By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why does USA have "In god we trust" on it's money?

Kasz216 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Craan said:
TheRealMafoo said:
I think the reason, is paper money is worthless. In the old days, what you had in your hand had intrinsic value. If you had a 20 dollar coin, the coin had 20 dollars worth of gold in it.

The best way to get a very Christian country to feel safe with paper money that has no intrinsic value, is to say “in god we trust” on it.

Today it’s meaningless. I don’t care either way if it fell off or stayed on the next design.

gold is worthless the only reason it's worth anything is because people say it is.

The real answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

90% of Americans approve of the message.

Odd.

Only like 75% of America are Christians to my knowledge...

and even then i think atheism is under reported.

Depends on how they worded the question I guess.

I am an atheist, and if you asked me if I disapproved of the message, I would say no.

Around the Network
im_sneaky said:
Because most ppl are christian in the united states, and the presidents have been christian, and so the presidents have taken very christian actions to put god on your money.

I think Christ might have something to say about that. Matthew 22:17-21.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

In God We trust isn't exactly an inflammatory statement. If you don't believe in God does it matter if others trust in their belief in one? If it were to say in a specific God i think some would be bothered a bit more for instance in Jesus we trust or in Allah we trust just because that get closer to seeming like a state religion.

If I remember correctly, American money originally had "Mind Your Business" on it because when the United States was initially founded most American citizens were business owners of some form. I don't remember the details about why it changed but I suspect it had a lot to do with industrialization pushing more and more people to become employees rather than business owners.

Now, some people would argue that this seems insensitive to non-christian cultures but all Abrahamic religions (Jeudaism, Christianity, and Islam) believe in the same god; and people who follow these faiths represent the majority of Americans (by a wide margin).

im_sneaky said:
Because most ppl are christian in the united states, and the presidents have been christian, and so the presidents have taken very christian actions to put god on your money.

Not all the presidents have been Christian.  The last non-Christian I can think of was McKinley, a Unitarian, and before that most were Naturalists and critical of Christianity, Lincoln and Jefferson, for example.

In God We Trust is on money because religion is a very easy way to get support from people.  Offering something to people after you die is a lot cheaper than offering them something while they are still alive.  As long as people are guliable enough to believe these people, it will be very easy for people seeking power to use religion.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
im_sneaky said:

Not all the presidents have been Christian.  The last non-Christian I can think of was McKinley, a Unitarian, and before that most were Naturalists and critical of Christianity, Lincoln and Jefferson, for example.

In God We Trust is on money because religion is a very easy way to get support from people.  Offering something to people after you die is a lot cheaper than offering them something while they are still alive.  As long as people are guliable enough to believe these people, it will be very easy for people seeking power to use religion.

Lol wut?

The presidents have all been members of religions incredibly similar to Christianity (Unitarianism holds many Christian values). Plus, the one I find strangest is Eisenhower being between 3 different religions.

And the last part is some propaganda bullshit that I won't even bother with.

MontanaHatchet said:
ManusJustus said:
im_sneaky said:

Not all the presidents have been Christian. The last non-Christian I can think of was McKinley, a Unitarian, and before that most were Naturalists and critical of Christianity, Lincoln and Jefferson, for example.

In God We Trust is on money because religion is a very easy way to get support from people. Offering something to people after you die is a lot cheaper than offering them something while they are still alive. As long as people are guliable enough to believe these people, it will be very easy for people seeking power to use religion.

Lol wut?

The presidents have all been members of religions incredibly similar to Christianity (Unitarianism holds many Christian values). Plus, the one I find strangest is Eisenhower being between 3 different religions.

And the last part is some propaganda bullshit that I won't even bother wiyh.

As far as I recall the only non Christian related presedent was Lincoln who was reported to be an atheist. Also Obama is the only quasi Chrisitian, he is part Muslim and probably agnostic anyway.

there is pyramid there.

and owl hidden in the one dollar bill.

lets just say USA people believe in those things.

It seems like an endorsement of belief in god to me. That's something I would call religious.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

highwaystar101 said:
@Dsister: That's good though, right? separation of church and state is a value Americans seem to support.

@ I'm sneeky: Small point not really related to the idea in your post, I'm not American lol.

Because you are cool.