By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Natal. Will we see an increase in console sales when it arrives?

i thought ms said they would up spec the 360 graphicaly with natal....?

they said they wasnt making a 720 but a up spec 360 .... that could FLY

all sony has done is rebrand and cut the price! wel ALL knew how big sony is! lets be honest we might not spend our money on gucci suits but if they cut places competevly we would all go shop there.

MS must keep up momentum next year they have some HUGE titles

Around the Network
selnor said:

Sony have done a grand job of reintroducing PS3 in the Slim model. Whilst cutting the price. Here in UK you can find it for £229 at Toys R Us with a game. Considering it was £299 without a game, thats impressive.

Microsoft haven't really answered Sony at all. So are Microsoft keeping the low entry system point the same waiting for Natal release? We know Natal will come with the 360 out of the box, which will bode well for adoption rate and third parties creating games for it. I guess it depends on whether M$ inhouse games really show what sort of experiences are possible and if they are a fun as they look like they can be. If Natal launches in October period of 2010, we should see a wealth of third party games to. The mrketing has to be spot on. Already the media love it, so the hard part is essentially done.

So is M$ letting Sony have it's time this holiday, cutting it's losses and pinning it's console sales increase on Natal's arrival. If Natal captivates the casual gamer they could have a great sales increase on their hands. They seem to not be rushing it which is good for buyers ( RROD :) )

What do you guys think? Are M$ just biding their time? So when Natal relases the 360 is not cheap as chips?

I think this is true. MS are not going to want to take Sony on this holiday period with aggressive price drops as it would make it very difficult for them to bundle Natal with an even cheaper arcade model and remain profitable. The 360 is still in a healthy position so there doesn't seem to be any point in taking unnecessary steps this year to keep market share from Sony when Natal is round the corner.

What Natal will do for sales I have no idea. At E3 I was fairly impressed with the demo but then realised that it was still just motion control and for the near future I just don't see anything other than casual games working well with it (same for Sony's wand). The problem for both MS and Sony is that the casual crowd has already been captured this gen by Nintendo and I think the Wii brand is too strong for Natal to really gain much market share. It's going to be very interesting though as the success of both Natal and Sony's wand could have large implications on the direction both companies take with their next console offering.

Slimebeast said:
selnor said:
 What is Rare up to? A proper Banjo game with Natal would probably get alot of Wii owners to buy 360 to. All Nintendo gamers from old remeber Banjo 1 & 2 fondly.

You believe Banjo is a system seller? After the last sub 80% game I doubt it, not that it ever was.

You have to understand that Banjo was up there with Mario 64 as The Platformer of the gen. Alot of Nintendo owners know a Banjo game in that mould would be fantastic. It would definately intice some Nintendo gamers.

Oh yes! Natal will do amazing things for the 360, i actually can't wait to see how things develop!

Hyams said:
I reckon it'll attract the same sort of 'expanded audience' that made the Wii a success. Natal is being targeted at people who are 'intimidated by a controller', after all.

So yeah, I expect it will drive up 360 sales.

I think this is the biggest problem Natal faces. The 'expanded audience' crowd you think it is targeted at (and I agree with you there) are not the type of crowd that I would expect to buy more than one console (certainly not in this short a time frame).

Around the Network
CrazyHorse said:
Hyams said:
I reckon it'll attract the same sort of 'expanded audience' that made the Wii a success. Natal is being targeted at people who are 'intimidated by a controller', after all.

So yeah, I expect it will drive up 360 sales.

I think this is the biggest problem Natal faces. The 'expanded audience' crowd you think it is targeted at (and I agree with you there) are not the type of crowd that I would expect to buy more than one console (certainly not in this short a time frame).

The question is whether those people see the adverts and see Natal as an upgrade. Or the next best motion thing. The casual audience  is easily adopted via marketing. They aren't the same as the hardcore market. And 360's price is already good. If the ads make Wii feel inferior and old, it can work to M$ favour.

selnor said:
Slimebeast said:
selnor said:
 What is Rare up to? A proper Banjo game with Natal would probably get alot of Wii owners to buy 360 to. All Nintendo gamers from old remeber Banjo 1 & 2 fondly.

You believe Banjo is a system seller? After the last sub 80% game I doubt it, not that it ever was.

You have to understand that Banjo was up there with Mario 64 as The Platformer of the gen. Alot of Nintendo owners know a Banjo game in that mould would be fantastic. It would definately intice some Nintendo gamers.

You can't really belive that though. Yes Banjo 1 sold a few millions but that was over a decade ago. Just like Tekken, Tonb Raider and other struggling franchises no one cares about Banjo any more. Not even Donkey Kong which is a Nintendo brand is guaranteed to sucess.

Yeah, the Arcade is really cheap - cheaper than the Wii - and Natal is getting a lot of coverage on mainstream TV.

I think most will see it as an upgrade. Better graphics plus even cooler motion controls for a cheaper price? 'Casual' gamers will lap it up.

im sure it will increase a certain amount but not too much because of course the wii

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

no.i don't see how this would help increase sales like the slim.

Gintama is the funniest show EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud owner of all currnet gen consoles.

I not a big wii fan

Okita the sadist.