By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

darkknightkryta said:
pokoko said:

They have more than enough people on the roster where they could rotate and they don't have to run house shows every week of the year.  New Japan has house show "tours" centered around each major PPV, with wrestlers getting time off in between.  I'm pretty sure the schedule is why so many Divas have ended up quiting the WWE, as well.

I disagree about WWE having a large roster.  ALL of their current problems is that their star power is to low, which is partly their roster size.  I mean, it's Wyatts, Brock Lesnar, Ambrose, Rollins, Orton, Jericho, Owens, Whatever Shaemus calls his group, New Day, Kallisto, Dudleys, and a few others.  That's not exactly a large roster, definately not large enough to create a rotation.  THOUGH, if they properly utilized their NXT talent and properly pushed people, then they would.  That's WWE's fault.  About the house shows, I actually had this discussion with my friends.  WWE makes a lot of money off of house shows.  It's oddly enough, their bread and butter (Next to merchandising).  Like, I felt they should have gotten rid of house shows, but my friend's counter was that they make too much money off of them.

The roster is only strained at the top because of the abnormal amount of injuries.  Even then, there are still guys being left off a three hour RAW every week.  When Cena returns, even more are going to be left off, as he typically eats up 20+ minutes.  Pretty much the same is true for Rollins, though I'm not sure about Orton.  They just aren't able to do stuff with all these people.  

Adam Rose  AJ Styles  Alberto Del Rio  Alicia Fox  Becky Lynch  Big E  Big Show  Bo Dallas  Braun Strowman  Bray Wyatt  Brie Bella  Brock Lesnar  Bubba Ray Dudley  Cameron  Cesaro  Charlotte  Chris Jericho  Curtis Axel  D-Von Dudley  Damien Sandow  Darren Young  Dean Ambrose  Diego  Dolph Ziggler  Erick Rowan  Fandango  Fernando  Goldust  Heath Slater  Jack Swagger  Jey Uso  Jimmy Uso  John Cena  Kalisto  Kane  Kevin Owens  King Barrett  Kofi Kingston  Konnor  Lana  Luke Harper  Mark Henry  Naomi  Natalya  Neville  Nikki Bella  Paige  R-Truth  Randy Orton  Roman Reigns  Rusev  Ryback  Sasha Banks  Seth Rollins  Sheamus  Sin Cara  Stardust  Summer Rae  Tamina  The Miz  Titus O'Neil  Triple H  Tyler Breeze  Viktor  Xavier Woods  Zack Ryder

From the WWE website.  I edited out the non-wrestlers and people who probably won't be back in the near future, like Alex Riley, Tyson Kidd, and Emma.  Sami Zayn should be added soon.  Bayley and Enzo/Cass as well.  Joe could be called up tomorrow and he would fit right in.  Nakamura is on deck.  Anderson/Gallows will be there soon.  Balor is ready.

So many guys in holding patterns and place-holder groups.  Harper, Sandow, Fandango, Breeze, Cesaro, Barrett, Rusev, Neville, Natalya, Paige, and Viktor/Konnor should all be used better than they are and it's only going to get tougher.

As far as a rotation, I'm not talking about guys getting half the year off or anything, only that they're deep enough that at least one person can always be off at any given time, aside from the obvious exceptions.  No one should be working or traveling hundreds of days in a row.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
darkknightkryta said:

I disagree about WWE having a large roster.  ALL of their current problems is that their star power is to low, which is partly their roster size.  I mean, it's Wyatts, Brock Lesnar, Ambrose, Rollins, Orton, Jericho, Owens, Whatever Shaemus calls his group, New Day, Kallisto, Dudleys, and a few others.  That's not exactly a large roster, definately not large enough to create a rotation.  THOUGH, if they properly utilized their NXT talent and properly pushed people, then they would.  That's WWE's fault.  About the house shows, I actually had this discussion with my friends.  WWE makes a lot of money off of house shows.  It's oddly enough, their bread and butter (Next to merchandising).  Like, I felt they should have gotten rid of house shows, but my friend's counter was that they make too much money off of them.

The roster is only strained at the top because of the abnormal amount of injuries.  Even then, there are still guys being left off a three hour RAW every week.  When Cena returns, even more are going to be left off, as he typically eats up 20+ minutes.  Pretty much the same is true for Rollins, though I'm not sure about Orton.  They just aren't able to do stuff with all these people.  

Adam Rose  AJ Styles  Alberto Del Rio  Alicia Fox  Becky Lynch  Big E  Big Show  Bo Dallas  Braun Strowman  Bray Wyatt  Brie Bella  Brock Lesnar  Bubba Ray Dudley  Cameron  Cesaro  Charlotte  Chris Jericho  Curtis Axel  D-Von Dudley  Damien Sandow  Darren Young  Dean Ambrose  Diego  Dolph Ziggler  Erick Rowan  Fandango  Fernando  Goldust  Heath Slater  Jack Swagger  Jey Uso  Jimmy Uso  John Cena  Kalisto  Kane  Kevin Owens  King Barrett  Kofi Kingston  Konnor  Lana  Luke Harper  Mark Henry  Naomi  Natalya  Neville  Nikki Bella  Paige  R-Truth  Randy Orton  Roman Reigns  Rusev  Ryback  Sasha Banks  Seth Rollins  Sheamus  Sin Cara  Stardust  Summer Rae  Tamina  The Miz  Titus O'Neil  Triple H  Tyler Breeze  Viktor  Xavier Woods  Zack Ryder

From the WWE website.  I edited out the non-wrestlers and people who probably won't be back in the near future, like Alex Riley, Tyson Kidd, and Emma.  Sami Zayn should be added soon.  Bayley and Enzo/Cass as well.  Joe could be called up tomorrow and he would fit right in.  Nakamura is on deck.  Anderson/Gallows will be there soon.  Balor is ready.

