By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

BasilZero said:
darkknightkryta said:

So Undertaker was heel against the Wyatts at Survivor Series?  :P

You can thank WWE's genius writers for that.

I didn't watch Survivor Series, that seriously happened?  O_O

Around the Network

I think I might like Steve Austin now more than when he was a wrestler.  The guy just absolutely gets it when it comes to understanding the product.

“Here we are now and I mean just quite frankly, it is what it is. [The Wyatt Family] don’t mean what they should to [WWE]. And Bray Wyatt, being the leader of this faction, is taking a huge hit. And that’s a travesty of booking right there because, again, these are some very talented guys within The Wyatt Family structure.”

Read more at http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/679785-steve-austin-calls-the-wyatt-family-a-travesty-of-booking-in-wwe-first-ever-leap-year-raw-tonight-when-will-be-the-next#BJtl1wosDGq2i8FU.99

It's just ridiculous how the WWE works to devalue their own best puzzle pieces.  The Wyatts not just could have been more meaningful, they should have been more meaningful.  They recently lost to a team of thrown together talent.  What good does that do for the overall product and for the future?  Why does Big Show need a win?  Why does Kane need a win?  Why does Ryback need to be on my TV screen?  It's like they're actively working to make their own show less impactful.

It's like, if my cat was feuding with the Wyatt family, he wouldn't be very stressed about it.  Sure, he might get pinned in the first match and take Bray's finisher after but so what?  They'd kidnap him and give him a bath and a nice grooming over before they let him go, then he'd beat them in the final PPV of the rivalry.  They might as well give him the Feud Winner Points (FWP) from the start.

"Travesty" is a good word for it.

BasilZero said:

Read that earlier and agree with him.

I'm not familiar with Steve Austin when he was in WWF mainly because I watched WCW and not WWF but I did see his matches/promos and stuff from youtube.

But ya he's right on point on a lot of stuff.

WCW was my prefered promotion, as well.  The WCW mid-card crushed the WWF.  However, I did always watch the WWF overrun, which is usually when Stone Cold came out, anyway, and the WWF main event was often better than WCW's last match, so I switched back and forth a lot.  That being said, there were several guys I liked more than Stone Cold.

BasilZero said:

Ambrose double duty at WM!?

After getting beaten up by Lesnar?  Jeez, that would be a lot to put on someone.  You probably know by now but Triple H is going to beat fight Ambrose at a Network Special.

I seriously have no idea what they're planning.  What if Ambrose does end up winning and has to do a three-way with HHH and Roman at WM after fighting Lesnar?  They could still swerve us if they want.

Some interesting happenings in the world of profession wrestling lately.

MotorCity MachineGuns vs. the Young Bucks at the ROH Wrestlemania weekend show.

Will Osprey joining New Japan.  The guy has the potential to be a star.  Hope he's in the WWE cruiserweight cup.

Cena not in a Wrestlemania match.  Can't say that bothers me much.

Around the Network

I'm sure a lot of people have seen this already, but this is an interview with RVD talking about who he would have liked to punch back in the day.  Some good stories but the one that stand out to me is RVD talking about how close he was to punching Vince McMahon.  That's not a surprise in itself but what he's talking about, with wrestlers being "expected" to give up their vacations to go on a "voluntary" tour in the Middle East to entertain the troops is ridiculous and I don't blame him one bit.  He was burned out from travel, was looking forward to his vacation, and the WWE sets it up so the time comes out of the wrestler's days off instead of their schedule?  These guys need a union.

pokoko said:

I'm sure a lot of people have seen this already, but this is an interview with RVD talking about who he would have liked to punch back in the day.  Some good stories but the one that stand out to me is RVD talking about how close he was to punching Vince McMahon.  That's not a surprise in itself but what he's talking about, with wrestlers being "expected" to give up their vacations to go on a "voluntary" tour in the Middle East to entertain the troops is ridiculous and I don't blame him one bit.  He was burned out from travel, was looking forward to his vacation, and the WWE sets it up so the time comes out of the wrestler's days off instead of their schedule?  These guys need a union.

