By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: "Nintendo is screwed if they keep embracing...

User generated content is fine as long as it's something that's used to lengthen the replayability to a game. I am not a fan of it at all when it makes up the majority of the game. Someone mentioned Blast Works earlier and I think that this is a perfect example of what I dislike about how user generated content is being used. There is not much of an actual game at all and the level editor is basically the meat and potatoes of the entire package. It's a shame because the campaign is fantastic and if more of it existed, Blast Works would be a top rate shooter. It is worth the price that you can find it now though.

Also, I find user generated content to be a bit of a cop out by companies and it could be troublesome to gaming in the future.  It's kind of like reality television in the way that it can be used to cut jobs.  The way that reality television cuts jobs by not needing to pay writers or directors, games with user generated content can get away with having less programmers, artists, etc.  Furthermore, this can make for a lot more "amateur" games.  In other words, leave it to the pros. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Does anyone have an actual link to the article?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/the-source-of-anti-content/

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

mike_intellivision said:
noname2200 said:

ph4nt said:
I'm not entirely sure what his point is.

Nintendo shouldn't embrace user created content? They don't, I can't think of one Nintendo game that has user generated content other than something simple like the stage editor from Smash Bros.

Or is he saying Nintendo doesn't pack enough into their games? In which case most Nintendo games are 20+ hours long while your average HD game is 5-6 hours.

You echo my thoughts. Wii Music had user-generated content. Mario Paint back in the day was the same. Wario Ware DIY is coming soon. I'm sure there are a few others that I can't think of right now throughout the decades that also relied on it. But they are few and far between. Again, I'll have to read the article to see if he's said something new, but I suspect he's putting the blame almost exclusively on Wii Music, as it DID kill the system's momentum (according to no less an authority than Iwata).

If I recall correctly, both Iwata and Malestrom cited the "failure" of Animal Crossing City Folk and Wii Music for the Wii's current relative malaise.

It is ironic that the experimental game -- Wii Music -- is made the "whipping boy" because of its approach of having the user generate content and then decide if he/she is satisfied with the result.   Meanwhile, the slightly better selling sequel to a GC title gets little criticism, even though its content is roughly the same of the previous GC and DS versions.  It had almost no content.

Mike from Morgantown

Actually, Malestrom makes a brief comment on Animal Crossing in his diatribe. 

"But imagine their disapointment with Animal Crossing Wii which could have been so much more than a Gamecube Plus version."

But he goes off on Nintendo like every game it has produced lately has been content-devoid, when he only has four or five examples, including free DS Ware offerings and a title he cannot remember.

Nintendo's "slide" has as much to do with external events (the economy has stalled sales for all systems) as it does its own releases.  Also, I still contend that Nintendo intentionally left the door open last holiday season for third parties, only to see them not rush through it. 

Still, only Nintendo can have a game (Wii Music) sell 2.5M copies and bought by 5% of its owners considered a "failure." 

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:

"But imagine their disapointment with Animal Crossing Wii which could have been so much more than a Gamecube Plus version."

But he goes off on Nintendo like every game it has produced lately has been content-devoid, when he only has four or five examples, including free DS Ware offerings and a title he cannot remember.

Nintendo's "slide" has as much to do with external events (the economy has stalled sales for all systems) as it does its own releases.  Also, I still contend that Nintendo intentionally left the door open last holiday season for third parties, only to see them not rush through it. 

Still, only Nintendo can have a game (Wii Music) sell 2.5M copies and bought by 5% of its owners considered a "failure." 

Mike from Morgantown

He actually stated a better case today.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/email-youre-wrong-about-girls-mode/

It's a long read, of course, but he's quoting Iwata's recent investor conference speech, which lends the idea more credence. I'm still not completely convinced either, mind you...

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

He actually stated a better case today.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/email-youre-wrong-about-girls-mode/

It's a long read, of course, but he's quoting Iwata's recent investor conference speech, which lends the idea more credence. I'm still not completely convinced either, mind you...

Me thinks that Malstrom is adding 1+1 and getting 5 -- when at the most he should be getting 3.

It sounds like Iwata is talking about a few titles and editors with level sharing.   It does not sound like the end of gaming (as in pay us $50 to write your own Mario adventure).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV