By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Gnizmo said:
You may not like Halo but the only game in your list that is in the same stature is Half life. The rest are a notch or 2 down. Fact.

Video game sales records would disagree with you as Goldeneye is still the best selling console FPS ever (tied with Halo 2). It is also the 5th best game ever made according to gamerankings, 2 spots higher than the original Halo. Metroid Prime does not have the same sales ranking but it holds claim to the third best game ever made on gamerankings, 2 spots above even Goldeneye.

Counter Strike is easily the best known FPS ever made. It had been around for so long, and is still played so heavily it is unbelievable. It came out in 1999 and is still going really really strong. I know a lot of people who play nothing but Counter Strike, and they are never alone in their games.

Halo is a giant in the FPS dield, that cannot be argued. They helped standardize the current control set-up and it works very well all things considered. It is not alone in this status though, and a lot of the game on that list are up there with it.

However no other FPS has a cult following anywhere near that of Halo. Also I expect Halo 3 will top best selling game of all time.

Around the Network

What the hell was that?! I didn't realize that Mr. Sesslers happiness was tethered to whether or not someone likes Halo or not. Telling people to shove their Bleeps in their mouth so that they can get some satisfaction? You're kidding right? What was he so damn hostile about? The game has sold 6 million copies. It's not like there is some movement to destroy the Halo series' legacy. He looks like Bill Oreilly talking about the phony war on Christmas. While he certainly has a right to his opinion, I have no respect for this guy, or anyone else on G4, as game reviewers. They are just as biased and opinionated as any fanboy when it comes to their favorite franchises. Probably more so considering that they are constantly bombarded with swag from the developers. I mean the initial reviews of Lair that I saw on Xplay were glowing with praise. I have resorted to looking at reviews written by actual owners of the game on amazon, and forums like this one, to find good honest feedback on a game. I guess what irks me about the soapbox clip is that Mr. Sessler thinks he can speak to people like that just because they don't like a game? Guy is on a TV show based on his opinions. He gives us his email address so that he can read our comments on his opinions. Then he bitches because people made comments that he didn't like..... Does anyone else think the guys being just a bit melodramatic?

ItsaMii said:

Do you like arguing just for the sake of it? Let me try to be as clear as possible:

Sentence 1: Halo is 10 stage game.
Sentence 2: Halo`s cover is purple.
Sentence 3: Halo`s gameplay is amazing/boring/perfect/crappy
Sentence 4: Halo is a very repetitive game, there is 10 stages of which 3 are just earliers stage backwards.

Sentences 1 and 2 are sentences that meet the pre-requisites to be facts. 1 is true, 2 is false, so number 1 is a fact. What is the diference between sentence 2 and 3? 2 can be tested and falsified, 3 can not. 3 is a opinion, opinions can not be false, as long as you state it as a opinion (just saying that in your opinion the earth is flat does not mean that the sentence the earth is flat is not false). Sentence 4 is not a opinion, but neither is a fact  It can be a fact if you prove it and no one can find a problem with it. My sentence is just like sentence 4, it is not quite a fact it is a assertion.

What you said: do not state your opinions as facts.
What I said: it is not a opinion. It is a "may be" fact (assertion). If you disagree show me proof that it is a opinion or show that it is not a fact because it is false.
What you said: here is your counter argument: you stated it as a fact not a opinion

That is not a counter argument. You just told me what I have been trying to tell you the whole post. I made a claim that Halo is not epic, revolutionary and deep. Halo being fun/good is a matter of opinion, deep, revolutionary and epic is not. If you disagree show me why my sentence is false. This is not English subject it is Philosophy. Sorry if I was not clear enough and made such a big fuss, but please use the words correctly.

My last comment was a little uncalled for. I just get pissed of that making 50 "I love Halo", "Halo is god" threads is not enough for Halo fanboys. They must tell me that disliking the game make me a retarded. Like it or not the video was not debate friendly. If you dislike Halo you are stupid.

First, I'll start off by apologizing for my last, terribly written, post. I had some jackhole at work who insisted on talking to me and I completely lost track of what I was saying. 

