By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What the hell is up with infamous

SaviorX said:
Kantor said:
SaviorX said:
Kantor said:

Lol, the party was probably a discount stripper in his living room and some budget alcohol.

400k copies at an average of $20 per copy would be $8 million. That would have made a pretty tidy profit, actually. But less profit than LBP...

What does this have to do with anything?

Simply that if No More Heroes is a success, LBP is a far greater success.

Why did you mention LBP in the first place? That's like saying, if LBP is a success, Wii Fit is a far greater success. What's the point?

LBP is another game which is commonly said to be a failure, though admittedly not to the extent that No More Heroes is.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Brun2003 said:
That makes some sense but really i thought 1.5 mil would have been achieved in first 10 weeks from a business stand point it would make no sense and would probably make them not regret not going multi plat they couldn't have much money on the game being exclusive people who have a ps3 really need to buy more of the good games out there so we get more sequels and exclusives. Showing we as a community are committed to it.

How is a game that is published by Sony, done by a developer with close ties to Sony, supposed to have multiplatform as an option?  Even money Sony told Sucker Punch they wanted a superhero exclusive title for their system.

It didn't interest me, not my type of game.

What I'm getting at with this thread is its just sad that xbox has twice as many million selles and I would expect this game to sell like 1 of the top 50 xbox games its just as good quality as one of them I definitely find it more enjoyable than resistace 2

MontanaHatchet said:
mrstickball said:
I'd say Prototype launching alongside it didn't help.

Throw in the fact it was a PS3 exclusive, and that didn't help a ton either. Oh wow, I had no idea that inFamous was re-adjusted. Here, I thought it had outsold Crackdown. Ouch. Bomba.

Amazing that mods can get away with trolling.

Anywho, the game is selling fantastically. It's having really steady sales, and it's well on its way to a million. What more could you want? This game had next to no hype until shortly before release (say, 2 weeks or so), and even then, it wasn't that big. I'd say it's doing great.

Would you mind replying to what I said that was factually wrong in my post, rather than say I am trolling?

Infamous is a Playstation 3 exclusive, and like most exclusives, it needs a decent amount of copies sold to be profitable. Infamous is 3+ months old now, and not close to 1 million copies, given it's sales velocity (~17,000 units last week). Because of this, I would argue that the price has, or will, drop, reducing the profit per title sold, and increasing the number needed to be profitable for such a nice HD exclusive.

Maybe inFamous will redeem itself with great legs like Uncharted did, due to boosts from the PS3 Slim. However, with 14 weeks in the bag, it's selling ~17,000 units a week. At such a velocity, it will take approximately another 10 weeks, or 'til December to hit 1 million copies. Assuming it hits that (and it's still dropping), it may redeem itself from. Maybe not a bomb, but I'd still argue it was below expectations, and not very good, given sales of similar titles.

Again, I'd really like you to discuss the matter. It seems you love calling people out about trolling, yet never really bother discussing what they're presenting. Please provide a counter-argument, sir.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Don't act so innocent mr stickball. you're a mod you should know what trolling is. Both you and starcraft in this thread are being ridiculous.

Why argue with fools I say, wouldn't waste my time to be honest. OT; InFamous is selling reasonable for what it is, a solid game released in the slow Summer months aswell as being a new IP. Plus im sure it can make it to 1.5 Million when it gets to greatest hits status.

mrstickball said:
MontanaHatchet said:
mrstickball said:

Throw in the fact it was a PS3 exclusive, and that didn't help a ton either. Oh wow, I had no idea that inFamous was re-adjusted. Here, I thought it had outsold Crackdown. Ouch. Bomba.

Anywho, the game is selling fantastically. It's having really steady sales, and it's well on its way to a million. What more could you want? This game had next to no hype until shortly before release (say, 2 weeks or so), and even then, it wasn't that big. I'd say it's doing great.

Would you mind replying to what I said that was factually wrong in my post, rather than say I am trolling?

