By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore: Stop having fun! Games are supposed to be serious!

darthdevidem01 said:
I played LBP with xxain today

We had a great time, full of laughs as our sackboys died & got trapped

so am I allowed to have fun on HD game consoles with hardcore games?

LBP hardcore? lol

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

@mesoteto

its by Malstorm

I stopped reading his BS a while ago, as have many other people on this website

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I'll grant that he's right to ridicule this gamasutra guy. "Fun" is the root of all gaming, quite simply. Nobody ever said that fun implied shallow, but everything gaming does has to be fun in some form or other, or else people will abandon it for more passive media. Gaming without fun becomes work.

But it was stupid of him to take it off and make it a love-fest for the businessman. Seriously? The guy trying to sell me a set of steak knives knows the ways of the world better than my Poli Sci professors? Doubt it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Shouldn't topics containing links to Malstrom articles be clearly marked? Seems like that should be one of the forum rules.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

mesoteto said:
i dont think you guys read the post did you...no just the cartoon

Yeah,I guess the comic touched a nerve with them

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

@chapset

lol

I see LBP as a hardcore game as:

1. Level creation is not that easy, only hardcore people can enjoy that

2. controls aren't easy to pick up (no they really aren't.....3 of my friends couldn't play it)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

isn't there room for different kind of experiences ? For fun and other emotions ? I don't like when people want to tell me what I'm supposed to think. I love games that are pure fun, I love games as art, emotional and thought provoking and everything between those two, around it or whatever.

The article was fantastic, but comic is pretentious and annoying. Keep the article, ditch the comic. It's only going to serve for people to only read the comic and complain about it.

To some of the people in this thread: Try reading the article!

I have fun playing Wii Sports where I just pick up and play.

I also have fun playing Mass Effect and Fallout3, but not because I can pick up and play, but because the games are immersive and involving, require moral choices and have a good story(ish).

I'm not sure what the point of all this really is. Different types of games for different markets. Both are fun and engaging in different ways.

yog-sothot said:
isn't there room for different kind of experiences ? For fun and other emotions ? I don't like when people want to tell me what I'm supposed to think. I love games that are pure fun, I love games as art, emotional and thought provoking and everything between those two, around it or whatever.

A game that is thought provoking but not fun to play is garbage

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)