I would argue that Halo is epic; it has large-scale undertones, engaging enemies, and a story that involves much more than just Master Chief. After all, you are part of a larger galactic conflict and for the time, Bungie did a good job of giving the player wide-open areas in which to roam. I won't argue that the levels had a tendency to be repetitive; shit, even Bungie admitted that afterward.

While some people argue that Halo is revolutionary, I won't. It was more of an evolution of FPS games onto consoles and it was the first shining example that FPS games could have good controls on the more accessible console instead of just PC. The same could be said of its multiplayer.

As for "deep", I wouldn't call Halo deep, but I do enjoy the story considerably, the same as I do Star Wars or any other myriad of films scoffed at by Academy members. Again, I'm not quite sure what "deep" exactly is and that was part of my point. Is it inner conflict? Outside conflict? Surprise twists? Or just a solid story that's well told? There is no correct answer to this which is why I had problems with you stating that Halo was not "deep". I've had loads of people tell me something is "deep" only to realize that all they consider deep is a confusing plotline that is extremely poorly told and completely cliched. You can take any handful of supposedly brilliant anime series/films and you'll see hordes of fanboys drooling over them and talking about how deep/brilliant/thought-provoking they are, much like you see the same for Halo in threads like these. Are they right? Maybe, but it's all a matter of opinion. I've also heard people talk about how stupid films like 2001 are, a movie that amazes me as much the twentieth time as it did the first. Who's right? Who's more qualified to say what is deep and what is not?

So, in short, pretty much anything that cannot be quantified by physical means, especially matters regarding art and entertainment, are entirely peoples' opinions, especially when large groups of people feel so strongly for and against each side of the argument.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

selnor said:

However no other FPS has a cult following anywhere near that of Halo. Also I expect Halo 3 will top best selling game of all time.

Halo does not have a CULT following.  It is popular with the mainstream (read: CASUAL) gaming community.  There are whole frats who don't play any games other than their Madden and Halo LAN parties.  I am not knocking Halo.  But it is definitely not a cult following.  Cult games are more like Katamari, Ico, stuff like that.  Big followings, but still under the radar.

And there is no way in hell that Halo 3 will sell more than Pokemon Red/Green/Blue.  That sold over 30 million, and the 360 might not even sell that many.  Neither the XBox nor the GameCube did.  I don't even think Halo 3 will outsell Super Mario World or even Nintendogs (14.92 million).

You can't say "fact" after something to make it true.  Fact.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Rubang B said:
selnor said:

Halo does not have a CULT following.  It is popular with the mainstream (read: CASUAL) gaming community.  There are whole frats who don't play any games other than their Madden and Halo LAN parties.  I am not knocking Halo.  But it is definitely not a cult following.  Cult games are more like Katamari, Ico, stuff like that.  Big followings, but still under the radar.

And there is no way in hell that Halo 3 will sell more than Pokemon Red/Green/Blue.  That sold over 30 million, and the 360 might not even sell that many.  Neither the XBox nor the GameCube did.  I don't even think Halo 3 will outsell Super Mario World or even Nintendogs (14.92 million).

You can't say "fact" after something to make it true.  Fact.

Ok so Star Wars is not a cult following? Halo merchandise at the moment is outselling Harry potter merchandise. Also look at the amount of Machinama. People devoting their entire lives to Halo? People make life size weapons of the AR5 and full Masterchief costumes out of Metal. It's definately a cult following. I wouldnt be surprised if some nutter starts some wierd Halo religion. You quoted ny post but I dont see no fact on it? That was my post before on a different matter. fact

Around the Network

My problems with Sessler's arguments from the video:

1) "Halo 1 was so revolutionary in finally having an FPS that good on a console."

Nope. You're talking about GoldenEye on the N64. Rare beat Bungie to the punch by 3 years.

(In my opinion, part of the reason MicroSoft bought Rare and Bungie was because they think FPS games are the most popular genre in their target demographic. This is why they also made sure to get exclusives out of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 on the old XBox. They wanted to make it a shooter box to steal that demographic before the 360 came out, so that games like Halo 3 could sell gazillions. They know what they're doing, but I digress.)

2) "The control scheme has not been beaten ON A CONSOLE."