Oh yeah, on the business end, WWE's a piece of shit.  The reason these injuries are happening is because they don't have an off period. I can honestly say, they'd make more money if they give their wrestlers June/July off and then come back for Summer Slam.  I mean, there's a reason t.v. shows are produced in seasons.  This should be no different for WWE.  They don't even have to give the wrestlers the full two months.  They can still use them for appearances, conventions, etc.  But that way they can the wrestlers can recoop, get exams done on nagging pains.  But hey, work your roster thin and have everyone injured for Wrestlemania.

darkknightkryta said:

Oh yeah, on the business end, WWE's a piece of shit.  The reason these injuries are happening is because they don't have an off period. I can honestly say, they'd make more money if they give their wrestlers June/July off and then come back for Summer Slam.  I mean, there's a reason t.v. shows are produced in seasons.  This should be no different for WWE.  They don't even have to give the wrestlers the full two months.  They can still use them for appearances, conventions, etc.  But that way they can the wrestlers can recoop, get exams done on nagging pains.  But hey, work your roster thin and have everyone injured for Wrestlemania.

They have more than enough people on the roster where they could rotate and they don't have to run house shows every week of the year.  New Japan has house show "tours" centered around each major PPV, with wrestlers getting time off in between.  I'm pretty sure the schedule is why so many Divas have ended up quiting the WWE, as well.

BasilZero said:
WWE Roadblock was nothing but a glorified house show.

Its a shame what they did with the Wyatts.

I liked it, for the most part.  Enzo & Cass match was awesome, New Day match was entertaining, and the Diva's match was solid.  Sami Zayn vs. Stardust was a cold match with no meaning so the crowd didn't care.

Triple H vs. Ambrose was really good and a lot of fun.  Ambrose looked strong while Triple H looked lucky to escape with his title.  He also sold the hell out of the beating he took from Ambrose.  I never for one moment expected a title change on a network special so I had no sense of disappointment at all.  Ambrose lost the match but he really went over and totally looked main event level.

Lesnar match was trash, however.  A) What is the point of making Bray look like a scared little girl?  B) Harper is great in the ring and should have been a credible opponent for Lesnar instead of a squash victim.  They should be fucking BUILDING guys like Harper up, not tearing them down.  C) If modern Lesnar is going to do nothing but Germans then I'm ready for him to take his ball and go home.  It's boring.  I'm not sure why they have to devalue of the current roster against him so much, either.  Use him to make guys like Harper look great even when he beats them.  Basically, they've made it so that only 3-ways matches with Lesnar are interesting at all.

Roadblock was a solid filler show. Nothing more imo.

According to rumors Kalisto will face Ryback for the United States Championship and Kevin Owens has to retain his Intercontinental Championship in a 6-man ladder at Wrestlemania 32. Kalisto vs Ryback could be really interesting imo but I would rather have the United States Championship match to be the 6-man ladder match than the Intercontinental Championship match. Kevin Owens should fight AJ Styles for the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania 32. Would be a more interesting match than Jericho vs Styles IV which looks like to be the current plan for Wrestlemania 32. Dolph Ziggler vs Alberto Del Rio vs Kalisto vs Neville vs The Miz vs Sin Cara should be the 6-man ladder match for the United States Championship. Kalisto should retain his title with the help of Sin Cara at Wrestlemania 32 and at the next night on Raw Sin Cara is angry because he thinks Kalisto exlpoited him at Wrestlemania 32. This would set up a feud between both and a mask vs mask match between both at Extreme Rules. Splitting up the Lucha Dragons would be a very good idea imo, Sin Cara is only holding Kalisto back and a load for Kalisto. They NEED to split up if WWE wants to push Kalisto.

pokoko said:
darkknightkryta said:

They have more than enough people on the roster where they could rotate and they don't have to run house shows every week of the year.  New Japan has house show "tours" centered around each major PPV, with wrestlers getting time off in between.  I'm pretty sure the schedule is why so many Divas have ended up quiting the WWE, as well.

I disagree about WWE having a large roster.  ALL of their current problems is that their star power is to low, which is partly their roster size.  I mean, it's Wyatts, Brock Lesnar, Ambrose, Rollins, Orton, Jericho, Owens, Whatever Shaemus calls his group, New Day, Kallisto, Dudleys, and a few others.  That's not exactly a large roster, definately not large enough to create a rotation.  THOUGH, if they properly utilized their NXT talent and properly pushed people, then they would.  That's WWE's fault.  About the house shows, I actually had this discussion with my friends.  WWE makes a lot of money off of house shows.  It's oddly enough, their bread and butter (Next to merchandising).  Like, I felt they should have gotten rid of house shows, but my friend's counter was that they make too much money off of them.