By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony tackles BBC over 'PS3 failure' report

RJ@Melb said:
Why are u guys defending Sony? If there is a problem and Sony have to give out free repairs isn't that a GOOD thing? It should benefit YOU..

Its does not benefit me, because my PS3 will not break :P. I doesnt want bad press for them because if we want as much good games as possible we need them to have a lot of success.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
RJ@Melb said:
Why are u guys defending Sony? If there is a problem and Sony have to give out free repairs isn't that a GOOD thing? It should benefit YOU..

Its does not benefit me, because my PS3 will not break :P. I doesnt want bad press for them because if we want as much good games as possible we need them to have a lot of success.

No one knows what the future holds my friend.  I hope your PS3 doesn't break, but what if it did?  And what if you were one of those unlucky few that it has happend to?  I have a feeling that you and others would be bitching to no end if it had happend to you.  I know I would.  

The worst kind of press is the kind that won't go away and Sony is headed in that direction by not acknowledging a problem and by not fixing this stuff for free.  If the problem is at .5% it would cost them very little overall to repair each and everyone of the PS3's for free.  And they would have VERY good press for going above and beyond repairing.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

@damndl0ser

^^ Yes it would be good press but why is a console any different to any other electronic consumer product in terms of warranty requirements?

What I am saying is that if something tends to break out of the normal 1 year warranty, then the normal process is to get it fixed at your cost. This is not unique to a PS3. Yes, the 360 has a 3 year warranty and that is a great thing but we know why this was extended - due to severe failure rates.

So the question that needs to be asked here - what are the failure rates of PS3's. Sony has published that figure. Now, if that is just a crap figure, they have left themselves wide open to audit and examination. MS never published a failure rate for the 360. Everyone knew it was bad. They then extended the warranty. If they had not, lawsuits would have been flying. Sony, has published a failure rate. They have put their balls on the line. If it's a lie, they will eventually pay dearly in litigation.

Now assuming the PS3 failure rate is correct, then why is it required that Sony extend the warranty on PS3's? Yes it would be a great PR move but at the same time, one could interpret this to mean the failure rate of PS3's is far higher than what it should be. Sony have said it is not. So, because of the actions taken by MS with an obviously bad failure rate, Sony is damned if they extend a warranty and damned if they do not. It also would beg the question - why don't they extend their warranty on all other products? No one else does.

So assuming the failure rate is 0.5% (which I always thought around 2% was normal in the PC component industry), there is more on the line if they extended the warranty.

I'm not trying to stick up for Sony. I am honestly trying to be pragmatic here. Kudos to MS in how they handled the RRoD issue but I still feel MS had little choice. They took the risks probably knowing the product was not bench tested enough and they paid for it.

Homeroids said:
@damndl0ser

^^ Yes it would be good press but why is a console any different to any other electronic consumer product in terms of warranty requirements?

What I am saying is that if something tends to break out of the normal 1 year warranty, then the normal process is to get it fixed at your cost. This is not unique to a PS3. Yes, the 360 has a 3 year warranty and that is a great thing but we know why this was extended - due to severe failure rates.

So the question that needs to be asked here - what are the failure rates of PS3's. Sony has published that figure. Now, if that is just a crap figure, they have left themselves wide open to audit and examination. MS never published a failure rate for the 360. Everyone knew it was bad. They then extended the warranty. If they had not, lawsuits would have been flying. Sony, has published a failure rate. They have put their balls on the line. If it's a lie, they will eventually pay dearly in litigation.

Now assuming the PS3 failure rate is correct, then why is it required that Sony extend the warranty on PS3's? Yes it would be a great PR move but at the same time, one could interpret this to mean the failure rate of PS3's is far higher than what it should be. Sony have said it is not. So, because of the actions taken by MS with an obviously bad failure rate, Sony is damned if they extend a warranty and damned if they do not. It also would beg the question - why don't they extend their warranty on all other products? No one else does.

So assuming the failure rate is 0.5% (which I always thought around 2% was normal in the PC component industry), there is more on the line if they extended the warranty.

I'm not trying to stick up for Sony. I am honestly trying to be pragmatic here. Kudos to MS in how they handled the RRoD issue but I still feel MS had little choice. They took the risks probably knowing the product was not bench tested enough and they paid for it.

If a company produces a machine with known design faults, they are useually held liable for the design fault.  As an example the auto industry, a car or truck may work properly for 5 or 10 years and then something wears out because of a design fault.  When this happens there are major recalls and the company with the problem is out millions or billions of dollars.  

I guess the only question here is, does the PS3 have a known design failure.  And for those unlucky few that have gotten the YLOD I would imagine most of them will say it does.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

@damndl0ser

^^ agreed, however again it must be stated - Sony has given the failure rate (something competitors do not) and also gave a pretty detailed response due to the BBC Watchdog program. They have factual statements there. 0.5% is well within standard. So in other words, they are saying it is not a design fault.

You cannot guarantee 100% reliability. 99.5% is pretty damn good. This is why we have the warranty system in the first place and for most electronic products, it is 1 year. These processes have been around for a long time.

Around the Network
MAFKKA said:
slowmo said:
alanshearer said:
Cypher1980 said:
Christhegamer said:
I totally agree with the BBC, Sony do have a problem with the PS3 and the sooner it is covered with a extended warrany the better... I say that if it is less then 1% it will not cost them very much. Also I wrote to watchdog about 2 weeks ago to explain what happened to my PS3.. I hope this is because of me and my PS3... because when I was on my second reapir I called Sony and said I would write to them and make as much noise as I could.. Lets hope the little man has been heard

Good for you Chris

So many people on these forums seem to think that a console breaking after 24 months is par for the course.

Its just this type of drop trousers and touch toes attitude that lets big companies get away with poor QA.

I honestly cannot understand the attitude of some people on these forums.

For the record and I appreciate its a difficult concept for fanboys everywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You own a video console. You paid good money for it.

You didnt invent the sodding thing and the companies dont deserve your mis placed loyalty.

You fanboys should grow a brain. By the BBC's own reporting 0.5% of PS3's fail. It was a stitchup by the BBC nothing more.

0.5% just for YLOD supposedly that doesn't include all other faults.  Try growing a brain yourself and some manners wouldn't go amiss...

Thats true... but the issue here was YLOD, not "Oh crap i droped my PS3 down some stairs"-failurs. So a brain for xmas might due you some good aswell.

Allow me to explain why you've just made yourself look an idiot.  He quite clearly states and I quote "By the BBC's own reporting 0.5% of PS3's fail".  Where at any point in this statement does he specifically state that it is only for YLOD.  If you cannot be bothered to read peoples posts then don't try to be a smart ass and pick them apart.  I don't care what he thought he meant, he typed a fact incorrectly and then accused people of having no brains, seems rather ironic to me.

By the way I believe instead of due you may have meant do.  I'll pretend to ignore all your other spelling and grammatical errors but perhaps a trip back to school would be beneficial for you to improve your obviously vast intelligence.  If you want to lecture people then have the good grace to put some effort into your posts at least.  I hope Santa brings you something useful this year.

This sounds exactly like a lawsuit in the making. It almost seems classy of Sony to warn them that they're going to nail them to a wall instead of just doing it. Almost.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

yes!!!!! Sony once again being brought into the open for the crap relations they are truly Kings at!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8263063.stm

And you wonder why it got on Watchdog -

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/06/22/sony-pull-continuous-play/

If the they had the same amount of complaints from Wii user the Wii would also be on that program but they don't so it won't......