By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Losing Money On PS3 Slim

Kaz is jsut prepping investors for the red ink to following....smart move on his part.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
durtysouthhustlah said:
sega4life said:
yo_john117 said:

Well really now.  Who honestly believed that sony was actually making money one the PS3 after that 100 dollar price cut.

I had someone telling me in a thread that Kaz stated the PS3 was making a profit, when they are not.

Link to the post or it didn't happen.

Ok.. here ya go.

but I guess after reading it a second time, I was talking about PS3, he was talking about the company..

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Actually the article is not negative but people will always find ways on making it look bad

Cthulhu said:
Actually the article is not negative but people will always find ways on making it look bad

Two takes on the article...there's ALOT of people out there with mis-information about were the PS3 is...it's not profitable, and Kaz clearly and explicitly stated it...so, until he restates it, hopefully we won't get anymore nonsense post.

The second thing is that sony, at least Kaz, is letting investors know where the PS brand sits...good move.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

This is just the begining. Sony will star to make money till the next year.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
durtysouthhustlah said:
CGI-Quality said:
The PlayStation division is making a profit, as a whole. The PS3 is not.

Why do you guys love to focus on the negative aspect of this while ignoring the positive side?

The thread title says "Sony losing money on PS3 Slim," not "Sony losing money on PS division."

Of course the PS2 and PSPs are making money. They are old as dirt. However, their baby, the PS3, is bleeding like a gunshot victim in ER.

I am curious what shareholders are thinking about this *experiment* and the lack of money this product is making nearly 3 years after launch. And this is coming from a 2-generation video game leader. You'd think Sony would know a thing or two about winning. Apparently not ...

Ummm, I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that people too often jump all over the negative aspect while ignoring anything positive.

I don't think so, CGI. I think folks want news - not propaganda and not spam - but news. The positive is - the Slim is here and the $299 price point will generate sales. The negative? Sony's still bleeding money off the PS3. That's the truth. And the biggest piece of news is - how in the world Sony let the crown loose after two generations of being on top? Even if they stick to the 10-year plan and the PS3 outsells everything on the planet, it was still in last place for 3 years. That's a poor, poor start for the former champs any way you slice it.

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

heruamon said:
Cthulhu said:

Two takes on the article...there's ALOT of people out there with mis-information about were the PS3 is...it's not profitable, and Kaz clearly and explicitly stated it...so, until he restates it, hopefully we won't get anymore nonsense post.

The second thing is that sony, at least Kaz, is letting investors know where the PS brand sits...good move.

Well only an idiot or a die hard fanboy would think the PS3slim (the device) after 100bucks off would be profitable. But I remember in past generations it was the same (more or less). You lose on hardware, you win on software or from other sources.

And Sony being honest is a good move

CGI-Quality said:
durtysouthhustlah said:
CGI-Quality said:
durtysouthhustlah said:
CGI-Quality said:
The PlayStation division is making a profit, as a whole. The PS3 is not.

Why do you guys love to focus on the negative aspect of this while ignoring the positive side?

The thread title says "Sony losing money on PS3 Slim," not "Sony losing money on PS division."

Of course the PS2 and PSPs are making money. They are old as dirt. However, their baby, the PS3, is bleeding like a gunshot victim in ER.

I am curious what shareholders are thinking about this *experiment* and the lack of money this product is making nearly 3 years after launch. And this is coming from a 2-generation video game leader. You'd think Sony would know a thing or two about winning. Apparently not ...

Ummm, I'm aware of that. I'm just saying that people too often jump all over the negative aspect while ignoring anything positive.

I don't think so, CGI. I think folks want news - not propaganda and not spam - but news. The positive is - the Slim is here and the $299 price point will generate sales. The negative? Sony's still bleeding money off the PS3. That's the truth. And the biggest piece of news is - how in the world Sony let the crown loose after two generations of being on top? Even if they stick to the 10-year plan and the PS3 outsells everything on the planet, it was still in last place for 3 years. That's a poor, poor start for the former champs any way you slice it.

But mistakes can happen, just look at Nintendo.

I definitely agree. I nearly bought a Virtual Boy back in the day. However, they learned from their mistake and marketed the devil out of the Wii. And they relied on word of mouth. And nongamers to ignite the fire.

Sony's biggest obstacle, in light of this recession we are in, is to make folks say 'I need to buy a PS3.' They need to make folks want a PS3 so bad they'd plop down $321 bucks to get one. And right now, I don't see Sony doing it and they desperately need to to be victorious this generation.

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

Cthulhu said:
heruamon said:
Cthulhu said:

Well only an idiot or a die hard fanboy would think the PS3slim (the device) after 100bucks off would be profitable. But I remember in past generations it was the same (more or less). You lose on hardware, you win on software or from other sources.

And Sony being honest is a good move

I've already been warned about using the term "fanboy", but I think there were some who believed the PS3 was making money...notice Kaz said gross...not net.  the PS3 as a platform isn't profitable yet...they have some potential big games from internal studios, which might offset the $100 drop...but look at M$...even with the boost to consoles, and the increased amount of software sales...revenues are still down, and probably won't recover until this year with ODST.

Its more like, take one step back, to get two steps forward!
Considering the price of the peripherals, I can see how they make a profit. The games however, I do think are more at a decent price range (once they're about 6 months old, prices plummet).
New releases though, are insane, are steadily increasing (unbelievable, no exceptions to MS or Ninty).

There is no Knowledge that is not Power