious and its not me that minds the swearing overly.

Its just some younger kids do frequent the pages and it just seems so mindless to have to resort to openly swearing.

If your comfortable with kids reading what you post then all well and good. I guess its their choice to visit the forum.

Also I appreciate the "available evidence" points to no inherent problem but thats how RROD showed up initially.

Low percentage of users with a general hardware failure. Nothing for MS to worry about. RIGHT ?

I think available evidence for the 360 was worrying because when RROD started it was so widespread even initially. But that's beside the point Watchdog put together a false argument with public monies. Editor was asleep at the wheel and apparently did not notice or care that one of his reporters had a conflict of interest. There is not even a concrete supportable argument of what watchdog thinks the YLOD represents.

One of the arguments for failure being some form of gas... really gas when did electronic equipment started producing exhaust gases. Or is there SKU of PS3 that runs on fossil fuels now and emit corrosive gases. Seriously trapped gases? Why would this make any sense on any level. What do trapped gases have to do with any electronic failure or are RROD on X360s actually caused by higher than ambient levels of helium or the existence of sulfur mustards in the case. That such a thing is purported indicates that the reporters/editors of watchdog feel they can get away with pseudo science in making up a story.

They don't have a causal variable to show a inherent fault, and their own (circa 12,000) figures refer to a .5% failure rate. A failure rate that is well within tolerances for electronic equipment and are not attributable to one cause aka an inherent fault. At best lazy reporting at worse libelious speech.

MDMAniac
BBC should just cancel iPlayer for PS3 in return, and that's all.

and lose 10% of there viewer
also bbc are already nearly going to have to share the money they recieve from
license payers to itv and channel 4 they dont want to make things much worse
for themselves. which it could get if sony does something

Around the Network
welshbloke said:
In some small way it was inevitable that Sony would get complaints around the YLOD. The comparison will always be drawn to the Microsoft RROD. Rightly or wrongly, I think at the real heart of this is the fact that Sony charge around £150 to repair the console although the price quoted above is less (probably a less vat amount).

The current charge for the warranty repair is driving people to 3rd parties which in turn will mean that Sony figures will not be accurate. I cannot see the figures being much higher though than the quote supplied by Sony. The majority of these repairs are out of warranty so people will always find the cheapest alternative which is not Sony which in turn means Sony may well be partially isolated from the failure rate.

It would make more sense for Sony to tackle the repair costs and spend less time moaing. Having watched this programe before they will likely make Sony out to be the anti christ and the damage will be done.

You bring up an excellent point... if Sony is so determined to prove that the issue exists a tiny percentage of the time, then they should put their money where their mouth is and eat the cost on those repairs.  But of course they won't... Sony is determined to make consumers who purchased the PS3, even those who purchased it for $600, eat that cost.  If I bought a console for $600 and it died 13 months later and Sony refused to fix it for free, I would be going to someone like Watchdog looking for relief.

Sony may win this battle legally, but they're going to lose it in the hearts and minds of consumers.

I think the bigger complaint and problem should be agiasnt the small .405mm laser those break so quick on 40gb and I think 20 gb.

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRyRxKlo9-o

Here it is in all its glory. Dont really think SONY have got a lot to complain about.

They might be miffed at the "stunt" attitude that Watchdog took but they were given the right of reply and chose not to use it.

Legally nothing can be done.

Cypher1980 said:

Here it is in all its glory. Dont really think SONY have got a lot to complain about.

They might be miffed at the "stunt" attitude that Watchdog took but they were given the right of reply and chose not to use it.

The only people who say Sony hasnt got anything to complain about are anti PS3/Sony people. It was a stitchup plain and simple.

alanshearer said:
Cypher1980 said:

The only people who say Sony hasnt got anything to complain about are anti PS3/Sony people. It was a stitchup plain and simple.

Well I beg to differ. I've watched it from start to finish and it seems a little sensationalist, but other than that, on the level.

I dont think the gas pockets are the cause either and give the program makers their due, they did say that SONY told them it was not the cause.

However it still doesnt tell us what is.

The fact that one blast in the magic oven fixed all 16 consoles (4 albeit briefly) tends to point to a single problem causing the failure.

Heck time will bring out the truth so lets no one get het up.

If YLOD's keep occuring SONY will be forced to fix em.

If it really is a small minority of owners with launch machines then the problems should eventually fade away.

Still from a tech perspective its really interesting.