By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Losing Money On PS3 Slim

Sony Losing Money on PS3 Slim

The hardware business is not a profitable business. Don't believe us, just ask Sony.

When the original PS3 launched, Sony bled money on each PS3 sold. But the manufacturing process improved, and Sony was able to close the gap.

Just as that started to happen, the company is now launching a new hardware iteration. New hardware means new costs. When The Times asked Sony exec Kaz Hirai if Sony was losing money on the PS3 Slim, the exec said this:

If you're just talking about the hardware alone, the quick answer is yes. That makes good headlines, but I don't actually know that that's the true nature of the business that we're all in, whether it's PlayStation, Xbox or the Wii. I think the better indicator is to look at the business as a whole platform, to ask: are you profitable in terms of the hardware, software and peripherals. And the answer to that question is yes on a gross profit level since the last fiscal year.

So the small picture is that the PS3 Slim is not profitable, but the big picture is that PS hardware, games and peripherals are.

Oh, and thanks for the headline, Kaz!

Sony boss reveals plans for PlayStation [Times Online]

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Yeah i knew this would happen.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Well really now.  Who honestly believed that sony was actually making money one the PS3 after that 100 dollar price cut.

yo_john117 said:

Well really now.  Who honestly believed that sony was actually making money one the PS3 after that 100 dollar price cut.

I had someone telling me in a thread that Kaz stated the PS3 was making a profit, when they are not.

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

No brackets !?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
The PlayStation division is making a profit, as a whole. The PS3 is not.

Why do you guys love to focus on the negative aspect of this while ignoring the positive side?

The thread title says "Sony losing money on PS3 Slim," not "Sony losing money on PS division."

Of course the PS2 and PSPs are making money. They are old as dirt. However, their baby, the PS3, is bleeding like a gunshot victim in ER.

I am curious what shareholders are thinking about this *experiment* and the lack of money this product is making nearly 3 years after launch. And this is coming from a 2-generation video game leader. You'd think Sony would know a thing or two about winning. Apparently not ...

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

please dont get mad if this is a stupid question but does sony make money or get its money back from its HDTV's and other electronics?

kber81 said:

No brackets !?

I know I'm slacking.. ( sorry )

sega4life said:
yo_john117 said:

I had someone telling me in a thread that Kaz stated the PS3 was making a profit, when they are not.

Lol, I know exactly who your talking about.  I don't take anything he says seriously...

sega4life said:
yo_john117 said:

Link to the post or it didn't happen.

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!