By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Selnor,

What I was saying was not fanboyism. GoldenEye was the first great FPS on a console. If Halo has better controls than GoldenEye, that does not make it revolutionary. That is simply the natural progression of tweaking FPS controls over the next 3 years. Games SHOULD keep getting better. Sessler said that Halo's controls were revolutionary. They were not. There was nothing new about them. HOWEVER, something can be completely awesome without being revolutionary.

Metroid Prime 3 isn't using motion controls. It's using IR pointing to actually aim at the screen and pull the trigger. I'm not swinging my arm around like I'm playing Wii Sports. I'm making super subtle movements with my wrist as if I were using a mouse. The difference is that I'm pointing at the screen instead of resting on a mousepad, although I can rest my wrist on a mousepad while I play Metroid if I so desire.

Nintendo has been trying new control schemes, with both Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime 3. I think both schemes work pretty damn well. They felt better TO ME than analog controls. I don't think either are as good as a keyboard and mouse, and nothing is yet. I think these schemes came closer to keyboard/mouse than analog controls ever have.

I like Nintendo. So what? Does that mean I am somehow not eligible to discuss Halo or the video game industry at all? If that's how you feel, then you sir, are the only fanboy here.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network

indeed you are not a fanboy, just PREFERS nintendo games =D,

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Major Ninty fanboyism.

Playing Goldeneye now and Perfect Dark for that matter is horrible control wise. And Metroid prime 3 is only better if you like Motion sensing. Personally Analogs are far more natural for FPS. Halo reveolutionised the controls on a pad.

Negative. I played those games just yesterday. Infact, I had some new people play it for the first time when they saw me playing and they loved it. The c-buttons are essentially a very rudimentary version of the dual analog set-up. Now, Halo definatly took it to a better level with the dual analog, and made a nice evolutionary step. Take off the halo fanboy goggles and you might see this.

However no other FPS has a cult following anywhere near that of Halo. Also I expect Halo 3 will top best selling game of all time.

As far as cult following goes, most of the games on those list have a stronger cult following. Halo 3 is far far far more mainstream though, and has a great deal of mainstream popularity. That said, it still has not outsold Goldeneye. That says a lot about the strong following for Goldeneye, a game that never saw a true sequel.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Rubang B said:
Selnor,

What I was saying was not fanboyism. GoldenEye was the first great FPS on a console. If Halo has better controls than GoldenEye, that does not make it revolutionary. That is simply the natural progression of tweaking FPS controls over the next 3 years. Games SHOULD keep getting better. Sessler said that Halo's controls were revolutionary. They were not. There was nothing new about them. HOWEVER, something can be completely awesome without being revolutionary.

Metroid Prime 3 isn't using motion controls. It's using IR pointing to actually aim at the screen and pull the trigger. I'm not swinging my arm around like I'm playing Wii Sports. I'm making super subtle movements with my wrist as if I were using a mouse. The difference is that I'm pointing at the screen instead of resting on a mousepad, although I can rest my wrist on a mousepad while I play Metroid if I so desire.

Nintendo has been trying new control schemes, with both Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime 3. I think both schemes work pretty damn well. They felt better TO ME than analog controls. I don't think either are as good as a keyboard and mouse, and nothing is yet. I think these schemes came closer to keyboard/mouse than analog controls ever have.

I like Nintendo. So what? Does that mean I am somehow not eligible to discuss Halo or the video game industry at all? If that's how you feel, then you sir, are the only fanboy here.

O.k so I must be. You compare everything Nintendo! Main console 2 generations ago was N64. last gen PS2. This gen 360. I go where the good games are. Probably pick up a Wii soon. But juz cos it was selling well doesnt mean I would buy one. Now it's hardcore Ninty games are coming out it looks better to me. But the contols for me are a downer. I've played my mates and I'd rather have the option of a normal pad to. (I like sofa gaming laid back).

Actually the PS1 totally smoked the N64, which was at the time the most powerful system, because nobody cared about the RAW POWER, but they cared about FMV, which was fresh and new. Oh how the tables have turned! Now nobody cares about the PS3's RAW POWER, but they care about motion controls, which are fresh and new, and ... rumble, which is old and busted. This is definitely the weirdest console war yet.