Ooh nice try with that "on a console," but you're still wrong. Metroid Prime 3.

(I know it's not multiplayer, so it may be awkward comparing them, but comparing control efficiency only, Metroid is more efficient and immersive, in that it's closer to emulating keyboard and mouse or real guns.)

3) "Shove your **** in your mouth so I don't have to hear you anymore and you can finally get some satisfaction."

I put my **** in my mouth like you said, but it wasn't satisfying. It's like trying to tickle myself. It just doesn't work. Now I'm just sitting here bored looking like a dumbass with my **** all wet. Fuck you Sessler.

Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.

Lost tears of Kain said:
HappySqurriel said:

Halo was never particularly good (in my opinion) and built a reputation by being the best game on the XBox at launch and one of the only console games of its time to have 16 player lan play. The lan play is fun, but I'm pretty sure that Barbie's Horse Adventures would be pretty fun playing with your 15 closest friends.

I haven't played Halo 2 or Halo 3 (and have no interest) so it may have gotten better and less repetative in newer versions ...

WoW, i knew the fanboys would come, but holy shit, barbies horse adventure.

ALso you shouldnt be talking you havent played them.

Seriously im disgusted by the responses to this, barbies horse adventure?

See: hyperbole.  Your understanding of literary devices seems to be a tad limited.

selnor said:
Rubang B said:
selnor said:

Halo does not have a CULT following. It is popular with the mainstream (read: CASUAL) gaming community. There are whole frats who don't play any games other than their Madden and Halo LAN parties. I am not knocking Halo. But it is definitely not a cult following. Cult games are more like Katamari, Ico, stuff like that. Big followings, but still under the radar.

And there is no way in hell that Halo 3 will sell more than Pokemon Red/Green/Blue. That sold over 30 million, and the 360 might not even sell that many. Neither the XBox nor the GameCube did. I don't even think Halo 3 will outsell Super Mario World or even Nintendogs (14.92 million).

You can't say "fact" after something to make it true. Fact.

Ok so Star Wars is not a cult following? Halo merchandise at the moment is outselling Harry potter merchandise. Also look at the amount of Machinama. People devoting their entire lives to Halo? People make life size weapons of the AR5 and full Masterchief costumes out of Metal. It's definately a cult following. I wouldnt be surprised if some nutter starts some wierd Halo religion. You quoted ny post but I dont see no fact on it? That was my post before on a different matter. fact

Halo has its own soda.  That's as mainstream as you can get.  Let me know when something like the Rocky Horror Picture Show has its own game fuel.

Rubang B said:

1) "Halo 1 was so revolutionary in finally having an FPS that good on a console."

Nope. You're talking about GoldenEye on the N64. Rare beat Bungie to the punch by 3 years.

(In my opinion, part of the reason MicroSoft bought Rare and Bungie was because they think FPS games are the most popular genre in their target demographic. This is why they also made sure to get exclusives out of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 on the old XBox. They wanted to make it a shooter box to steal that demographic before the 360 came out, so that games like Halo 3 could sell gazillions. They know what they're doing, but I digress.)

(I know it's not multiplayer, so it may be awkward comparing them, but comparing control efficiency only, Metroid is more efficient and immersive, in that it's closer to emulating keyboard and mouse or real guns.)

3) "Shove your **** in your mouth so I don't have to hear you anymore and you can finally get some satisfaction."

I put my **** in my mouth like you said, but it wasn't satisfying. It's like trying to tickle myself. It just doesn't work. Now I'm just sitting here bored looking like a dumbass with my **** all wet. Fuck you Sessler.

Major Ninty fanboyism.

Playing Goldeneye now and Perfect Dark for that matter is horrible control wise. And Metroid prime 3 is only better if you like Motion sensing. Personally Analogs are far more natural for FPS. Halo reveolutionised the controls on a pad.

Rubang B said:

Yes goldeneye was great, i still never had the feel like i first picked up halo on the 360 controller, so technically goldeneye may of had it done in terms of gameplay, but in terms of control on controler, then halo wins in my opinion

2. Metroid is a mater of opinion, just like halo is, ive heard it can be good, and bad controls

3 Lol

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.