By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF13 not downgraded because of 360

SE aren't going to just come out and say that FFXIII needed to be downgraded. The fact is that its now multiplatform. Regardless of which console it was orginally intended for, going from exclusive to multiplat is always going to limit how far you can push a game as you have to deal with the limitations of 2 consoles and have a harder time optimising for either.

Besides, very few Japanese developer have really set the world alight this gen. Western developers really have surpassed them in nearly all technical aspects. Only Kojima and Polyphony Digital have produced technically brilliant games this gen (although SMG on Wii is quite impressive), with possibly Team ICO, but Last Guardian isn't out yet. Technically, SE is really behind the times. Just look at what Western developers have produced so far this gen compared to Eastern ones.

Around the Network

Graphics are only important to a certain point.

When you first play a game, you may say "ooooh...pretty graphics". After a while, it is immersion and gameplay that takes over and makes the game fun. Graphics may help with the immersion, but if the gameplay sucks then you won't want to play the game for very long.

What I am saying is, get over it. If the graphics are slightly worse because it is being made for the XBOX360, it will only ruin it for the people who care about that sort of thing.

badingerZ said:
Fuzzy_Slipperz said:
badingerZ said:
fuck you... really

Fuck you too you poor cunt.

already know fucker...

denial your ass faggot

A newbies catfight... how ridiculous...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

selnor said:
Fuzzy_Slipperz said:

Why are all the 360 fans in denial? How can you not see that the Xbox's DVD limit is whats causing FF13 to be downgraded for both system. Has any of you played a FF game before? Do you know how long they are in gameplay? This is why the game has a huge chance of failing. Every Final Fantasy gets bigger and bigger. This game is now getting just a bit bigger but not enough. So Square can just downgrade the 360 version but noooooooo they want to make it equal. So now i have to enjoy short cut scenes ugly graphics, turn based gameplay because Square just want to make money. They should just cancel the Xbox version. The PS3 is selling well now and will sell strong next year so the game can sell fine on the PS3 alone. I doubt the game would sell well on Xbox since i use my Xbox to play shooters only. Its the only fun thing you can find on Xbox, shooters. Either they drop the Xbox version or make sure Versus takes up 30gb of blu-ray space. 

Sir, have you ever played an FF game? Are you aware that FF9 for example was 1.8 gb. FF10 which was a jump in generation was 5.4gb. Thats about 4.7 x the size of FF9. Lost Odyssey was 29gb in size. Thats more than 5 x the size of previous gen JRPG's. FF13 will be no different. M$ designed a compression agent for 360 games that is considered one of the best compression agents in the world. If they cant get it on 3 DVD's it will be on 4. There is no issue on discs. There never was with CDrom, there wont be here. There is a wealth of proof to show that FF13 on 360 and PS3 is pushing both graphically. It's sad that Fanboys will make up there own BS to suit what they want to believe. Even worse when not just one not just 2 but all media say the game is NOT gimped. LOL.

Off Topic. I hope the 2 users who swear at each other in this thread get permabanned. That is completely uncalled for.

I think you're missing the point entirely , the argument for the 360 downgrading FF13 is not based of the idea that the 360 is a weak console but the fact that a multiplatform final fantasy game will not be able to take advantage of all the PS3's unique attributes (The architecture , Hard drive , blu-ray etc) . Considering FF13 was originaly supposed to have been developed exclusively for the Playstation 3, it's understandable why so many Playstation fans are upset.

No argument can be made to support the idea that the current PS3 version of FF13 would be no different from what it was originaly supposed to be , the nature of multi-platform development means that the developer is unable to take advantage of the specific strengths of any of the consoles they are developing for. The specific strengths of a platform is what gives the game an extra edge IMO.

Now this isn't to say that Final Fantasy will be a piece of s**t  because of the 360 ,  the 360 will have no influence upon whether the general gaming community and the media regard FF13 as a classis or garbage.But what can be certain is that the 360 restricted SE from achieving the true potential of FF13 on the playstation 3 , the same could be argued if it was the other way around.

