By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Two Heavy Rain gamepla videos contains full of Awesomness

^For this game.. YES!

Around the Network
binary solo said:
This is wrong, this is all frikkin' wrong. Shelby stole the inhaler! WTF? And just after the guy says he thinks there are good people in this place. The nerve of some people, stealing from a humble shopkeeper who's son has recently been murdered.

I bet it was all a setup, I thought the "armed robber" (if it was even a real gun) gave up a little too easily. Their conversation seemed a little rehearsed to me. Shelby never shows any ID when he comes in. They've got themselves a free inhaler and now they're gonna sell it on the black market. You know the drug in inhalers is a performance enhancing drug, right? Desperate atheletes will pay a fortune for one inhaler they can drain on game day. And a stolen inhaler is perfect because it's untraceable. Talk about cunning.

Can you trust anyone in this game?

He did take it, didn't he?

waron said:
mibuokami said:
waron said:
mibuokami said:
Heavy Rain marks the rebirth of the adventure gameinteractive movie genre into the HD generation, and by God it is something magical!

fixed, cause that's not an adventure game.

An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story that is driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenges such as combat.

by wiki.

Sooo Heavy Rain isn't interactive? The choice you make don't effect the outcome of the story, you can't pick up any object in the game(no you can't - only those that are part of preprogramed QTEs)? you don't solve any puzzle(there wasn't any puzzle so far) to progress through the game? You can't explore the house during the taxidermist demo(you really call that exploration what was shown so far?)?

Oh wait you CAN do all of that:

Interactivity - Decision you make effect the outcome of the story and some object can be picked up or used, part of the environment can also be used.

Exploration - You can explore a given area within a scenario (just like those old adventure game when you solve the puzzle on one map to progess through the next) just because the walked button isn't map to a analogue stick doesn't mean you can't walk

Puzzle Solving - Shit man! Entire freakin end game of the taxidermist scenario is a puzzle with your life at stack, choose the wrong time to move and *bam* you're dead, just because Heavy Rain doesn't give you the luxury to sit back and think for 30 minute doesn't mean its not a puzzle. It's even evolutionary as its a puzzle that requires both reflect and thoughts.

Stop lying to yourself, this is an adventure game in the truest sense of the word.

face the facts - Heavy Rain is AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE. it's a series of QTE scenes without exploration and without puzzles - that's not an adventure game! exploration need place to explore and solving puzzles need puzzles in the first place - this game have none of those. it's a series of 60 10-15 minutes QTE scenes in places you visit once and never go back to unless your character will live long enough to actually have a preprogramed by developer scene in that place - you can't go out of that small place, you can't go to another place until you either die or finish all of the QTEs there and you can't go back on your own. just face the facts already - it's early 90' interactive movie in actual 3d and not real life actors. if Heavy Rain is an adventure game to you than House of the Dead is FPS.

Please just stop... have you even seen any of the friggin demo up to this point? Did you not seen Madeline explore the house in the texidermist demo?

Lets explore the fact.... do you acknowledge that the taxidermist scene has exploration - madeline explore the house - YOU ARE GUIDING HERE, there is a fucking walk button ffs! True? exploration check

Do you acknowledge that there is interactivety? Objective to pickup, items to obtain, pictures to take... these are all object? Decisions to make that effect the story, negotiate with the man in the drug store, overpower him... all these are not interactivity?

Puzzle solving, you sneak into the taxidermist office and explore to find clues (puzzles) over the murder, similiarly you do the same in the junk yard scene.

Wait do you even know what an adventure game is??? Look up Monkey Island, look up the last express, look up any visual novel! They're all class as adventure game and trust me man, there is a lot less choices to make is a fucken visual novel.

In short you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

CGI-Quality said:
KylieDog said:
I got to stop watching these, everytime I do I end up cursing the fact it isn't out for ages.

Early 2010 is ages.....? O_o

to me it is, i can't wait for this (and FFXIII) to release then you guys wont see my random threads anymore cause im enjoying the hell out of them xD

This game looks so amazing.

Around the Network

It indeed is a good looking interactive movie. It really took a step up in grafix from the weak looking junk-yard level.

If this game is 8 hours on the first play through, then I think it's worth it. Maybe not for $60 but if one could get it for $40. It's like watching a very long movie, and hopefully a good one.

@waron: Of course it's an adventure game.

Though it's probably the most realistic looking game I've ever seen and though as an avid adventure fan I would definitely buy it day 1 (if I had a PS3), I'm still a bit disappointed, but for a complete different reason than those who generally don't really like the classic adventure genre (and seem to be interested in HR just because of the graphics) or those who consider HR as an expensive, short interactive movie.

^^
glad im not one of them, these Point and Click or Adventure games are just amazing. i don't really care about graphics.
i got sold when they mentioned that the story continues when a character dies, i think thats very unique in this game.

I accctually am sort of interested, never really have been but seeing those trailers makes me acctually want to play that.

The GAME looks great. I was gonna rent it but i think this game deserves a buy.