By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why You should buy Phat, NOT Slim

I'm with Zen on this. Logically it makes sense to go out and buy one of those end of line 80gig Phats. What Sony have figured out is that a certain % of the market is logical and will do just that, hence they have dumped the price on the Phat a week or 2 prior to the Slim coming out at the same price. The logic types will get that phat and have a grande ol' time with it. Sony have tried to time the release of the Slim after the price cut to optimise sales of the phat to the logic driven buyers. The vast majority of the market are not driven by logic but impulse and emotion, and they will hold off for the Slim, but their level of anticipation will only last so long, so Sony had to make sure they got the timing right for them too.

2 things the PS3 slim has over it's older cousin the PS2 slim: PS2 slim was not as good a DVD movie player as it's Phat brother. PS3 Slim should be just as good a movie machine as the Phat. It seems the PS3 slim won't have a power brick, at least I couldn't spot one of those monstrosities on the unboxing vids/slideshows. Anyone want to correct me on this?

I may well get a slim in a couple of years, because I'll probably give my phat to my nephew as a present, and then pick up a Slim when it's dropped in price a wee bit further.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

good thing that sony didn't cancel the phat one

Is this a sarcastic post aimed at my thread?

Anyway, I like the look of the old PS3, but the only real benefit would be AFTER the slim has launched and they start selling it for >$300, like $250, or even $200 to get rid of stock. THAT would be the best deal. The only real technological superiority the Phat has to the slim is the ability to use alternative OS's, that is has nice touch-sensitive buttons (My bro REALLY likes those), and that it is glossier and shinier (I like that but my brother hates it 'cuz it get fingerprints all over it). If I could get a Phat for $250 and I wanted one (Didn't have one already), I'd totally go for it.

disolitude said:
All I will say that craigslist and other used PS3 sources will be selling the phats very cheap come september. I will be looking for sub 200 used phat then...hopefully a 60 GB.

I still can't believe they don't have BC with PS2 even with the slim.

It's sad they didn't but it's obvious why. BC in PS3 will kill off the ps2 which is a profit generator.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I dare anyone to try and say that buying a slim is a smarter and safer choice than buying a phat, with them justifying their reasoning.

You can't.

It's factually wrong.

The slim is factually unproven.

In all likelyhood, the first shipment will have hardware bugs. They always do. Every current gen console did, to some extent.

When you buy this, you don't know what you're buying. You ONLY know that it's not any better than a PS3 phat, because Sony has went out of their way to tell us that. We've seen the spec sheet.

You WILL be beta testing this thing.

Buy a phat.

I might get one. Not initially anyways, but its easy to transport. I often go on a 6 hour trip and having the slim is a big improvement as it leaves more space for clothings and other stuff you need when you are somewhere besides home. It's also a much easier thing to just grab and bring to your mates place.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Other than unproven reliability and a person's opinion on which one they think looks nicer, you reasons don't really hold much weight IMO.

The main point is unproven reliability. :P

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Rick_UK said:
Correct me i im wrong but from what i gathered, the ps3 components have gotten smaller/less over the years, so basically the slim is just the same (reliable) tech in a different, smaller casing, since they dont need the big ps3 casing to house the smaller parts anymore. I agree that the older one looks better, but the slim looks really nice too!

that logic is too simple. There are many unknown factors, such as air flow. The PS2 was very reliable when the ps2slim came out, but the first PS2 slims overheat like a mug.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

L.C.E.C. said:
Is this a sarcastic post aimed at my thread?

Anyway, I like the look of the old PS3, but the only real benefit would be AFTER the slim has launched and they start selling it for >$300, like $250, or even $200 to get rid of stock. THAT would be the best deal. The only real technological superiority the Phat has to the slim is the ability to use alternative OS's, that is has nice touch-sensitive buttons (My bro REALLY likes those), and that it is glossier and shinier (I like that but my brother hates it 'cuz it get fingerprints all over it). If I could get a Phat for $250 and I wanted one (Didn't have one already), I'd totally go for it.

How bout the fact that the new 80gb phats have been completely proven to be very reliable, and the slims haven't.

There are too many factors to be able to know much about the slim just yet. Since we don't know much about it, I wouldn't recommend it. We know everything about the phat, and most of the people posting against me in this thread, LOVE their phat, they just want the slim to be better, when it isn't. Not really. It's not an all around improvement like the PS2 slim was(no more dre, new static disc drive, ect. It's the same hardware, with no upgrades, a bigger HD, and a smaller size. We don't know enough to classify it as dependable or crap, so if you buy one, you roll the dice to a certain extent.

With the phat, you know what you're getting. Excellent, equal product at a great price.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. The phat PS3 looks cooler.

2. You can pretend you're old school

3. We don't know if the slim will be as ultra dependable as the phat. It hasn't been proven reliable.

4. All the cool mods/stickers are for the phat.

5. The phat is available right now, for the same price as the slim.

6. The phat is at the pinnacle of the phat PS3 technology.

7. The slim is just starting out, and might be untrustworthy, with some bugs that need ironing out.

8. The slim has nothing better than the phat, besides a few extra GBs of space on a slow HD you will replace anyway....besides energy efficiency, which  as we all know, is hippie crap.

9. The PS3 phat is the 2nd best high end BR player according to CNet. The slim didn't even chart, heh. I'll accept no excuses.

10. Sony is trying to clear out the potentially superior phats, so you'll be helping out Sony by buying one, and also, you won't be a fairweather Johnson. Win/Win.

So really, after I decided to buy this today, I thought that the phat was just the right choice for me.

WHat do u mean, don tu have a PS3 alrdy?

880user088 said:
good thing that sony didn't cancel the phat one

The old models are now out of production. I thought that was understood.

The 80GB models were estimated to cost $448.73 to manufacture by iSupply back in early 2009. General consensus was that SCE was losing about 10% on each unit sold, which coincides roughly.

SCE reports the slim production costs approximately 70% less than the original manufacturing price which has been generally estimated to be around $840 by most sources (roundabout figures). I've seen estimates as low as $690.23 (iSupply). And as high as over $1,200 (grossly inflated guesstimation).

Based on those estimates, the slim could cost anywhere between $252 and $207.07 to manufacture. Only the SCE accountants know for sure; their Q4 financial reports should provide a decent indicator of how much they're actually losing (or not) on each unit sold.

Point being, they're not selling a $448.73 unit at the same $299 retail price as a $207.07 - $252 unit.

Old units last for as long as existing stock remains and production ceased weeks, if not months ago.