By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore: Stop having fun! Games are supposed to be serious!

Good games > Bad games > Malstorm

BTW, "Animal Crossing is a tour de force on the Human condition." is the most ridiculous quote I've seen in a long time.

Around the Network

that's because animal crossing sucks, imo anyways, it's too "lite."

Harvest Moon 64 is about the human condition. I tell you what.

Agreed the animal crossing part wasn't coo.

yeah sure those games are about the human condition. But they don't evoke any emotion. They aren't the human condition, they are just about things humans do.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
yeah sure those games are about the human condition. But they don't evoke any emotion. They aren't the human condition, they are just about things humans do.

Ignoring the implied humorous tone of my post, do you know what is referred to when people say "the human condition"?

im_sneaky said:
Agreed the animal crossing part wasn't coo.

Most people aren't emo. No offense to regular gamers, but the kind of guys who call themselves "hardcore" are the same people who called themselves L337 a few years ago; and the same people that everyone else called nerds. These are generally fucked up people who need to have things incredibly aggressive in their games, or with some sort of emo thing going on, otherwise they are unsatisfied; cut from the same cloth as those assholes who think the music you listen to defines you, and if you like any kind of music aside from  Metal or Classical, you're ignorant and closed minded. For the most part these people are rejects to society, which results in them being much louder than the other 75-80% of gamers who don't have time for that crap.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Some of his points are good : yeah, the average hardcore videogames is made for teenagers and the plot/story/character dev are all but amazing compared to some books/movie ...

but he also make some stupid points :
he, asically said that if it sells good then it is should be high standard ... yeah yeah, so britney spears is high standard too right ?

and the MASSIVE Wii/DS ads al over the T.V are not directed marketing toward familly ... right.

Time to Work !

Torillian said:
Reasonable said:

Well, the article makes points I understand and agree with while the blog rant is rather weak and, to quote itself 'retarded'.

Clearly the core focus on a game is fun an d gaming, but this will expand - and should - to encompass broader emotions and elements.

I see it as the distinction used by some directors when they speak about films vs movies. A movie is for fun first and foremost, and will be designed as such. A film may be entertaining, but it doesn't have to be in the traditional sense, as the goal is more serious.

So do I want great fun games? Sure, keep them coming. Do I want games that are serious, challenging and adult (note I mean context and theme, not mindless gore or some T&A)? Sure, bring them on too.

SOTC is fun to an extent, but the full experience is one of doubt and lonliness and a question of can you go to far for love? Silent Hill 2 is hardly a barrel of laughs if experienced in the tone intended. I enjoyed both of this titles as films, entertaining in their way, but with definite themes and a willingness to challenge you.

On the other hand I still enjoy titles like Super Mario Galaxy and just spent the morning with my kids playing Sports Resort.

What I don't understand is the desire of certain people to try and narrow things down to one specific type of experience, wanting nothing but fun, or nothing but serious titles.

Variety is where it's at, and the individual can then please themselves based on their personal preferences.

EDIT: Actually, given videogames actuall quite quickly expanded into many genres and experiences, I've felt for a while that the term Videogame is in some ways a hinderance and places a focus on the concept of 'game' only.

I really do enjoy your psts, I'm going to go make a Reasonable Fan Club.

You're too kind!  And let me say in return I certainly count you in the 'worth reading' category as well.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Khuutra said:
theprof00 said:

Ignoring the implied humorous tone of my post, do you know what is referred to when people say "the human condition"?

yes

To be honest I wasn't really responding to you more than you had only reminded me of what I read in the OP. I also didn't read the first link, so I don't know how they referred to it. I only know that while his animal crossing reference does have aspects of the human condition, it is only so if you look deeply into it. Because it doesn't actually refer to the human condition, it only depicts things humans do, without explicit expression.