By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Natal. Will we see an increase in console sales when it arrives?

Natal will increase sales somewhat, but I really doubt it'll penetrate the mass market like the Wii Currently does for two main reasons; First, I don't see third party devs really getting behind this thing, and second, this Natal is not going to be cheap. It is rumored to be 200 bucks by itself.. The casual crowd will not go for that.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
One other thing I'd mention about the precedent of this happening:

Nintendo has had a great track record of breathing life into dead consoles with sweeping hardware revisions. They've done it twice: Once with the Gameboy/Gameboy Color, and another with the DS revisions which were decent sized overhauls. If MS does it right, we could essentially see the 360 break the typical sales peak at year 3, and maybe even peak at year 5 or 6 - a dream for Microsoft, really.

You're kidding, right?

The Gameboy and DS weren't dead by any scope. Not even close. To even compare the 360 to either one of those systems is just silly. When was it anywhere near as popular?

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

selnor said:
^ You realise when it is released, Natal comes with the 360 out of the box? Meaning it will definately be supported by 3rd parties. Also you have no idea what the software is, I'm sure their will be a new type of software we have never before seen, and cannot be ported to Wii.

Pricing will likely stay the same or drop. £159 360 with Natal + games package. A year from now, thats a given.

1) Nothing concrete has been said about Natal coming out of the box. Even if it were, it wouldn't get any serious third-party support, because like I said, every 360 owner wouldn't have it.

As far as software is concerned, since when has MS released a game that has the appeal of the software that we've seen on the Wii or DS? Every "casual" game they've released like Banjo & Kazooie, Scene It, Lips, Kameo, Viva Pinata, etc has fallen short of expectations, so what makes you think this will suddenly change just because of a controller that only a fraction of 360 owners will have?

I would like to add that when I say some developers are working with Natal, this means they are working on a Xbox360 exclusive, because there is no other console that offers something like that. This means:

• Sega
  • THQ
  • TakeTwo
  • EA
  • (Lionhead)
  • (Rare)

are currently working on a Xbox360 exclusive game.

And those are just the developers I can think of right now. Natal won't fail. B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Lord N said:
selnor said:
^ You realise when it is released, Natal comes with the 360 out of the box? Meaning it will definately be supported by 3rd parties. Also you have no idea what the software is, I'm sure their will be a new type of software we have never before seen, and cannot be ported to Wii.

Pricing will likely stay the same or drop. £159 360 with Natal + games package. A year from now, thats a given.

1) Nothing concrete has been said about Natal coming out of the box. Even if it were, it wouldn't get any serious third-party support, because like I said, every 360 owner wouldn't have it.

As far as software is concerned, since when has MS released a game that has the appeal of the software that we've seen on the Wii or DS? Every "casual" game they've released like Banjo & Kazooie, Scene It, Lips, Kameo, Viva Pinata, etc has fallen short of expectations, so what makes you think this will suddenly change just because of a controller that only a fraction of 360 owners will have?

Without a doubt those games would have sold more on Wii, because of the demographic. But Wii family owners would not buy a 360 as is for those games. However if they used Natal and were advertised on TV as that, I bet my bottom dollar/pound that families would buy Natal. It's all about the marketing. Marketing ads in the vain of this:

Would definately sell to casual family people who own a Wii. Because it appears to be a genuine tech advancement on the wii. It's a type of marketing like this which has caused Natal's Facebook and Twitter pages to have millions of hits. It's not about the hardcore market who own a 360 already, it's about those casuals who own a wii and say wow look what this does. M$ know they have the hype, they know they have to deliver experiences that are family friendly and are not able to be done on Wii. The majority of Wii games that sell are the type of games that aren't done by Nintendo. The casuals I know, don't play SMG or Zelda. They play cooking games, brain games etc. These are easy to make better with Natal.

Around the Network
leokind said:

here is the link http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/08/26/ps3-get-its-first-3d-game-this-thursday/

It's not the one i was searching, but it's something you should see

3d + ps3 wand > natal

huh... there's already an XBLA game that uses 3D 

http://www.invincibletiger.com/#/home

stika said:
leokind said:

here is the link http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/08/26/ps3-get-its-first-3d-game-this-thursday/

It's not the one i was searching, but it's something you should see

3d + ps3 wand > natal

huh... there's already an XBLA game that uses 3D 

http://www.invincibletiger.com/#/home

same game

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Seece said:

I think a redesign is coming as well, remember they said they want to relaunch the system. It's going to be like a new console launch.

We shall see but I think a $99/£99 Arcade will do serious damage.

That pricetag, Natal + some amazing game that showcases Nayal would dominate the season, and mayeb in the lungrun if advertised well even the generation.

But I doubt that will happen. Best case we will see 150 Euro Arcade standalone systems and 180Euro bundled with Natal.

To answer the OP I would say that Natal has a much better chance of helping the 360 as the motion controlller has with the PS3. It more original, needs less hardware and it does much more then the Wii motion controller. The PS wand is far superior also, but I doubt that the avrege consumer will notice that.

In worst case Natal will be a multi million selling gimmick. Best case it will help MS win this gen... I see it winding up somewhere between, becomming a pretty important system seller tough not a tide turner...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

project natal has also been advertised (indirectly) in the GAMER film...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubYTIazskQ 

watch 0.19...

selnor said:
Lord N said:
selnor said:

Without a doubt those games would have sold more on Wii, because of the demographic. But Wii family owners would not buy a 360 as is for those games. However if they used Natal and were advertised on TV as that, I bet my bottom dollar/pound that families would buy Natal. It's all about the marketing. Marketing ads in the vain of this:

Would definately sell to casual family people who own a Wii. Because it appears to be a genuine tech advancement on the wii. It's a type of marketing like this which has caused Natal's Facebook and Twitter pages to have millions of hits. It's not about the hardcore market who own a 360 already, it's about those casuals who own a wii and say wow look what this does. M$ know they have the hype, they know they have to deliver experiences that are family friendly and are not able to be done on Wii. The majority of Wii games that sell are the type of games that aren't done by Nintendo. The casuals I know, don't play SMG or Zelda. They play cooking games, brain games etc. These are easy to make better with Natal.

I don't think you understand here.

The Wii has had the Wiimote since day one. It has targeted every demographic since day one in both interface and in software. This is not true of the 360. If it's one thing you notice about the software that's driven the Wii and DS, not only does it appeal to every demographic, it's first party. Microsoft has never released a first party game with that kind of universal appeal, and third parties aren't going to take those kinds of risks with an add-on that only a small fraction of the 360 userbase will have. They simply can't afford to.

It also isn't going to sell to people who already own a Wii because most people buy only one system. It isn't just about making games that are family friendly, either. Nintendo's software isn't popular because they have some games for this demographic, and then other games for that demographic, and then other games for that demographic and so on and so forth, but it's popular because it appeals to everybody. All of the top Nintendo software this generation is challenging enough for core/hardcore/veteran gamers to enjoy and accessible enough for newcomers and casual gamers to enjoy.