By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Losing Money On PS3 Slim

numonex said:
heruamon said:
numonex said:
Small losses on PS3 hardware will be offset by increased software and accessories sales

Define samll?

Small losses = $50 or less per PS3 hardware system sold. PS3 sold around $300 on average now due to PS3 revisions. PS3 costs per unit rumoured to be around $340 to $350. So a $40 or $50 loss per PS3 sold. When all costs have been factored in.

An article stated PS3 now costs only $252 per unit to manufacture  but that does not take into account all the other costs involved such as storage, distribution, marketing, discounts, sales commissions etc.

$50 is smaller, but that's not small..and as posted on VGC, that 70% wasn't necessarily off the previously believed $840 per unit cost. 

@ Destroyer...

I thought the PS3 slim was the 45nm...thus the savings in power and cost...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
heruamon said:
numonex said:
heruamon said:
numonex said:
Small losses on PS3 hardware will be offset by increased software and accessories sales

Define samll?

Small losses = $50 or less per PS3 hardware system sold. PS3 sold around $300 on average now due to PS3 revisions. PS3 costs per unit rumoured to be around $340 to $350. So a $40 or $50 loss per PS3 sold. When all costs have been factored in.

An article stated PS3 now costs only $252 per unit to manufacture  but that does not take into account all the other costs involved such as storage, distribution, marketing, discounts, sales commissions etc.

$50 is smaller, but that's not small..and as posted on VGC, that 70% wasn't necessarily off the previously believed $840 per unit cost. 

@ Destroyer...

I thought the PS3 slim was the 45nm...thus the savings in power and cost...

Cell was confirmed to be 45nm, but no mention of RSX, which makes me believe that it's still 65nm....RSX has always lagged behind Cell when it comes to die shrinks.

W8 so ps3 slim HW is still sold at a lost but the over all playstation brand+game+peripherals are making profit......ok.....negative?.......

Predictable. Nobody in their right mind would think they would be in the green with a $100 price cut. PS3 Slim will get sales going, but they are still bleeding, so the situation isn't as awesome as many people believe.

CGI-Quality said:

Why do you guys love to focus on the negative aspect of this while ignoring the positive side?

It's a guilty pleasure of indulgent revenge since a good chunk of sony apologists spamming this site were adamant roasting microsoft for selling hardware at a loss while claiming the high ground and attacking microsoft on the basis they were using their resources to subsidize the hardware which was just a way of accusing them of unfair competition, all meanwhile they shouted to the rooftops how sony was breaking even or even getting a little money outta every ps3 sold.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

^^

so you admit that this is just so you can have somthing little to throw back at the other console fans on this little "console war"....

Well, from the amount of rampant insane sony fanboyism on VGChartz, i honestly don't blame him.

XxXProphecyXxX said:
^^

so you admit that this is just so you can have somthing little to throw back at the other console fans on this little "console war"....

Nah, it's about expecting coherence from posters, AKA I can't wait for some guys to start bashing sony because they are being unfair competitors.

Until they'll do it I'll be happy to rub their hypocrisy (sp?) on their faces.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@Masakari

LOL yeh I guess......but i just find it a little funny just to have something(even this little) to throw back at the fanboys for this childish "console war"....deym.

@XxXProphecyXxX

I hear ya... i think the "console wars" are just stupid. All platforms have great games, and competition only benefits us, the gamers and consumers, because platform holders try harder. It's a win-win for us, but some people (on all sides) prefer that only their "precious" chosen console has all the games, pretty pathetic if you ask me.

360 fanboyism annoys me just as much as Sony fanboyism, it's just that VGChartz has much more of the latter, and they are a bit spoiled, because they were used to win in the previous generations. Also doesn't help that a lot of people are teens / young adults that grew up effectively as the "playstation generation", while i had a ZX Sinclair Spectrum, and NES, Megadrive (Genesis), etc, i don't have the deluded notion that "gaming is PlayStation" lol