By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Crysis 2 screenshot? (must see)

^ No Squirrel.

From the photograph in the OP, it's detail level is so high that you can see the ground surface/rubble is not a texture, u could not simulate that with a flat texture.

And the grass and rest of the foilage is even more detailed. Impossible to render before 2015. And even more impossible to design and develop.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

^ No Squirrel.

From the photograph in the OP, it's detail level is so high that you can see the ground surface/rubble is not a texture, u could not simulate that with a flat texture.

And the grass and rest of the foilage is even more detailed. Impossible to render before 2015. And even more impossible to design and develop.

Its called a procedural texture using perlin noise, and is completely possible using hardware as old as an Geforce 3 ...

If only the game was as good as it's graphics. From what I hear, crysis 1 isn't.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

HappySqurriel said:
Slimebeast said:

^ No Squirrel.

Its called a procedural texture using perlin noise, and is completely possible using hardware as old as an Geforce 3 ...

It never looks perfect and life-like though. It cannot simulate that ground in the OP. There's always a flatness to all textures.

Show me proof.

Slimebeast said:
HappySqurriel said:
Slimebeast said:

^ No Squirrel.

It never looks perfect and life-like though. It cannot simulate that ground in the OP. There's always a flatness to all textures.

Show me proof.

I have no proof, but I don't think you're really considering that a company like crytec has the capabilities to produce a screenshot today that will not be representative of what is possible in-game until high-end hardware is released 2 years after the game releases. We're already at a point in time where new Graphics cards can render more polygons per frame than there are pixels at 1080p, and in 3 or 4 years (when this screenshot might be representitive of the game) you could have games rendering 2 to 4 times as many polygons as pixels in game.

Around the Network

^I'll bump this thread every year til we have a computer generated game scene with that quality and detail.

Slimebeast said:
^I'll bump this thread every year til we have a computer generated game scene with that quality and detail.

To make my point clearer to you one last time ...

The XBox 360 is (roughly) equal to a 4 or 5 year old high-end PC, Crysis 2 will probably not be released for another 2 to 3 years, and it is likely that (if they maintain the strategy they followed with Crysis) a high-end PC 2 to 3 years after its release will be able to play Crysis 2 at full detail. What this means is that hardware that is as much beyond the XBox 360 as the XBox 360 is above the N64 may be required to play Crysis 2 at full detail.

Regardless of whether this is (or is not) a real screenshot, it is not unrealistic to expect that Crytec could produce a screenshot which is equally as impressive that is representitive of Crysis 2; but that wouldn't be represented in game for quite some time.

HappySqurriel said:
Slimebeast said:

To make my point clearer to you one last time ...

The XBox 360 is (roughly) equal to a 4 or 5 year old high-end PC, Crysis 2 will probably not be released for another 2 to 3 years, and it is likely that (if they maintain the strategy they followed with Crysis) a high-end PC 2 to 3 years after its release will be able to play Crysis 2 at full detail. What this means is that hardware that is as much beyond the XBox 360 as the XBox 360 is above the N64 may be required to play Crysis 2 at full detail.

Regardless of whether this is (or is not) a real screenshot, it is not unrealistic to expect that Crytec could produce a screenshot which is equally as impressive that is representitive of Crysis 2; but that wouldn't be represented in game for quite some time.

Well a forest mod from Crysis 2 or a demo showing from 'CryEngine 4' at a games convention will do fine. I agree and understand that it will take at least an Xbox 3 to run that properly.

But I don't think that still will be enough for truly life-like graphics like the forest scene in the OP. For that I beleive it will require a 100 times more powerful comp (compared to say a X360 or even a HD 4870 X2 equipped Quad Core), like the targeted 2015 hardware Nvidias CEO was talking about the other day.

Do we yet know if CryEngine 3 will be used for Crysis 2?

Looking closely it looks like a tampered photo to me (someone sharpened the edges to make it look "off-real")