By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why You should buy Phat, NOT Slim

sabby_e17 said:
d21lewis said:
I don't get the people complaining about the PS3's loud fan. Mine is completely silent 90% of the time.

Mine is quite loud for some reason.

Either it's not ventilated well enough, or your heat sinks are getting clogged up with dust. Either will lead to reduced airflow, higher temps, lower cooling efficiency higher fan RPMs and ultimately quicker hardware failure.

My 60GB unit is still much quieter than my Zephyr Xbox 360 (both fan and drive noise).

Try cleaining it out with a vacuume or a can of compressed air.

Around the Network

60GB SKUs run a bit closer to $400. Maybe a bit more if it's a refurbished unit straight from SCE.

greenmedic88 said:
60GB SKUs run a bit closer to $400. Maybe a bit more if it's a refurbished unit straight from SCE.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation-3-60-GB-BC-Fresh-from-Sony-with-game_W0QQitemZ220468212284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item3354edf23c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That's awesome.

I have a 60GB BC SKU refurb from Sony. I don't see anyone paying me $740 for it either (that's the seller's asking price, not the current bid price).

Shop smarter Tex.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=ps3+60GB

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ps3+60GB+refurbished&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games&_odkw=ps3+60GB&_osacat=0

Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. The phat PS3 looks cooler.

2. You can pretend you're old school

3. We don't know if the slim will be as ultra dependable as the phat. It hasn't been proven reliable.

4. All the cool mods/stickers are for the phat.

5. The phat is available right now, for the same price as the slim.

6. The phat is at the pinnacle of the phat PS3 technology.

7. The slim is just starting out, and might be untrustworthy, with some bugs that need ironing out.

8. The slim has nothing better than the phat, besides a few extra GBs of space on a slow HD you will replace anyway....besides energy efficiency, which  as we all know, is hippie crap.

9. The PS3 phat is the 2nd best high end BR player according to CNet. The slim didn't even chart, heh. I'll accept no excuses.

10. Sony is trying to clear out the potentially superior phats, so you'll be helping out Sony by buying one, and also, you won't be a fairweather Johnson. Win/Win.

So really, after I decided to buy this today, I thought that the phat was just the right choice for me.

WHat do u mean, don tu have a PS3 alrdy?

....no, how did you get that?

But you do own a PS3. You always use that as a licence to more easily criticise the PS3.

Can someone confirm this, Zelfoldor has been a PS3 owner for a long time, yes?

Playstation account: Zenfoldor

Give me 2 days and I'll show you 2 stacked on top of each other.

Now can we please stop this silly shit please?

The slim isn't proven dependable, and sony has had bugs at the launch of every console they've ever released.

The rest of my points are just for shits and giggles, obviously, but any consumer concerned about protecting their investment wouldn't buy a goddamn slim until we found out they didn't blow up and shit themselves inside of a week.

Whatever though. Keep telling yourselves what you want to hear. Keep hoping. As for myself, I don't hope, I "know." I know what I'm buying at least, and you might not.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

But this is not a new console Zen, it's the same console, just slimmer.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

I'm not saying it WILL have problems, but the last two redesigns by Sony, the PS2 slim, and the PSP slim had overheating, and dead pixil problems in the first batches of those released, to the point where most of them were actually returned.

I hope it doesn't have problems, but with the lack of any real upgrade in my eyes, I just don't see the point in chancing it.

In fact, in my personal opinion, I think the PS3 slim is just a normal PS3 built by parts from the lowest bidders(cheapest shit they could find), and probably was never meant to be as good as the phat. That's why it looks so shoddy, and that's why it's affordable.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:

I'm not saying it WILL have problems, but the last two redesigns by Sony, the PS2 slim, and the PSP slim had overheating, and dead pixil problems in the first batches of those released, to the point where most of them were actually returned.

I hope it doesn't have problems, but with the lack of any real upgrade in my eyes, I just don't see the point in chancing it.

In fact, in my personal opinion, I think the PS3 slim is just a normal PS3 built by parts from the lowest bidders(cheapest shit they could find), and probably was never meant to be as good as the phat. That's why it looks so shoddy, and that's why it's affordable.

Cool, let's see if it has a 50% fail rate.  Or way less.

I agree with this Zen. If I didn't have Ps3 already and I was waiting for a price-cut I'd get the Phat. Nothing more annoying than a console that dies...

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:

Cool, let's see if it has a 50% fail rate.  Or way less.

Just because it doesn't fail, doesn't mean it's not shitty, or inferior. See dead pixils, slower loading times, overheating problems, dres, and all the other stuff we've seen from Sony launch consoles in the past.

WTF, I am NOT comparing this to the 360. I'm just stating what anyone who gave half a seconds unbiased thought to the matter would already know. I'm sorry if my belief doesn't fit in with the lie you've formed around Sony in your head.

Their shit, believe it or not, doesn't start perfect. Gaming consoles evolve over a generation. The slim might as well be a whole new system, and you shouldn't buy it unless you're a gambler. It's NOT a safe purchase. It is unproven. We don't know how technically sound or reliable it is, and claiming otherwise is nothing short of a complete and utter lie. Your reasonings as to what it "SHOULD" be aren't what it "WILL" be and until we know what it "WILL" be, I wouldn't shell out 300 dollars on it, when there is a proven, and soon to be rare reliable alternative already available in the phat, which isn't pieced together as cheaply as freakin' possible.

Enjoy the slim. I hope it burns the hell up, honestly, not so I'll be proven right. Truth is, I'm already right. The slim might not have bugs, but launch consoles usually do, and nothing that happens in this case can change that shit. I hope it burns the hell up so that some of you will figure that out, and not go buying crap just because it's new. Early adopters get screwed more than any consumers in human history. Learn that, the easy way or the hard way.

Learn it:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-120-GB/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&s=aps&qid=1250910310&sr=8-1

NO NO, NO NO NO.