By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rank the Final Fantasy games you've played

Wow surprised by 10 or 12 showing up in anyones top 3. Especially for a so called FF fan. Heres mine.

1. FF6

2. FF7

3. FF4

4. FF8

5. FF3

6. FF9

7. FF10

8. FF1

9. FF2

10. FF5

11. FF12

Around the Network

i played all including spin offs what can i say im just obsessive about it.

Edit: and im not going to list which is better than which, cause these games are like my children so no comparision!

ff6/3
ff9
ff7
ff10
ff4+5
ff1+2
ff8
ff10-2
ff12

Wow surprised by 10 or 12 showing up in anyones top 3. Especially for a so called FF fan.

You have to love these condescending types of remarks. Especially one so obnoxious as to not even provide reasoning behind it.

I haven't played anything after XI, and I never completed VIII or IX (finished disc 1 of IX before getting bored, and I honestly haven't given VIII a fair shake yet). With that in mind, here's my ranking:

7) II - The original was a failed experiment for the most part. The remakes improved the levelling system somewhat, but it's still highly flawed. The whole concept of prolonging battles to get boosts is annoying. And I have mixed feelings about the ability to go to some of the last towns in the game very early on. On one hand, it breaks the linear RPG mold, but on the other, it kind of breaks the game itself if you actually do it (though doing so takes considerable effort). But if anything, I'd probably have to say this is my favorite feature of this otherwise mediocre game.

6) I - It's a good game, but obviously very dated. I just don't have much to say about this one.

5) III - The job system is flawed (too many jobs are just worthless, as opposed to only a couple in FFV), and I'd say that by nerfing late-game jobs, the DS version is worse, not better. Still, the original version looks amazing for its time, and the DS version was the first decent RPG on the DS.

4) VI - It took me about five attempts to finish this one. The magicite system is highly imperfect (compared to the job system of V and the materia system of VII), and quite frankly, almost all of the new abilities introduced in this game completely suck. Also, I hate Kefka for the exact same reasons that many people love him. By having a villain who's completely evil and insane from the get-go, I just lost interest. There's a reason Shakespeare gave most of his villains some moral ambiguity. The other characters (with the exception of Shadow, who is legitimately great) also don't impress me much.  Having said all that, the graphics and music are nice (the graphics are better than VII by a long shot), and the monster designs are probably my second favorite in the series.

3) IV - This one ranks highest in terms of nostalgia, being the first FF game I played (way back in 1992 or thereabout). It also has awesome characters (including the best Cid in the series), innovative gameplay, and a decent story (at least for its day).

2) VII - I understand how many people don't like this one. Its rabid fans are annoying, but that's no reason to hate the game itself. Rather, this game just isn't that great for people who insist on strict character classes or other mechanisms for making characters non-interchangeable. Fortunately, I'm not one of those people, and I love the gameplay in this one. Plus the story is my favorite in the series; I love the twists and turns and the intricate web of relationships woven between characters.

1) V - It's just the most fun in the series. And for how simple the story is, there's nothing there that I wish they'd taken out. Plus it has my favorite overall monster designs in the series and my favorite character in the series, bar none (Gilgamesh!).

Around the Network

VI
VII
IX
XII

For those who didn't like 7... I'm baffled. Final Fantasy has created my entire list of top RPG's ever made... Mostly.

I would rank them as follow:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XII

twesterm said:
  1. FFVI -- My favorite game of all time so obviously my favorite FF.
  2. FFIV -- Good game on the SNES and got better on the DS.
  3. FFXI -- My favorite MMO, I love the job and crafting system.
  4. FFIX -- Good game, probably going to replay it again.
  5. FFVII -- The game itself isn't terrible but it's just so incredibly overrated.  We get it, you're in love with Cloud and you think Sephiroth is hawt.  That doesn't make it the most incredible game in history.
  6. FFX -- It isn't' a bad game, but it's like your typical summer blockbuster: take away all the flashing lights and it's just meh.
  7. FF -- It was a great game in its day but by todays standards it just isn't good.  I play it every now and then when bored but only for nostalgic purposes.
  8. FFVIII -- Utterly forgettable story.
  9. FFIII -- I only played this one on the DS but I just didn't like it.  I got maybe 1/3 way through it and just didn't want to continue because I just wasn't that interested in it.
  10. FFXII -- Just a bad game.  The gameplay was a GREAT start but the way they implemented it, it just turned out so bad.  More importantly, the story was just so bland and the characters were so uninspired.  Easily the worst FF game of them all, I don't think the characters could be more uninteresting.

Note I didn't rank II and V because I haven't played enough of those to have any sort of opinion about them.

See this is why twestern = Awesome and the rest of you are garbage who have no real love for the series or an understanding of truth... if 6 and 4 are not at the top of your list you're not a FF fan you're a garbage fan who got in the series late and then moved down the list

Wow, Cueil, little harsh. Shame on other people having opinions that differ from yours.

I actually played IV and VI before VII but didn't really enjoy them all that much.
I always prefered the Lufia series to FF series during the SNES days. I generally don't like things that are too popular/overrated, but I feel VII is actually just a really good game. I have literally spent hundreds of hours playing through it multiple times. Deep story, interesting characters, a fun battle system, fun minigames. It pretty much has it all. I think that's the reason it attracted so many people to the series.

My list would be:

FF VII
FF X
FF IV
FF VI
FF V
FF
FF III
FF II
FF VIII
FF IX

I never played XI and I just rented XII once and hated it.

FF8 is the best. People who say that they didn't like it because of drawing obviously failed to grasp the gameplay as drawing is not something you have to do except on the occasion where drawing a GF is involved, that's like 10 times in the whole game; all of those items and cards that you get throughout the game.... They can be converted to magic, it is amazing how many people miss that core feature; it's like going through FF1 without equipping anything and complaining about the 15 hours of level upping they had to do. People who say it is because of the orphanage scene missed the point of the story; it's like saying FF7 sucks because Cloud is a clone, or FF6 sucks because the land of Espers was destroyed.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.