Million said:
selnor said:
Fuzzy_Slipperz said:

Why are all the 360 fans in denial? How can you not see that the Xbox's DVD limit is whats causing FF13 to be downgraded for both system. Has any of you played a FF game before? Do you know how long they are in gameplay? This is why the game has a huge chance of failing. Every Final Fantasy gets bigger and bigger. This game is now getting just a bit bigger but not enough. So Square can just downgrade the 360 version but noooooooo they want to make it equal. So now i have to enjoy short cut scenes ugly graphics, turn based gameplay because Square just want to make money. They should just cancel the Xbox version. The PS3 is selling well now and will sell strong next year so the game can sell fine on the PS3 alone. I doubt the game would sell well on Xbox since i use my Xbox to play shooters only. Its the only fun thing you can find on Xbox, shooters. Either they drop the Xbox version or make sure Versus takes up 30gb of blu-ray space. 

Sir, have you ever played an FF game? Are you aware that FF9 for example was 1.8 gb. FF10 which was a jump in generation was 5.4gb. Thats about 4.7 x the size of FF9. Lost Odyssey was 29gb in size. Thats more than 5 x the size of previous gen JRPG's. FF13 will be no different. M$ designed a compression agent for 360 games that is considered one of the best compression agents in the world. If they cant get it on 3 DVD's it will be on 4. There is no issue on discs. There never was with CDrom, there wont be here. There is a wealth of proof to show that FF13 on 360 and PS3 is pushing both graphically. It's sad that Fanboys will make up there own BS to suit what they want to believe. Even worse when not just one not just 2 but all media say the game is NOT gimped. LOL.

Off Topic. I hope the 2 users who swear at each other in this thread get permabanned. That is completely uncalled for.

I think you're missing the point entirely , the argument for the 360 downgrading FF13 is not based of the idea that the 360 is a weak console but the fact that a multiplatform final fantasy game will not be able to take advantage of all the PS3's unique attributes (The architecture , Hard drive , blu-ray etc) . Considering FF13 was originaly supposed to have been developed exclusively for the Playstation 3, it's understandable why so many Playstation fans are upset.

No argument can be made to support the idea that the current PS3 version of FF13 would be no different from what it was originaly supposed to be , the nature of multi-platform development means that the developer is unable to take advantage of the specific strengths of any of the consoles they are developing for. The specific strengths of a platform is what gives the game an extra edge IMO.

Now this isn't to say that Final Fantasy will be a piece of s**t  because of the 360 ,  the 360 will have no influence upon whether the general gaming community and the media regard FF13 as a classis or garbage.But what can be certain is that the 360 restricted SE from achieving the true potential of FF13 on the playstation 3 , the same could be argued if it was the other way around.

You state it perfectly, you siad IMO. Thats the point. SE said they hit a brick wall with the PS3 version and went as far as they could go with the PS3 limits. This was before a 360 version existed. There is a completely different team working on the 360 version who was given the task of porting the PS3 version onto it. When we finally saw the 360 version perform the same, every single fanboy has sat here and said " The PS3 version must be gimped. There is no way the 360 could have done a proper PS3 exclusive. " The reality is many fanboys have bought into Sony PR about how much more capable the PS3 is than the 360.

Heres an interesting excerpt from Crytek tech employee, who have without a doubt created the best engine on consoles. It has been confirmed a GDC this year that CRYENGINE 3 is the only console engine to be fully realtime, every other engine uses tricks.

" Now theres alot of engines that run, or to major engines that run beside us on consoles. But I would argue that nobody is running on PS3 as good as we do. I can put my hand on fire on this, NOBODY. I mean nobody. I have seen what people are running on PS3 and we here are running on PS3, 360 and PC this quality bar. I mean PS3 is the lowest medium for alot of people and in our case PS3 is running at the top level.

It's very difficult. The PS3 as an engine..uh.. as a technology platform is extremely challenging. But all the SPU's, the Cell architecture itself.. the...the.. low end GPU compared to the rest of the family, the 360 and PC it adds complexity to it, but we have managed to extract that complexity for the developer and write intelliugent computer systems that actually take care of the problems. Umm thats it."

Just goes to show that top devs are honest where PS3 is concerned.

