By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore: Stop having fun! Games are supposed to be serious!

darthdevidem01 said:
@chapset

lol

I see LBP as a hardcore game as:

1. Level creation is not that easy, only hardcore people can enjoy that

2. controls aren't easy to pick up (no they really aren't.....3 of my friends couldn't play it)

I fail to see how bad usability equals "hardcore game".

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

theRepublic said:

[...]

Clayton Christensen himself has called the Wii a disruptive product.

http://www.easy-strategy.com/sony-strategy.html

Yes, but he did it in a completely different and more reasonable way than Malstrom. Actually Nintendo found a new market, while keeping its old fans too, but it didn't destroy "old style" gaming, the two worlds have roughly the same size currently, and as long as the current gen ends registering a growth compared to the previous, each console will end its life profitably. And when Christensen wrote that, PS3 was still very expensive and XB360 still plagued by an horrible HW failure rate, things have bettered a lot for both since then. Reasoning as Malstrom does we should conclude that PS2 was a lot more disruptive for the last gen, as its competitors gave up leaving it at roughly 70% market share of their gen, and it's still selling, while GC and XB1 have long died. So yes, perhaps it was even more disruptive, but it killed neither Nintendo nor MS.

How successful a product is does not determine whether or not a product is disruptive.  The PS2 was not a disruptive product because it was based on the same values of all the consoles that came before it.

If that is what you understand from Malstrom's writing, then you need to read it more carefully, because that is not what it says.

Well PS2 could be defined disruptive as it widened the functions offered by a consoles.

About understanding Malstrom, wouldn't it help if he avoided using doom and gloom tones? And if he avoided implicitly implying destruction after disruption? Or pretending that each move of Wii's competitors is wrong? Disruption happened, it's undeniable, but what Malstrom writes can maybe describe the initial mind-boggling Wii success and the reactions to it, not how things evolved. Sony and MS were initially caught by surprise, but they both reacted, and about motion detection itself, it has already been experimented both on PS2 and PC, it's just that Wii was the first to have the right formula to make it really usable, enjoyable and appealing for the masses, but Sony and MS don't have to start from scratch to react to it too, it's more correct to say that they have to work on ergonomics of motion control, instead.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Well PS2 could be defined disruptive as it widened the functions offered by a consoles.

About understanding Malstrom, wouldn't it help if he avoided using doom and gloom tones? And if he avoided implicitly implying destruction after disruption? Or pretending that each move of Wii's competitors is wrong? Disruption happened, it's undeniable, but what Malstrom writes can maybe describe the initial mind-boggling Wii success and the reactions to it, not how things evolved. Sony and MS were initially caught by surprise, but they both reacted, and about motion detection itself, it has already been experimented both on PS2 and PC, it's just that Wii was the first to have the right formula to make it really usable, enjoyable and appealing for the masses, but Sony and MS don't have to start from scratch to react to it too, it's more correct to say that they have to work on ergonomics of motion control, instead.

That isnt what "disruptive" means, either. Disruptive means that it undercuts traditional values in favor of new ones and thereby gains control of the market through channels that its competitors never considered. The PS2 was not disruptive. It was a logical progression of the PS1.

^that

Here is my post (an exchange of posts actually) from another thread which relates to this http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2527298:

mike_intellivision said:
Cammie is a marketing person. Nintendo has chosen to market its systems based upon fun (rather than over-hyping specs or belittling the competition). So it is her job to convey fun.

Fun appeals to those who think of video games as play. It does appeal to those who think of video games as a challenge. Hence lies the rub.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Cammie is no dummy. Her degrees from U of Richmond and Harvard say that.

MontanaHatchet said:
What a pretentious post. Last I checked, the PS3 and 360 offer plenty of fun. They're also marketed as such. When Cammie threw a disc for a dog to catch it, that didn't really look fun. Nor did a lot of other things she showed off.

mike_intellivision said:
Why thank you for the complement!

Seriously though, it is how I think of the difference between the "hard core" and the "casual" gamer. If you are trying to complete a game and rack up all the achievements, you are in it for the challenge rather than to just have "fun." Meanwhile, others play just to have a good time.

I will admit that it does come off sounding a bit harsh and certainly the two states are not mutually exclusive.

Looking at other comments, the problem with Cammie is that she appears to be "fake" -- and there are just some people who are that way no matter how sincere they are about something.

Since I doubt that virtually no one here (participating in this particular forum discussion) has met her or talked with her, making presumptions about what is in her heart is really being pretentious.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Kantor said:

Not boring, of course. No good game is boring. But it doesn't have to be fun. The Godfather wasn't fun. Lord of the Rings wasn't fun. The Dark Knight wasn't fun.

Shadow of the Colossus wasn't fun, MGS4 wasn't fun, Killzone 2 wasn't fun, Heavy Rain won't be fun.

They're all still awesome, though.

