By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why You should buy Phat, NOT Slim

Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. The phat PS3 looks cooler.

2. You can pretend you're old school

3. We don't know if the slim will be as ultra dependable as the phat. It hasn't been proven reliable.

4. All the cool mods/stickers are for the phat.

5. The phat is available right now, for the same price as the slim.

6. The phat is at the pinnacle of the phat PS3 technology.

7. The slim is just starting out, and might be untrustworthy, with some bugs that need ironing out.

8. The slim has nothing better than the phat, besides a few extra GBs of space on a slow HD you will replace anyway....besides energy efficiency, which  as we all know, is hippie crap.

9. The PS3 phat is the 2nd best high end BR player according to CNet. The slim didn't even chart, heh. I'll accept no excuses.

10. Sony is trying to clear out the potentially superior phats, so you'll be helping out Sony by buying one, and also, you won't be a fairweather Johnson. Win/Win.

So really, after I decided to buy this today, I thought that the phat was just the right choice for me.

WHat do u mean, don tu have a PS3 alrdy?

....no, how did you get that?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
880user088 said:
good thing that sony didn't cancel the phat one

The old models are now out of production. I thought that was understood.

The 80GB models were estimated to cost $448.73 to manufacture by iSupply back in early 2009. General consensus was that SCE was losing about 10% on each unit sold, which coincides roughly.

SCE reports the slim production costs approximately 70% less than the original manufacturing price which has been generally estimated to be around $840 by most sources (roundabout figures). I've seen estimates as low as $690.23 (iSupply). And as high as over $1,200 (grossly inflated guesstimation).

Based on those estimates, the slim could cost anywhere between $252 and $207.07 to manufacture. Only the SCE accountants know for sure; their Q4 financial reports should provide a decent indicator of how much they're actually losing (or not) on each unit sold.

Point being, they're not selling a $448.73 unit at the same $299 retail price as a $207.07 - $252 unit.

Old units last for as long as existing stock remains and production ceased weeks, if not months ago.

So that means this is your last chance to own a more expensive phat. Ever.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. The phat PS3 looks cooler.

2. You can pretend you're old school

3. We don't know if the slim will be as ultra dependable as the phat. It hasn't been proven reliable.

4. All the cool mods/stickers are for the phat.

5. The phat is available right now, for the same price as the slim.

6. The phat is at the pinnacle of the phat PS3 technology.

7. The slim is just starting out, and might be untrustworthy, with some bugs that need ironing out.

8. The slim has nothing better than the phat, besides a few extra GBs of space on a slow HD you will replace anyway....besides energy efficiency, which  as we all know, is hippie crap.

9. The PS3 phat is the 2nd best high end BR player according to CNet. The slim didn't even chart, heh. I'll accept no excuses.

10. Sony is trying to clear out the potentially superior phats, so you'll be helping out Sony by buying one, and also, you won't be a fairweather Johnson. Win/Win.

So really, after I decided to buy this today, I thought that the phat was just the right choice for me.

WHat do u mean, don tu have a PS3 alrdy?

....no, how did you get that?

But you do own a PS3. You always use that as a licence to more easily criticise the PS3.

Can someone confirm this, Zelfoldor has been a PS3 owner for a long time, yes?

(if i didnt already have a ps3)

i'd buy the phat simply because of it looking much better.

I like Coca-cola Classic. I didn't like "New Coke".

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I like Coca-cola Classic. I didn't like "New Coke".

But I prefer Coke Zero even more. Black can, all the flava none of the corn syrup.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
greenmedic88 said:
880user088 said:
good thing that sony didn't cancel the phat one

The old models are now out of production. I thought that was understood.

The 80GB models were estimated to cost $448.73 to manufacture by iSupply back in early 2009. General consensus was that SCE was losing about 10% on each unit sold, which coincides roughly.

SCE reports the slim production costs approximately 70% less than the original manufacturing price which has been generally estimated to be around $840 by most sources (roundabout figures). I've seen estimates as low as $690.23 (iSupply). And as high as over $1,200 (grossly inflated guesstimation).

Based on those estimates, the slim could cost anywhere between $252 and $207.07 to manufacture. Only the SCE accountants know for sure; their Q4 financial reports should provide a decent indicator of how much they're actually losing (or not) on each unit sold.

Point being, they're not selling a $448.73 unit at the same $299 retail price as a $207.07 - $252 unit.

Old units last for as long as existing stock remains and production ceased weeks, if not months ago.

So that means this is your last chance to own a more expensive phat. Ever.

That last chance is diminishing rapidly if early consumer response to the $299 price is any indicator.

While it seems unlikely, I'm wondering if SCE timed the production cut off for the old model well enough to clear out the majority of its stock prior to the Slim debut (two weeks inventory? sounds almost too tight/precise).

All I know is the only model PS3 most seem to be able to find at retail is the $399 Uncharted SKU.

Those who were planning on waiting for deeper inventory fire sales on 80GB SKUs may end up missing the boat.

would you rather have a 500 pound baby or 80 pound baby

If I did'nt have a PS3 I would have gone for the slim because:

1. Its lighter

2. Its smaller

3. Less fan noise

4. 120 GB HD

5. It will have the 45 nm cell which reduces lag and results in smoother gameplay.

7 lbs beats the 11 lbs of the original 60GB SKU. The 40GB SKU weighs about 9lbs.

I measured it at 11.2 lbs for the 60GB and 9.4 lbs for the 40GB on a scale that's accurate to about .2 lbs.

Wouldn't make a huge difference for travel unless you were carrying it on your back (I have), but it is still more "portable" thanks to the volume reduction.