By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom: Japanese devs 'delighted' with Sony's wands; Expect Wii Ports

kowenicki said:
@superchunk

they showed it with 2 wands at e3... its clearly the standard for the system... big wands too.

ok, guess I just missed that, however, so playing NMH as MonstaMack envisions, you'll have one wand identical use as the wiimote, then another big wand just for analog and a few buttons... seems cluncky and a poor decision to me.

I really still don't see either Sony or MS motion taking off beyond smaller specific or new genre style games.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
sc94597 said:
Staude said:
superchunk said:
hmmm. Port over Wii titles directly. So, does that mean Sony has some kind of nunchuk-like utility?

you use 2 wands.

So you need 2 wands to play a single Wii game that is ported? I do hope these wands are cheap. By cheap I mean half the price of a regular controller.

That and it seems kinda awkward... idk, guess I will have to see it in action. Also, if 2 wands are required to mimick the wiimote+nunchuk then 4 are required for a 2 player game?

hmmm. I'm betting PS3's motion oriented games will only be the shovel ware of Wii games and bigger games will stick to DS3.

Also, is your 2 wands idea, your idea or has Sony said / demoed that somewhere? If so, source?

I'd guess that there will be some controller remapping required for any port.  Depending upon the needed gesture of the nunchuk hand, the PS3 Eye may be able to capture the gesture without any additional peripheral.  

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

superchunk said:
sc94597 said:
Staude said:
superchunk said:
hmmm. Port over Wii titles directly. So, does that mean Sony has some kind of nunchuk-like utility?

you use 2 wands.

So you need 2 wands to play a single Wii game that is ported? I do hope these wands are cheap. By cheap I mean half the price of a regular controller.

That and it seems kinda awkward... idk, guess I will have to see it in action. Also, if 2 wands are required to mimick the wiimote+nunchuk then 4 are required for a 2 player game?

hmmm. I'm betting PS3's motion oriented games will only be the shovel ware of Wii games and bigger games will stick to DS3.

Also, is your 2 wands idea, your idea or has Sony said / demoed that somewhere? If so, source?

Okay.. Nunchuck plus wii mote = 2 controllers

wand 1 plus wand 2 = 2 controllers.

They also said that you'd be able to play all previously released games, meaning each wand is probably like half a dualshock 3 (in layout)

Check out my game about moles ^

Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
the_bloodwalker said:
whatever said:
Both the PS3 wand and Natal are going to be brutal failures. There is no way there will be any major adoption of either this far into the generation.

I belive Natal will do much better for PC applications and will suvive well there. On gaming it will prove quite hard to do a high budget title, probably will do well on XBLA.

The PS3 wand will face a lot of issues, first because the console owners are already used to the dualshock 3 and prefer the games on with that input, so games will come with the tow options (wand and dualshock) which will kill the mommentum; the second is the lack of experience developers have in motion controllers. If thay couldn't even get it right on the Wii, that without WM+ has many limitations, how can they nail it from the start with the wand?.... it will be a slow process, not an explosion. But will not exceed what many fanboys predict

And the third is you can't even move by yourself. I still think the Wand is stupid. Natal isn't too bad though.

Soriku...you do know the wand is basically a Wii mote with motion plus added to it right?...if you hate SONY mote then u hate Wii mote man..and btw it will have a analog that was confirmed shortly after E3, the final bild will have a analog

Why? I'd rather have one motion controlled system over two. I know I'd never buy the Sony mote.

That makes no sense ? so you hate the wand because it's there ? that's somewhat ignorant behavior. Atleast if i'm reading you correctly.

dbot said:
superchunk said:
sc94597 said:
Staude said:
superchunk said:

you use 2 wands.

I'd guess that there will be some controller remapping required for any port.  Depending upon the needed gesture of the nunchuk hand, the PS3 Eye may be able to capture the gesture without any additional peripheral.  

While the nunchuk motion would require the 2nd wand as the eye uses the light ball to detect motion, what about the analog stick and buttons? I tihnk someone said each wand has a few buttons (similar to wiimote) and a stick. But, even the wiimote+nunchuk has had its fair share of needing more buttons on some games.