I would sooner whack myself on the head with a hammer than be forced to play Frisbee Catch for any extended length of time. Of course fun games can be good- Mario Kart, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, light hearted games like that. But not all games that Mr. Malstrom considers "fun" are good. If the mainstream thinks they are, good for them.

I don't know what the Hell you were playing, MGS4 and SotC were fun as Hell.

Of course they were fun! In the sense that they were enjoyable. Were you laughing at any point during SoTC? Smiling widely? Swaying from side to side? Of course you weren't! That's exactly what I mean.

That's what I think of when I hear the word "fun". Something that would have a six year old singing and laughing and beaming.

That may well be what the blogger was saying, though he said it in an offensive way.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
I miss when more developers seemed to have the same idea of fun that I had. But I suppose they are businesses and games selling 10+ million selling games is more profitable than 2 or 3 million sellers. Sigh.

That's exactly the point. These "fun" games often go on to cross 10 million, and the quality "hardcore" games which of course are not fun because they don't have ponies and mushrooms and bright sunlight, sell around 3 million. The industry needs more developers who don't care about money. Like Quantic Dream. Like Naughty Dog. Like Nintendo used to be.

I'm sorry.

What?

I was in a ranting mood when I wrote that post. I assume you are objecting to the Nintendo comment. Well, you don't get the feeling that some of Nintendo's games are created with the clear purpose of selling millions and raking in pots of money? And have you ever seen Nintendo do that before this gen?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
theRepublic said:
Kantor said:

Not boring, of course. No good game is boring. But it doesn't have to be fun. The Godfather wasn't fun. Lord of the Rings wasn't fun. The Dark Knight wasn't fun.

Shadow of the Colossus wasn't fun, MGS4 wasn't fun, Killzone 2 wasn't fun, Heavy Rain won't be fun.

They're all still awesome, though.

I would sooner whack myself on the head with a hammer than be forced to play Frisbee Catch for any extended length of time. Of course fun games can be good- Mario Kart, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, light hearted games like that. But not all games that Mr. Malstrom considers "fun" are good. If the mainstream thinks they are, good for them.

I must use fun differently than most people here.  I never saw the Godfather, but the Lord of the Rings and the Dark Knight were both fun, enjoyable movies to me.

I know seriously, he must have a very skewed understanding of what fun is

The Dark Knight was certainly not a fun movie. Big Momma's House 2 was a fun movie. Up was a fun movie. Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a fun movie. All of them are awesome, in my opinion (even if I am the one person in the world who liked Big Momma's House).

The Godfather was not fun in the slightest. It was awesome, because it was gripping, told an excellent story, and had fantastic acting. But it wasn't light hearted. It wasn't funny. And that's how I think of the word "fun". Not that a fun game can't be good. I would consider LBP fun. I would not consider Killzone 2 fun- it was a game about invading a planet and killing people who only wanted freedom in violent ways. The opposite of "fun" in this case isn't "boring", it's "serious".

Another thing which makes a game fun for me would be the ability to do wacky things, like kung fu kicking a helicopter, or picking up somebody and chucking them into the ocean. This way, I would consider Prototype and Black and White to be fun. There's no real opposite here, because a lack of this kind of fun isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Certainly, if you use "fun" as "enjoyable", every game I have ever liked has been "fun". No game I have ever disliked has been "fun".

Kantor said:

I was in a ranting mood when I wrote that post. I assume you are objecting to the Nintendo comment. Well, you don't get the feeling that some of Nintendo's games are created with the clear purpose of selling millions and raking in pots of money? And have you ever seen Nintendo do that before this gen?

This wasn't addressed to me specifically, but I'll take it anyway since I'm bored.

I do get what you're saying, but making money is (one of) the biggest reason(s) to get into the videogame business. If you intend to make video games for a living, you HAVE to care about the money at least to an extent - that's a fact. Especially now when a single big flop can put you and your company out of business - unless you somehow manage to find a patron or something to finance your projects, or are a small-time indy developer.

And I don't personally think that Nintendo has really sacrificed its "vision" for money at any point. Way I see it, Nintendos goal has always been to make games that as many people as possible can enjoy (and make a fortune out of them) - not solely children, adults, hardcore gamers, softcore gamers, other gamers, non-gamers - but all of them, and it's damn good at what it does.

Nintendo may not be catering to you spesifically, but that doesn't mean they're completely ignoring you.

OT: Oh yeah, and people enjoy different things about videogames. Just because you don't like thing A, doesn't mean nobody else likes it either.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Khuutra said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

That isnt what "disruptive" means, either. Disruptive means that it undercuts traditional values in favor of new ones and thereby gains control of the market through channels that its competitors never considered. The PS2 was not disruptive. It was a logical progression of the PS1.

Then Wii isn't disruptive, as it put again in the forefront the traditional value of consoles, i.e. gaming, instead of added functions.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!