By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
ssj12 said:
W29 said:
ssj12 said:
I dont hate Halo.. I hate how overhyped it is. I rented a 360 just to beat it. It is not anything new or special to the FPS genre and there are many games that does everything it does better. It's only plus is it's the first well made FPS on a console. You can say "but the vehicles" but nothing, flipping GoldenEye 007 had a tank you could drive. Unreal Tournament 2004 has better vehicles and came before Halo (if you look half of Halo's vehicles are direct ripoffs of UT04's example/ Warthog vs the Scorpion).

You know what, I'm going to do the same thing for the PS3 when MGS4 and FFXIII comes out. Just rent the console and when finished give it back. Instead of forking out all the cash for a console like that.

Try and play Halo 3 on Xbox Live. The replayability is amazing. Just like the Nintendo fanboys will be saying next year when Super Smash Bros. Brawl release. There going to be like "SSBB is amazing online, Its better than Halo 3 on Xbox Live. Watch that happens.

most blockbuster videos only have 360s for rent, they dont have Wiis or PS3s yet. And I did, using my friends XBL account on his console as I only beat the single player when I rented it (legendary with all 25 skulls). Plus you still fork out a good bit to rent a console ($50).

It saves me from paying $500 or $600. I would rather rent then buy. And MGS4 is hitting sometime next year and FFXIII is being released in 2009. I know by that time PS3 will be in Blockbusters, Hollywood Video, or RentACenter and many more rent stores, but generally speaking I can wait.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
W29 said:
Sqrl said:
Just to be absolutely clear: Best by far all-platforms? Or Best by far consoles?

Well the best FPS last-gen and this gen as far as consoles. I don't think Killzone 2 will do anything special. Its attempt is to dethrone Halo.

Fair enough, I really don't think its fair to crown a single FPS as best ever for all-systems. There are just too many differences not only in the controls of PC vs Console but in the styles of various FPS to call one the definitive "best by far" imo.

But I can agree with the idea that Halo is the finest example of FPS on console.

Then there you have it. Thats all we wanted to hear from Nintendo and Sony users is that during last-gen and even this gen as far as consoles. PC FPS are always going to be better than console FPS. But no other FPS on consoles in my opinion will dethrone Halo. Halo is Xbox Live, it is multiplayer its fastpaced its exciting. Its the best console FPS ever.

Just to be clear I don't fully agree with the statement, but I do think there is a very good argument behind it. My personal taste find HL2 and the Orange box to be more fun.

To Each Man, Responsibility

@ Sqrl

Your entitled to your opinion. You see I can't say Half-Life 2 and Orange Box is whack or homo. I haven't played those yet. But I'm planning on buying The Orange Box this week coming up and I hope I'm a little satisfied or more than likely excited.

rocketpig said:
ItsaMii said:
rocketpig said:
ItsaMii said:

Do you realize you are another Halo fanboy? Why do not you attack the faulty logic of Halo fans? My opinion is that Halo sucks and it is not fun. Read my post again, I said fun is relative. If Halo is fun or not it is a matter of tastes and that is a opinion. What I said is that it is not epic, deep or revolutionary. These adjectives are not matters of opinion (maybe epic in literal meaning, but not in comparison to other FPS games). You need proof or arguments for these. If you think that what I said is not enough I can give you a more detailed post why Halo is not epic, revolutionary and have a deep storyline.

From Wikipedia:

A "fact" can be defined as something which is the case, that is, the state of affairs reported by a true proposition.

If you think what I said is not a fact you may use a counter argument to show me what is wrong with my sentence. Telling me that it is a opinion is just avoiding the discussion. Just show me what is wrong and what makes my statement a opinion.

Yeah, I'm a Halo fanboy. That's why I have been so staunchly defending the game in this thread.

Oh wait, I haven't been defending it. I said I liked the game and nothing more.

Here's the counter to your argument:

Your statement: "Fun is a subjective aspect, but Halo is not revolutionary, deep or epic."

From Wiki: A "fact" can be defined as something which is the case, that is, the state of affairs reported by a true proposition.

Now I'm no English major, but the first statement is a clear representation of the latter. In that sentence, you stated that "Halo is not revolutionary, deep or epic."

I don't know how much more clear that can be. You may have intended a different meaning (hence the "Fun is a subjective aspect") but by reading that sentence, you were stating that as fact, not opinion.

/takes off schoolmarm hat

Anyway, that wasn't what pissed me off. It was the last comment about gamers with good taste, as if anyone with good taste is somehow above the lowly game called Halo.

And it can be argued that Halo is "epic" and "revolutionary". I wouldn't go so far as "deep", but again, depth can be what you take from an experience, not necessarily what the experience is feeding you. I'm not going to bother with the details of why I feel that way about Halo because that isn't my point.

Those are your opinions, just f***ing admit it. There are no such things as facts when dealing with art, emotion, feeling, and experience. Just a whole lot of opinions you may or may not agree with.