Well, next E3 will be interesting to see if any one including Sony has any real games working for it. Not games like Monkey Ball, etc, but a FPS with PS3 visuals/features and Wii controls. That would prove it could be a success as that is a nearly perfect combination.

Around the Network

^concidering it comes out spring.. i'd hope so.

Soriku said:
Staude said:
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
the_bloodwalker said:
whatever said:
Both the PS3 wand and Natal are going to be brutal failures. There is no way there will be any major adoption of either this far into the generation.

I belive Natal will do much better for PC applications and will suvive well there. On gaming it will prove quite hard to do a high budget title, probably will do well on XBLA.

The PS3 wand will face a lot of issues, first because the console owners are already used to the dualshock 3 and prefer the games on with that input, so games will come with the tow options (wand and dualshock) which will kill the mommentum; the second is the lack of experience developers have in motion controllers. If thay couldn't even get it right on the Wii, that without WM+ has many limitations, how can they nail it from the start with the wand?.... it will be a slow process, not an explosion. But will not exceed what many fanboys predict

And the third is you can't even move by yourself. I still think the Wand is stupid. Natal isn't too bad though.

Soriku...you do know the wand is basically a Wii mote with motion plus added to it right?...if you hate SONY mote then u hate Wii mote man..and btw it will have a analog that was confirmed shortly after E3, the final bild will have a analog

Why? I'd rather have one motion controlled system over two. I know I'd never buy the Sony mote.

That makes no sense ? so you hate the wand because it's there ? that's somewhat ignorant behavior. Atleast if i'm reading you correctly.

I don't hate the wand. I just don't think it's that much of a good idea and I doubt it'll help Sony much...

I doubt it'll help sony too but imagine motion controls done well. Wii mote is unprecise and even with motion plus the nunchuck is (extremely) unprecise. That is something I hope they'll do. When sony takes notes from someone else, they tend to greatly improve the original idea.

superchunk said:
dbot said:
superchunk said:
sc94597 said:
Staude said:
superchunk said:

you use 2 wands.

While the nunchuk motion would require the 2nd wand as the eye uses the light ball to detect motion, what about the analog stick and buttons? I tihnk someone said each wand has a few buttons (similar to wiimote) and a stick. But, even the wiimote+nunchuk has had its fair share of needing more buttons on some games.

Well, next E3 will be interesting to see if any one including Sony has any real games working for it. Not games like Monkey Ball, etc, but a FPS with PS3 visuals/features and Wii controls. That would prove it could be a success as that is a nearly perfect combination.

The Eye doesn't need the ball to detect motion.  It is just less accurate.  I am not that familiar with the nunchuk, is it 1:1 in a MotionPlus setup?  Sony said at GamesCom that they will be demoing real games with their motion system at TGS.  Hopefully we will only have to wait another week to determine if they have anything good.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

WM+ is very accurate from my experience.

Does the wand do accurate screen pointing a la IR so that games like Ghost Squad and Dead Space: Extraction are possible?

If so, it could be a good system on a par with Wiimote with Motion+

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Soriku said:
Staude said:
Soriku said:
Staude said:
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
the_bloodwalker said:
whatever said:

I don't hate the wand. I just don't think it's that much of a good idea and I doubt it'll help Sony much...

I doubt it'll help sony too but imagine motion controls done well. Wii mote is unprecise and even with motion plus the nunchuck is (extremely) unprecise. That is something I hope they'll do. When sony takes notes from someone else, they tend to greatly improve the original idea.

Motion Plus is only imprecise if there's not a whole lot of effort put in. When there is, M+ can do impressive stuff. That's not M+'s fault. The same way some wand games will be tacked on and imprecise too.

I didn't say it was imprecise. Sure it's not as accurate as the wand but it's pretty accurate none the less. What i said was the wii mote without wii motion plus, and the nunchuck no matter if your wii mote uses motion plus or not is imprecise.

I also like the option the ps eye gives them. IE headtracking, voice recognition and stuff like that. If sony roll with it i expect to see some epic results.