Around the Network
Fuzzy_Slipperz said:

Why are PS3 fans in denial?  The dev explains that what they thought was originally possible was just too much for the consoles, but they must be lying if they don't say what you believe to be true.  SE could put the game on multi-disc for 360 if they wanted to, just like Lost Odyssey.  I'm guessing that creating enough content to fill more than a DVD-9 is just going to cost more than they want/can-afford to spend.

Is it still eating you up that SE realized the 360 was capable of running FFXIII and decided to port the game to it?  Let it go man... that ship has sailed.

selnor said:
Million said:

You state it perfectly, you siad IMO. Thats the point. SE said they hit a brick wall with the PS3 version and went as far as they could go with the PS3 limits. This was before a 360 version existed. There is a completely different team working on the 360 version who was given the task of porting the PS3 version onto it. When we finally saw the 360 version perform the same, every single fanboy has sat here and said " The PS3 version must be gimped. There is no way the 360 could have done a proper PS3 exclusive. " The reality is many fanboys have bought into Sony PR about how much more capable the PS3 is than the 360.

Heres an interesting excerpt from Crytek tech employee, who have without a doubt created the best engine on consoles. It has been confirmed a GDC this year that CRYENGINE 3 is the only console engine to be fully realtime, every other engine uses tricks.

" Now theres alot of engines that run, or to major engines that run beside us on consoles. But I would argue that nobody is running on PS3 as good as we do. I can put my hand on fire on this, NOBODY. I mean nobody. I have seen what people are running on PS3 and we here are running on PS3, 360 and PC this quality bar. I mean PS3 is the lowest medium for alot of people and in our case PS3 is running at the top level.

It's very difficult. The PS3 as an engine..uh.. as a technology platform is extremely challenging. But all the SPU's, the Cell architecture itself.. the...the.. low end GPU compared to the rest of the family, the 360 and PC it adds complexity to it, but we have managed to extract that complexity for the developer and write intelliugent computer systems that actually take care of the problems. Umm thats it."

Just goes to show that top devs are honest where PS3 is concerned.

Crytek are an exception to the rule though. Lets face it, they're pretty much the tech gods of this generation! So far this gen and in previous gens the best looking games and technically most impressive games have been exclusive to each console as it means the developers can program for the drawbacks of the console and in certain cases take full advantage of certain aspects and peculiarities of the hardware. Metroid Prime for instance actually made use of the smaller disk size in the Gamecube to order the data and improve loading times. Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 managed to push HDR style lighting which was previously thought of as impossible. Even this gen the best games so far have been exclusive. On PS3 Uncharted 1 & Killzone 2 look better then all multiplats. On 360 Gears 2 and Forza 3.

What Crytek have managed to acheive with the CryEngine 3 is pure genius.

Million said:
selnor said:
Fuzzy_Slipperz said:

This is proof that PS3 fanboys can be whining babies at times if things dont go their way. Final Fantasy XIII would've never gone to the 360 if SE didn't think it could handle it. I've seen far more games that had better graphics on the 360 than FFXIII. To want Final Fantasy to magically be created specifically for the PS3's architecture, is like saying you wish it was exclusive. Take Forza 3 for instance. Forza 3 cannot be made on a PS3, because it was created specifically for the 360's architecture; however, that game is exclusive. Tell the PS3 fanboys to wake up to the fact that this game is a multiplat.

^^^^^^^ What the hell??? ^^^^^^^

We just gotta wait for the japanese version to come out then we can compare.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Million said:
selnor said:
Fuzzy_Slipperz said:

This is proof that PS3 fanboys can be whining babies at times if things dont go their way. Final Fantasy XIII would've never gone to the 360 if SE didn't think it could handle it. I've seen far more games that had better graphics on the 360 than FFXIII. To want Final Fantasy to magically be created specifically for the PS3's architecture, is like saying you wish it was exclusive. Take Forza 3 for instance. Forza 3 cannot be made on a PS3, because it was created specifically for the 360's architecture; however, that game is exclusive. Tell the PS3 fanboys to wake up to the fact that this game is a multiplat.

It was supposed to be exclusive, and it was supposed to be created specifically for the PS3's architecture. Ever heard of the White Engine? You know, the engine custom made for FFXIII, that was to use 4 of the 6 SPUs specifically in order to render in game screens close to CGI? There are no SPUs in the 360.......put two and two together to see the conclusion I've come to with regards to what I just bolded