Do you like arguing just for the sake of it? Let me try to be as clear as possible:

Sentence 1: Halo is 10 stage game.
Sentence 2: Halo`s cover is purple.
Sentence 3: Halo`s gameplay is amazing/boring/perfect/crappy
Sentence 4: Halo is a very repetitive game, there is 10 stages of which 3 are just earliers stage backwards.

Sentences 1 and 2 are sentences that meet the pre-requisites to be facts. 1 is true, 2 is false, so number 1 is a fact. What is the diference between sentence 2 and 3? 2 can be tested and falsified, 3 can not. 3 is a opinion, opinions can not be false, as long as you state it as a opinion (just saying that in your opinion the earth is flat does not mean that the sentence the earth is flat is not false). Sentence 4 is not a opinion, but neither is a fact  It can be a fact if you prove it and no one can find a problem with it. My sentence is just like sentence 4, it is not quite a fact it is a assertion.

What you said: do not state your opinions as facts.
What I said: it is not a opinion. It is a "may be" fact (assertion). If you disagree show me proof that it is a opinion or show that it is not a fact because it is false.
What you said: here is your counter argument: you stated it as a fact not a opinion

That is not a counter argument. You just told me what I have been trying to tell you the whole post. I made a claim that Halo is not epic, revolutionary and deep. Halo being fun/good is a matter of opinion, deep, revolutionary and epic is not. If you disagree show me why my sentence is false. This is not English subject it is Philosophy. Sorry if I was not clear enough and made such a big fuss, but please use the words correctly.

My last comment was a little uncalled for. I just get pissed of that making 50 "I love Halo", "Halo is god" threads is not enough for Halo fanboys. They must tell me that disliking the game make me a retarded. Like it or not the video was not debate friendly. If you dislike Halo you are stupid.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
Alexie Di Onie said:
@fagarcia75 - Then you have down syndrome

@MontanaHatchet - Now THAT is being an asshole, everything that man said is true (it is game of the year though) You stopped listening to a valid opinion that was oppisite your own only because his voice was annoying? No you stopped because you don't like Halo simply because it goes against whatever platform you support.

The game is great, everything about it is great, and all of your hating isn't going to change that fact.

@ fagarcia75 again - just because you say it wasn't revolutionary doesnt mean it isnt it was and it still is. You will not find a FPS that is as much fun as Halo 3.

List of FPS games that are more fun (FOR ME) than teh Haloz:

Doom 2

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

TimeSplitters 2 

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

CounterStrike: Source

Metroid Prime Hunters 

Metroid Prime 3

I prefer id, Valve, and Rare over Bungie, and the new Metroid schemes are rad.  I hate the control scheme of all teh Haloz and any game that tries to rip off Halo is an insult to Halo and to itself and to me.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I love it when people get up on a soapbox to preach what everyone already knows.

Point is Leave HALO 3 ALONE. IT's AWESOME.

Rubang B said:
Alexie Di Onie said:
@fagarcia75 - Then you have down syndrome

@MontanaHatchet - Now THAT is being an asshole, everything that man said is true (it is game of the year though) You stopped listening to a valid opinion that was oppisite your own only because his voice was annoying? No you stopped because you don't like Halo simply because it goes against whatever platform you support.

The game is great, everything about it is great, and all of your hating isn't going to change that fact.

@ fagarcia75 again - just because you say it wasn't revolutionary doesnt mean it isnt it was and it still is. You will not find a FPS that is as much fun as Halo 3.

List of FPS games that are more fun (FOR ME) than teh Haloz:

Doom 2

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

TimeSplitters 2 

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

CounterStrike: Source

Metroid Prime Hunters 

Metroid Prime 3

I prefer id, Valve, and Rare over Bungie, and the new Metroid schemes are rad.  I hate the control scheme of all teh Haloz and any game that tries to rip off Halo is an insult to Halo and to itself and to me.

You may not like Halo but the only game in your list that is in the same stature is Half life. The rest are a notch or 2 down. Fact.

You may not like Halo but the only game in your list that is in the same stature is Half life. The rest are a notch or 2 down. Fact.

Video game sales records would disagree with you as Goldeneye is still the best selling console FPS ever (tied with Halo 2). It is also the 5th best game ever made according to gamerankings, 2 spots higher than the original Halo. Metroid Prime does not have the same sales ranking but it holds claim to the third best game ever made on gamerankings, 2 spots above even Goldeneye.

Counter Strike is easily the best known FPS ever made. It had been around for so long, and is still played so heavily it is unbelievable. It came out in 1999 and is still going really really strong. I know a lot of people who play nothing but Counter Strike, and they are never alone in their games.

Halo is a giant in the FPS dield, that cannot be argued. They helped standardize the current control set-up and it works very well all things considered. It is not alone in this status though, and a lot of the game on that list are up there with it.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229