By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What the hell is up with infamous

MontanaHatchet said:
mrstickball said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I guess you'll have a busy next few weeks banning everyone for arguing sales data when cost to develop is unknown, eh? Also, you argue that we have no idea what lifetime sales will be 14 weeks after it's debuted. Wow. So 14 weeks in, we can't gauge a sales trend? Most games, you know within 4-6 weeks, but we can't argue Infamous at week 14?

Prototype has sold over 1.3 million copies between both systems, not including PC. If you are arguing profitability on Prototype (which you just said was trolling a few lines ago - claiming that someone can't say a game has bombed despite knowing budget or LTD sales, then what's the difference from arguing profitability without knowing budget?). Furthermore, we know that games cost more this generation to develop. If you'd like to present a valid argument that Sly Cooper on PS2 cost the same as inFamous on PS3, I'd love to hear that argument, because it flies in the face of everything we know. Maybe the legs will continue, but if it's selling 17k this week, then one could only surmise that by November, it will be selling <10,000 units, since it's yet to increase sales on a given week. It dropped from 37k/wk to 27k/wk between weeks #6 and #10, then another 10,000 between week #10 and week #14. That is good legs, but has yet to produce a solid trend to say it'll continue selling well 2 months from now. The caveat is the PS3Slim launch, but if trends do continue, it's going to continue dropping. Only someone that doesn't look at VGChartz data could argue otherwise.

I was just stating that inFamous may have legs, giving Sony fans credit that something great may happen. However, for a nice exclusive to sell 850,000 in 3 months is not fantastic, given many other PS3 exclusives have done better in shorter timeframes. What are the biggest games this gen? Wii Fit? Grossed ~$160m USD on week-1. That's a fantastic launch, and one of the Wii's best. Mario Kart Wii? 2.3 million first week. That's certainly an amazing feat. Both had tremendous openings followed by trenemdous legs. Or are you trying to dig up other titles?

Forgot 'marketing expenses' somewhere in that budget, sir. Between both, inFamous, like most other HD titles, dev costs are ~$20m plus marketing. I saw plenty of inFamous commercials, so I'd assume that it had some sort of marketing budget, no? You also stated that there were plenty of inFamous commercials, so it's only reasonable to say that the recoup costs on marketing may inflate the budget a bit more than $20m.

Going back to the bomb quote. I guess on my end, I just was taken aback concerning that, as far as I remember, VGC lowered the sales of infamous a few weeks after it debuted. Maybe it's rusty memory, but I was thinking inFamous sold much closer to Crackdown than the X360 version of Prototype alone.

I am unsure what expectations Sony may have set for inFamous. I'd tend to think that the comparables of Crackdown, Saints Row and Prototype would be good - new IPs from decent studios for the sandbox genre. So far, inFamous is lower than all 3.

But I digress, maybe I called it a bomb premature, given that some seem to think that an exclusive AAA title needs to sell <1m to be a success. It may be profitable a year from now. Hopefully the studio can wait that long to earn a profit from the title.

Who said anything about banning? Felt the need to bring that up for no reason? You're a mod, you're held to a higher standard. You know you shouldn't go to games you've never played and have no interest in and don't even like at all and make negative, unfounded comments about it. Of course, this doesn't matter to you. I'm not saying that we have no idea what the lifetime sales will be. Rather, I said that YOU have no idea what the lifetime sales will be. Apparently you think (or thought, because you can't keep one opinion together) that the game was a bomb after 14 weeks, even though it was well on its way to a million. I don't really think you can gauge sales trends from 6 weeks in either. For its first few weeks, Halo 3 was selling on the level of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. However, its lifetime sales look like they will be nowhere close. And even over a year after it came out, I don't think many people would have predicted just how much Halo 3 would sell. Considering how casual centric the market has become, and the sales trends of games on different platforms, most games require WAY MORE than 4-6 weeks. I bet that for every game that you could tell the lifetime sales of within 4-6 weeks, I could name a dozen counterexamples....................................

.......................And the last paragraph you finally start to see the light, and for once, maybe, I can stop being depressed debating with you. But hey, I like you Stickball. You lose debates and you doesn't afraid of anything.

mrstickball has been hit with what we in the Okami universe call the "Holy Bone". It's going to be hard to sit down tomorrow. OWNED LOL

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

Geez Monti, that's.... impressive.

Stickball, care to take this shovel I have here to use on your next post?

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

The ones above have said it perfectly..Ownage from Monti himself!

Former something....

This thread became epic.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Max King of the Wild said:
Don't act so innocent mr stickball. you're a mod you should know what trolling is. Both you and starcraft in this thread are being ridiculous.

What?

This game simply did not do as well as the hype intended.  I created at least two threads praising the title after I had played it through.  I am hoping it's sales pick up as much as anyone else, but stop being so blinded and unreasonable.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Don't act so innocent mr stickball. you're a mod you should know what trolling is. Both you and starcraft in this thread are being ridiculous.

What?

This game simply did not do as well as the hype intended.  I created at least two threads praising the title after I had played it through.  I am hoping it's sales pick up as much as anyone else, but stop being so blinded and unreasonable.

Why must you always correlate hype with sales?

How about we crucify you after Mass Effect 2 comes out when it doesn't come close to Gears of War?  But I didn't say it would come close to Gears!  But you hyped it, and that's the same!  OMGZ!

This whole "hype" bull from console warriors gets so tiring.  Just let people be excited for their damn games.  >_<

I'm awaiting the countless "flop" threads after Demon's Souls comes out and sells like 300k lifetime.  What people should be doing at that time is lamenting that a great game sold so horribly.

makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:

What?

Why must you always correlate hype with sales?

How about we crucify you after Mass Effect 2 comes out when it doesn't come close to Gears of War?  But I didn't say it would come close to Gears!  But you hyped it, and that's the same!  OMGZ!

This whole "hype" bull from console warriors gets so tiring.  Just let people be excited for their damn games.  >_<

I'm awaiting the countless "flop" threads after Demon's Souls comes out and sells like 300k lifetime.  What people should be doing at that time is lamenting that a great game sold so horribly.

Note that I "correlated" it with sales.  I did not "equate" it with sales.

In this case, they hype was accompanied by a large number of outlandish predictions.  Both Mass Effect and Fable 2 met the predictions I made both long before and shortly before their release.  I don't think you can argue I hyped any game more than those two

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

My friends, we must end this cycle of hatred. No longer can we afford to fight these pointless fights of whose exclusives outsell whose. We must learn to love and respect each other, for that is the only way Vgchartz can become the greatest gaming site on the net. Now, I call upon all of you to spread the good word. No longer shall trolls reign free on the forums. No longer can an insult go hand in hand with a snappy comeback. No longer shall people make crappy posts with no content in lieu of an actual post!

We must rise, AND FIGHT!!!

RolStoppable said:
Good idea, MM. When exactly is Demon's Souls coming out? I need to know when I have to have the thread ready.

8 reasons why  Demon's souls failed.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
This thread became epic.

this. and I really wasn't expecting it to.