By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Benelux accounts for 63 - 77 % of PS3 sales in "other Europe"

I bet the others section is not correct ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

@ hunter_alien

I thought so too, I was hoping this thread helps either to improve VGchartz' accuracy or rather get more clarity with regard to countries being excluded from tracking (due to whatever reason).

I'm still unclear with regard to what is being tracked accurately, North America seems pretty clear (Mexico, US and Canada), Japan is clear, with regard to "Other World" and "Other Europe" there's a lot of unclarity.

South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Africa, South American countries, smaller European countries, Russia, smaller Asian countries, middle east, etc tracking data still are pretty unclear to me.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I can tell you that the Wii has sold more than 50k in Switzerland; I made a thread about it.

This means that the PS3 probably has sold at least half of that here, and the same goes for Austria which should have more or less the same sales pattern as Switzerland.

I think it isn't impossible that the numbers are right since Switzerland and Austria are the only "rich" countries in the others of others data here on VGChartz, neither Portugal nor the East European countries will be too important for the console sales.

Then again, it could very well be that the PS3 sold more like 80k in Austria and Switzerland combined which would mean that VGChartz data is off in this section or, which is also possible, that Switzerland and Austria are counted in German charts.

However, if the data is off, it is only off by about 50k to 100k which is not too important.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Clearly its because PS3 is undertracked in Spain

South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, South Africa, South American countries, smaller European countries, Russia, smaller Asian countries, middle east, etc tracking data still are pretty unclear to me.

Well lets see...

SK has almost no console gaming market, its all PC. The PS3 sells there worse than the 360 sells in JP

Taiwan, again, very small population who can afford a PS3 and a very small market for one

Indonesia, see above

Sout.... screw it... most of the countries you list are relativly small and when compared to Western Europe, NA and JP, poor. Its not unreasonable to think that those countries have very low PS3 sales.

Not to mention that many of those countries you list have not seen an "official" PS3 release, ie an unsupported country. Any sales in those countries would be import only, relegating sales to a special order or import shop. I know someone who lives in Brazil, and purchasing a PS3 there would have to be via special order and cost well over $1000.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Sieanr, Spain has its own section in the data,so it can't be because it is undertracked.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

if so it's sad place where I live.
I have no intrest what so ever in that over priced console.

I love my wii.

@ sieanr

Taiwan, again, very small population who can afford a PS3 and a very small market for one

Still some clarity would be nice,

From a survey amongst Taiwanese internet surfers (December 28-30, 2006): 34.9% said they own a PS2, 3.6% own a PS3 and 2.5% own a Nintendo Wii. (Source: InsightXplorer)

I know someone who lives in Brazil, and purchasing a PS3 there would have to be via special order and cost well over $1000.

Surely the PS2 and PSP have been launched in Brazil?

Some more clarity would be nice, I think the PS3 sold pretty well in Russia, but is Russia counted as "Other Europe" or Other World?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Mike if you go by internet surveys in almost any country then the PS3 would have sold more than the Wii.

As for Russia, in geographical terms i know that West of the Ural mountains is classed as Europe, and East is classed as Asia (though the majority of the Russian population live in the West)
but again we have no idea whether ioi includes them or which category if he does, why not ask him.

@ TWRoO

Russian population live in the West)
but again we have no idea whether ioi includes them or which category if he does, why not ask him.

I know and I did several times. Without proving us specifics, he did once state they lacked data.

ITWire: "Iberia and France are showing strong revenues, too, while SCEE distributor territories such as Russia and the Middle East are performing above expectations."

PS3 marketing in Russia:

Sony seems to have put more effort in selling the PS3 in "poor" huge Russia, than in "rich" tiny Benelux.

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ nintendo_fanboy

I think it isn't impossible that the numbers are right since Switzerland and Austria are the only "rich" countries in the others of others data here on VGChartz, neither Portugal nor the East European countries will be too important for the console sales.

Portugal represents about 10 milion people, the Benelux about 27 million people.

2007-07-06 new report:

"The latest edition of the Portugese newspaper called "Diario de Noticias' has an article whcich cites the number of consoles sold. Sony has sold 20,000 PS3's in the region, with the total lifetime sales of the PS2 coming in at 750,000. According to Sony themselves, the PS2 and PS3 accounts for 92 percent of the Portugese home console market. The Wii has managed to sell 17,000 units in total, with the article also speculating about a DVD-enabled Wii ready for September."

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=18700

Judging from the PS2 figures, the Playstation brand is stronger in Portugal than in the Benelux. Only the Benelux + Portugal alone, would account up to 94% of reported "Other Europe" PS2 sales, considering that the other countries represent multiple times more people than Portugal and Benelux combined I think it's very unlikely these countries only account for the remaining 6% of sales.

PS3 vs 360 sales