Market share wise,
Nintendo was 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and now they're 1st again.
Sony was 1st, 1st, and now they're 3rd.
MicroSoft was 2nd, and now they're 2nd.
But we're talking distant 2nd (80 million) to close 2nd (1 million).
I have nothing against MicroSoft fans. We're eating Sony alive and loving it. We're on the same team!

The 360 games that look the most appealing to me were Dead Rising and Geometry Wars, but now Geometry Wars is coming to the Wii, so now the 360 only has 1 game that really interests me. I really really want to fuck up some zombies, but I don't want to pay for it. I'm definitely not saying the 360 games are all crap. I just have very specific tastes. I could be happy if all I played for the rest of my life was The Orange Box, StarCraft 2, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Tetris DS.

I only came here because it was titled "Dear Halo Haters" and I wanted to see if it was anything more than a "fuck you" and apparently it was actually a "go suck your own dick you stupid fuck." Interesting thread.

Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.

Around the Network
Rubang B said:
Actually the PS1 totally smoked the N64, which was at the time the most powerful system, because nobody cared about the RAW POWER, but they cared about FMV, which was fresh and new. Oh how the tables have turned! Now nobody cares about the PS3's RAW POWER, but they care about motion controls, which are fresh and new, and ... rumble, which is old and busted. This is definitely the weirdest console war yet.

Market share wise,
Nintendo was 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and now they're 1st again.
Sony was 1st, 1st, and now they're 3rd.
MicroSoft was 2nd, and now they're 2nd.
But we're talking distant 2nd (80 million) to close 2nd (1 million).
I have nothing against MicroSoft fans. We're eating Sony alive and loving it. We're on the same team!

The 360 games that look the most appealing to me were Dead Rising and Geometry Wars, but now Geometry Wars is coming to the Wii, so now the 360 only has 1 game that really interests me. I really really want to fuck up some zombies, but I don't want to pay for it. I'm definitely not saying the 360 games are all crap. I just have very specific tastes. I could be happy if all I played for the rest of my life was The Orange Box, StarCraft 2, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Tetris DS.

I only came here because it was titled "Dear Halo Haters" and I wanted to see if it was anything more than a "fuck you" and apparently it was actually a "go suck your own dick you stupid fuck." Interesting thread.

Fair enough. But I prefered N64 not for graphics but the games. AAA games n N64 were better to me than PS1. the animations and framerates hindered the playability on alot of PS1 games for me. top 5 games of that era are all N64 games. actually 4.

1. Zelda OoT

2. Mario 64

3. FF7

4. Perfect Dark

5. Banjo Kazoie

Oh word. Yeah I've never been into graphics either. I really liked OoT but didn't obsess over it like everybody else did. Back then I was all about GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64, Wave Race, Pilotwings 64, and this game Forsaken, which was basically just like Decent. Then StarCraft took over my life so hard I didn't even get a 6th gen console, but I still played Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, and all the GTA3 games at friends' houses. I almost went 100% PC gamer, but the DS and Wii lured me back in with their wacky new schemes, and now I'm back so hard that I even go to sites like this to read sales figures. Man Nintendo turned me into a huger nerd than ever.

Adam Sessler is one of my favorite reviewers and I couldn't agree with him more. It's just too bad that some of the people in this forum who either haven't watched that video or it didn't sink in need to get a clue.

The problem is that he didn't review shit, so there's not actually anything to sink in. It was not a review. It was him getting on a soapbox and yelling about stupid shit, hence the name of the bit, Sessler's Soapbox. He said, and let me paraphrase, "Dear people who do not enjoy this game that I enjoy, this game is the best game ever, it is revolutionary, is covered in gravy, and the best, and if you disagree you should suck your own dick because that is the only thing you can enjoy." And as a person who doesn't enjoy Halo, I must say, it's more fun than sucking my own dick. So he's even wrong there.

What was the message other than him whining about people not liking Halo? All I got was he got his feelings hurt by people not liking one of his favorite games for whatever reason.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229