By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore: Stop having fun! Games are supposed to be serious!

Fun doesn't necessarily mean "WHEEE WHEEEEE LOOK AT ME I'M THROWING A FRISBEEE!!!!!!"

Fun is enjoyment, and if a game is enjoyable, it's good. Games don't have to be serious at all. LBP isn't serious, Ratchet isn't serious, Jak isn't. Uncharted isn't overly serious. It's just that a serious game, like a serious movie, or a serious book, can be enjoyable.

The Wii isn't the only console with fun, you know. But if people want to play Frisbee Dog, let them. I'm sure there are people who would watch Scary Movie 4 over The Godfather.

And actually, Frisbee Dog (Wii Sports Resort) is still behind many of the "hardcore" (annoying word) games in sales. That'll change soon, of course. Though I'm not sure Wii Play outselling Halo 3 is something to celebrate.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Once I managed to install them and configured peripherals, if necessary, I even manage to have fun with PC games... Yep, I am so strange!
This said, even if I think that Malstrom every now and then is right, and he definitely is when he bashes this subset of hardcore gamers, he isn't righ a t all in general on this issue, a lot of hardcore gamers enjoy their games and have fun from them, but even more are hardcore only with some games and casual with others. And Wii didn't disrupt hardcore gaming, sorry Malstrom, Wii added a new way of gaming that can even add something new to hardcore gamers habits without negating their old loves, the only threat to hardcore games are lobotomized versions of classic hardcore titles, like the sequel to Deus Ex.

Malstrom is not saying that "hardcore" games can't be fun.  He is saying that "hardcore" gamers who think that games shouldn't be fun are nuts.

Any gamer who says games aren't supposed to be fun really needs to understand what gaming is all about...

I'm not sure if it was said in this thread, but someone said serious games like God of War and Halo can't be fun a while back. They aren't much better then the person I stated above.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Kantor said:
Fun doesn't necessarily mean "WHEEE WHEEEEE LOOK AT ME I'M THROWING A FRISBEEE!!!!!!"

Fun is enjoyment, and if a game is enjoyable, it's good. Games don't have to be serious at all. LBP isn't serious, Ratchet isn't serious, Jak isn't. Uncharted isn't overly serious. It's just that a serious game, like a serious movie, or a serious book, can be enjoyable.

The Wii isn't the only console with fun, you know. But if people want to play Frisbee Dog, let them. I'm sure there are people who would watch Scary Movie 4 over The Godfather.

And actually, Frisbee Dog (Wii Sports Resort) is still behind many of the "hardcore" (annoying word) games in sales. That'll change soon, of course. Though I'm not sure Wii Play outselling Halo 3 is something to celebrate.

You act like it is surprising that a $10 game bundled with a controller outsold a $60 dollar game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
Kantor said:

You act like it is surprising that a $10 game bundled with a controller outsold a $60 dollar game.

Wii Play was the best example I could think of, but it's also a stupid example, you're right.

Wii Sports is also bundled.

I can't say Wii Fit is bad (it's not)

Carnival Games, then. Outselling Uncharted. Let's go with that. What Malstrom is implying is that the sales suggest that Carnival Games is better, because the mainstream gamers have higher standards than the core gamers.

It took a while, but Malstrom's finally gone crazy. Yup, that expert blogger's lost his mind

Shadowblind said:
theRepublic said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Once I managed to install them and configured peripherals, if necessary, I even manage to have fun with PC games... Yep, I am so strange!
This said, even if I think that Malstrom every now and then is right, and he definitely is when he bashes this subset of hardcore gamers, he isn't righ a t all in general on this issue, a lot of hardcore gamers enjoy their games and have fun from them, but even more are hardcore only with some games and casual with others. And Wii didn't disrupt hardcore gaming, sorry Malstrom, Wii added a new way of gaming that can even add something new to hardcore gamers habits without negating their old loves, the only threat to hardcore games are lobotomized versions of classic hardcore titles, like the sequel to Deus Ex.

Malstrom is not saying that "hardcore" games can't be fun.  He is saying that "hardcore" gamers who think that games shouldn't be fun are nuts.

Any gamer who says games aren't supposed to be fun really needs to understand what gaming is all about...

I'm not sure if it was said in this thread, but someone said serious games like God of War and Halo can't be fun a while back. They aren't much better then the person I stated above.

And I suppose you own the patent on what gaming is about...

Around the Network
Larad said:
Shadowblind said:
theRepublic said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

And I suppose you own the patent on what gaming is about...

Of course, patent #19475-21. "All games are supposed to be created for the amusement of the player; i.e. to allow players to have fun, enjoyment, challenge, etc."

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I very well could be missing the point of gaming, and I certainly don't want to be doing it wrong.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Yeah ill just have fun.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I miss when more developers seemed to have the same idea of fun that I had. But I suppose they are businesses and games selling 10+ million selling games is more profitable than 2 or 3 million sellers. Sigh.

nitekrawler1285 said:
I miss when more developers seemed to have the same idea of fun that I had. But I suppose they are businesses and games selling 10+ million selling games is more profitable than 2 or 3 million sellers. Sigh.

That's exactly the point. These "fun" games often go on to cross 10 million, and the quality "hardcore" games which of course are not fun because they don't have ponies and mushrooms and bright sunlight, sell around 3 million. The industry needs more developers who don't care about money. Like Quantic Dream. Like Naughty Dog. Like Nintendo used to be.

Well, even if a game had the best storyline ever or something, I wouldn't play it if it wasn't fun.
Lair could be engaging but it was absolutely NOT fun, thus I didn't like it.

A lot of people in this thread seams to miss the point of this article. It's not about "core" games being boring and casual games being fun. It's a response to someone who says that "fun" shouldn't be used when talking about videogames. Which is kind of stupid imo.
Answer this: Can a game be less good if it's fun?