Infamous is a Playstation 3 exclusive, and like most exclusives, it needs a decent amount of copies sold to be profitable. Infamous is 3+ months old now, and not close to 1 million copies, given it's sales velocity (~17,000 units last week). Because of this, I would argue that the price has, or will, drop, reducing the profit per title sold, and increasing the number needed to be profitable for such a nice HD exclusive.

Maybe inFamous will redeem itself with great legs like Uncharted did, due to boosts from the PS3 Slim. However, with 14 weeks in the bag, it's selling ~17,000 units a week. At such a velocity, it will take approximately another 10 weeks, or 'til December to hit 1 million copies. Assuming it hits that (and it's still dropping), it may redeem itself from. Maybe not a bomb, but I'd still argue it was below expectations, and not very good, given sales of similar titles.

Again, I'd really like you to discuss the matter. It seems you love calling people out about trolling, yet never really bother discussing what they're presenting. Please provide a counter-argument, sir.

Just regarding the quest for profitability, I really don't think the budget of inFamous would have been anything astronomical. I can't pull up any figures on the Sly Cooper series, but I do remember reading in an issue of OPM that each title was developed with a modest budget - and, of course, the Sly series never sold gangbusters but they brought out several sequels so I can only assume that they were making a profit with modest sales off a modest budget, and that their gameplan for inFamous wasn't that dissimilar.

Regarding Monty's comments about your supposed trolling, I can appreciate the point you were making but your language was irrefutably sensationalist, i.e. "Wow... Ouch... Bomba"...

mrstickball said:
MontanaHatchet said:
mrstickball said:

It was trolling. Saying something like "ouch, bomba" when you have no idea how much the game cost to develop, or any idea of what its lifetime sales will be (it could easily double its LTD), then you're trolling. inFamous is a PS3 exclusive, and as such, it wasn't cheap. However, it was made by Sucker Punch, a second party developer. And since they're a second party developer, they're not only inclined to have lower budgets (it seems that most of the big financial flops on the PS3 have been from third parties), but they work more closely with Sony. Sony paid for publishing, and might have lent towards development. It wouldn't be as hard as you think to break a profit. Now, while inFamous is more than 3 months old, that doesn't mean it needs to have sold a million already. Prototype is also about 3 months old, and neither version (last I checked) has cracked a million. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Prototype was already profitable (although it does have the advantage of being multiplatform). If a game is still selling 17k a week 3 months after launch, the company won't be in a big rush to drop the price. If anything, those are great legs. I'm sure Sucker Punch is quite happy. There's nothin to indicate that the title will drop price, since it's selling just fine. And even if it does drop in price, the sales will adjust accordingly, making up for the losses. That's how price cuts work. Just because some HD exclusives bankrupt companies, doesn't mean all do.

If you're opening up for the possibility that inFamous will have legs on the level of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, why even say something stupid like in your original post? Why say "ouch" as if it somehow causes you pain to see a game bomb on a system that you probably don't even like anyways? I'm more inclined to think that PS3 slim boosts would go towards more casual titles, and you can see evidence of this in the latest American charts. Besides, not every title needs to sell a certain amount of copies in a certain amount of time to be successful. Have the games with the biggest launches this generation been anywhere near the biggest selling or most profitable? Hell no. If it hits 1 million at December, it's already doing great. At 60 bucks a pop, that's already 60 million dollars. And if, say, Sucker Punch only gets $20 a copy, that's already 20 million dollars. Easily enough to cover the budget. And if it wasn't, there's a Christmas boost and future sales (2010 and beyond) to get it to 1.5 million or more, easily enough for a big profit. If it wasn't a bomb, you shouldn't have said it was a bomb in the first place. Whose expectations are we talking about anyways? I doubt Sony set ridiculous expectations, and inFamous looks like it will easily be Sucker Punch's best selling title (the original Sly Cooper standing at 1.06 million). Oh, and comparing it to other titles doesn't matter in its success. As an example, Gears of War sells a lot less than some of the other shooter series on the market. On the other hand, it's still widely successful. At the end of the day, the developer couldn't care less how it does compared to other games or game series on the market. I called you out for trolling because you're held to a higher standard. And you wanted a discussion, so have fun with this one. Please give me a better argument than that, or I'll just tear it all up again.

fuck essays