So many guys in holding patterns and place-holder groups.  Harper, Sandow, Fandango, Breeze, Cesaro, Barrett, Rusev, Neville, Natalya, Paige, and Viktor/Konnor should all be used better than they are and it's only going to get tougher.

As far as a rotation, I'm not talking about guys getting half the year off or anything, only that they're deep enough that at least one person can always be off at any given time, aside from the obvious exceptions.  No one should be working or traveling hundreds of days in a row.

That's why I added that part about them not utilizing the roster properly.  :P

Shadow1980 said:
Ending the brand extension was probably a bad idea. At the very least, Smackdown should be used to elevate middle- and low-card guys instead of just being a second, shorter Raw. If they're going to have this many guys, they need more TV time instead of just languishing in the back or getting tossed in throwaway matches that mean nothing. I remember some years ago Smackdown used to be better than Raw for a good long time.

While they probably won't go back to a brand split, they really should stop having the same matches on both shows.  I don't see the purpose in that, especially when they often end up doing it again at a PPV.

I'd love to see Smackdown feature the guys who might not get much exposure on RAW.  Make it a super competitive environment for your mid-carders, with different stories being told on a continuous basis.  Even if you use someone over like the New Day on both shows, have them square off against different teams.  The could revive Smackdown again and make it a more wrestling focused program.

From what they've said before, though, they want to "tell the same stories across all platforms", so that's probably out.  Could be that they don't want a situation where Smackdown is better.

Maybe the new Cruiserweight Cup will turn into something.

Shadow1980 said:
Ending the brand extension was probably a bad idea. At the very least, Smackdown should be used to elevate middle- and low-card guys instead of just being a second, shorter Raw. If they're going to have this many guys, they need more TV time instead of just languishing in the back or getting tossed in throwaway matches that mean nothing. I remember some years ago Smackdown used to be better than Raw for a good long time.

Back and when Lesnar vs Angle was the big draw, Jamie Noble and Nidia, Matt Hardy V2, Stephanie vs Vince, etc. Those were great times!  Seems like a lifetime ago. :(

Looks like Neville fractured some bones in his leg/ankle.

Jeez, what a year.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Looks like Neville fractured some bones in his leg/ankle.

Jeez, what a year.

I think a ref got injured too...

darkknightkryta said:

Yeah, he got a bunch of stitches.  You could tell when HHH threw that box that the ref was in a lot of pain.  

Just looked it up, 13 stitches.  Ouch.

BasilZero said:

We are officially in the Injury Era of Wrestling or at least in WWE.

You never hear news of injuries about anywhere else though.

The funny thing is, WWE has some of the softest matches in all of wrestling, though they have by far the most grueling schedule with the least time off.  Kind of makes you wonder.  Of course, some of the injuries, like with Neville, are freak acidents, but I can't help but wonder if there is a correlation elsewhere with people being tired or stressed.

It's an interesting difference.  The guys in the indies work super hard while they're in the ring but they also get to set their own schedules and take days off if they're feeling burned out.  Guys in touring promotions like New Japan work super hard in the ring but the schedule is nothing compared to the WWE.  The Japanese tours often protect their top stars in 6-man tag matches during house shows and save them for the PPVs.

It's well known in sports that tired athletes are more prone to injury.  I'd love to see the WWE commision a study on this but it's never going to happen.

pokoko said:
darkknightkryta said:

Yeah, he got a bunch of stitches.  You could tell when HHH threw that box that the ref was in a lot of pain.  

Just looked it up, 13 stitches.  Ouch.

BasilZero said:

We are officially in the Injury Era of Wrestling or at least in WWE.

You never hear news of injuries about anywhere else though.

The funny thing is, WWE has some of the softest matches in all of wrestling, though they have by far the most grueling schedule with the least time off.  Kind of makes you wonder.  Of course, some of the injuries, like with Neville, are freak acidents, but I can't help but wonder if there is a correlation elsewhere with people being tired or stressed.

It's an interesting difference.  The guys in the indies work super hard while they're in the ring but they also get to set their own schedules and take days off if they're feeling burned out.  Guys in touring promotions like New Japan work super hard in the ring but the schedule is nothing compared to the WWE.  The Japanese tours often protect their top stars in 6-man tag matches during house shows and save them for the PPVs.

It's well known in sports that tired athletes are more prone to injury.  I'd love to see the WWE commision a study on this but it's never going to happen.

Not as long as Vince McMahon is alive...

How did Hogan's sex tape cause 110 million dollars in damages?

Btw does somebody own WWE 2K16?
I was thinking to buy this game so it would be nice if somebody gave me a little impression of it. And an important thing I want to know is if it plays like the Smackdown vs Raw series. ^^