By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the ps3 will sell 100 milllion?

You arn't going to last very long here...

Around the Network
JEDE3 said:
Masakari said:
JEDE3 said:
Masakari said:
Of course it won't sell 100 million, the Wii will. Stop posting these stupid threads, sony fanboys need to cool down and not spam the boards with nonsense.

lol... you should shut your yap before you really make yourself look more silly.

I have both xbox and ps3, that wasn't an anti-sony statement. It's a simple fact, the PS2 had no strong competition, it was market leader, the PS3 is 3rd with the Wii having double it's sales, and the Xbox brand growing every year. These threads are utter nonsense.

youre new to the thread so i'll give you a clue. the bold is where you went wrong.

he doesn't need to be calling people fanboys, but when you start a thread you should make an effort to actually post correct info.  The OP failed from the start.  When the OP fails then 99% of the time it's leads to the thread failing, often turning to flamebait.  Most of the posters in this thread probably spent twice the time as the OP making their posts.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
Masakari said:
JEDE3 said:
Masakari said:
Of course it won't sell 100 million, the Wii will. Stop posting these stupid threads, sony fanboys need to cool down and not spam the boards with nonsense.

lol... you should shut your yap before you really make yourself look more silly.

I have both xbox and ps3, that wasn't an anti-sony statement. It's a simple fact, the PS2 had no strong competition, it was market leader, the PS3 is 3rd with the Wii having double it's sales, and the Xbox brand growing every year. These threads are utter nonsense.

youre new to the thread so i'll give you a clue. the bold is where you went wrong.

he doesn't need to be calling people fanboys, but when you start a thread you should make an effort to actually post correct info.  The OP failed from the start.  When the OP fails then 99% of the time it's leads to the thread failing, often turning to flamebait.  Most of the posters in this thread probably spent twice the time as the OP making their posts.

yes. i agree. but i really dislike the generalizing that happens. toast isn't even a sony fan. and I can see this thread being quoted down the line as a "lol and all the sony fans thought the ps3 would sell 100 million" just like it happened with crazzymans ridiculous threads and leo-j's.

My money is on 100 mil life time. It is seling very similar to the PS1 and it did around 100 mil. With killer SW on the horizon (FF13, Verses, GOW3, U2, Last Gardian, Heavy Rain & GT5) and the new price / Slim people will change their tunes for the PS3's sales.

Another thing to note, the PS3 has realeased the Slim a year earlier than the PS2 did and 2 before PS1.

What cracks me up, tho is the haters saying 10 years is a joke. PS1= 10yrs. PS2 currently at 9yrs and still going strong! M$ has yet to achive anything near this with a console.

Gonna be funny watching the very envious M$ doing their best to out do them with that.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

HanzoTheRazor said:
My money is on 100 mil life time. It is seling very similar to the PS1 and it did around 100 mil. With killer SW on the horizon (FF13, Verses, GOW3, U2, Last Gardian, Heavy Rain & GT5) and the new price / Slim people will change their tunes for the PS3's sales.

Another thing to note, the PS3 has realeased the Slim a year earlier than the PS2 did and 2 before PS1.

What cracks me up, tho is the haters saying 10 years is a joke. PS1= 10yrs. PS2 currently at 9yrs and still going strong! M$ has yet to achive anything near this with a console.

Gonna be funny watching the very envious M$ doing their best to out do them with that.

the reason I think the haters of the 10 year plan are stupid is because they are so narrow minded. Just because Sony said it they think only Sony will accomplish it. No... that's not what the 10 year is. Everyone can obtain it., I don't see Nintendo, MS, Sony, or SW devs/pubs wanting to start a new gen so quickly. I mean... them putting the 10 year plan down just shows they have very little faith in their system.

Around the Network

Can I buy pot from you?

4 ≈ One

ph4nt said:
PS2 slim released in September 2004 if i'm not mistaken.

Sales of PS2 at that time.

52 million.

current sales.

132 million

total sales of ps2 slim.

80 million

percentage: 60%.

So PS3's current total, 23 million, would give a lifetime total of 57.5 million.

PS3 sales compared to PS2 sales at same point in life.

Ps2: 37 million

PS3: 23 million

% of sales = 62%

if it maintains this for a 10 year life like ps2.

PS3 end total: 81.84 million.

What did the PS2 Slim cost when it first came out?

JEDE3 said:

the reason I think the haters of the 10 year plan are stupid is because they are so narrow minded. Just because Sony said it they think only Sony will accomplish it. No... that's not what the 10 year is. Everyone can obtain it., I don't see Nintendo, MS, Sony, or SW devs/pubs wanting to start a new gen so quickly. I mean... them putting the 10 year plan down just shows they have very little faith in their system.

Perhaps so many people believe the Sony "10-year plan" for the PS3 is ridiculous not because it's impossible, but because it's very difficult to predict how long a particular platform will last.  Sony will stop selling the PS3 when it isn't a viable product anymore... no sooner and no later.  The 10-year guess is just that... a guess.

crumas2 said:
JEDE3 said:

Perhaps so many people believe the Sony "10-year plan" for the PS3 is ridiculous not because it's impossible, but because it's very difficult to predict how long a particular platform will last.  Sony will stop selling the PS3 when it isn't a viable product anymore... no sooner and no later.  The 10-year guess is just that... a guess.

I didn't realize the Ps3 has been a viable product for the last 3 years.

JEDE3 said:
crumas2 said:

I didn't realize the Ps3 has been a viable product for the last 3 years.

I'm not sure why you say that.  Perhaps my definition of "viable" is different than yours.  To me, "viable", when referring to a console, means a platform that has sufficient developer and consumer interest to sell in reasonable numbers to support a market for that product.  This isn't true for a lot of other products, for example TVs.  You don't sell TVs below or at cost to sell another product or service.  Gaming consoles and their associated games, on the other hand follow the razor rule... give away the razor so you can sell razor blades.

So when I say the PS3 is viable, I mean it's still possible for Sony to sell PS3s and PS3 games and potentially make money.  But when sales of the PS3 drop WW to a tiny fraction of current sales, they will likely stop selling it.  This will probably happen to the PS2 in the near future, say within a year or two.

The key thing is that Sony does not have a crystal ball--they can't know for certain how long it will be before making and selling PS3s and PS3 games will no longer make sense from a business perspective--and they can't afford to prop up a technology long after it should be retired.  That's a good business plan for failure.